I need a spot to rant about work......Ya wanna' help?

Montana

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 08:36 pm
Eve
I hope you got a front row seat for that, LOL!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 08:50 pm
Re: I need a spot to rant about work......Ya wanna' help?
TerryDoolittle wrote:
Go ahead...... This woman hasn't worked more than two five day weeks since mid-January. I mean WTF?
quote]

Hello TerryD!

Nothing worse in a situation where other employees have to cover for the one that's constantly absent. Is that what happens in your case?
That often happens in teaching, if they can't find/afford a substitute teacher for the day. The others just have to cover. This ALWAYS happens when you almost had the day off, yourself, because you REALLY thought you were coming down with the flu .... Or on Friday, when you're feeling stuffed & were counting the minutes till the weekend.
0 Replies

TerryDoolittle

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 04:38 am
Msolga--Actually, I was once this person's assistant. I seldom let things like this get to me because her job performance, or lack thereof, no longer directly affects me. I guess it's just more a morale issue when there are about twenty other members of our management team who do thier jobs and do them well. I'm usually the one telling everyone else to stop worrying about it and just "do what you have to do."

Get this: When I was promoted, she took credit for "developing" me. First of all, I didn't want the promotion and only took it because we were so short of management at the time that I was doing it more as a favor to the man whom she brings coffee every day. I had held this position once before and hated it. Nobody's more surprised than me that 2 1/2 years later I still love it this time around. Second, I had no choice but to "develop" because SOMEBODY had to do her job while she was out enjoying herself.
0 Replies

TerryDoolittle

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 04:42 am
Roger--It is not easy to get rid of someone who's been in the position for so long when their department produces in spite of their work habits.

Slappy--Now you've got me missing that old sales job. Wink
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 09:00 am
TerryDoolittle wrote:
Roger--It is not easy to get rid of someone who's been in the position for so long when their department produces in spite of their work habits.

Sure it is. Do what they do here: promote them into a meaningless and harmless, and then hope that the next person you hire (usually the first one you interview) is more capable. It's how I got where I am today...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 10:47 am
TD, Just peeking in to see what your rant is all about. There are always solutions to management problems, but it depends on the number one honcho whether they will apply them. Some will, some won't. That's the top and bottom of it. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 01:41 pm
Alot of foolishness that goes on in a working situation is allowed by the boss or manager. That's where I've always seen the problem begin. If managers cracked down on the slackers, everything would run smoother for everybody. But people are promoted to the managerial level with absolutely no clue how to go about it, and so they don't, and the slackers continue to get over. It's been that way at every job I've ever had. And that's reason #5 on the list of why I'm now self-employed. Slackers drove me crazy!
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 02:44 pm
Tee Hee. I have a friend (and yes she is a nice person who I am otherwise friendly with) I used to work with. Anyway, she is a hypochondriac (slappy, that means she thinks she's always complaining about her health ... a nymphomaniac is something slightly different ... see test.

Anyways, she was always taking half days, days off, spending all day talking to her doctor, friends, co-workers about whatever lump, bump or rash she had wrung out of her poor over-examined body. I was pissed at getting lumped with her share of the work even though we worked in different departments and my direct commenting of her abuse was falling on deaf ears. Finally she called in sick one day (I won't repeat the gross details she tended to provide of her bodily functions and ailments thereof) but let's just say I couldn't adequately explain it to her boss. Instead I suggested that he take us all out for an ice-cream sundae (it was summertime) since it was a Friday and we were (again) short-handed. He agreed and the following Monday morning when herself arrived in and heard about the company excursion, was royally peed off and verbally accosted us all. Since this upset her so much I delighted in telling her, each and every time she was out sick, at the doctor, late in because she was busy inspecting her moles in the mirror, that the boss had surprised us with perks or bonuses or whatever I thought would make her steam! She soon realized she was missing out and although most of the stuff I made up, the boss and other workers adequately embellished such tales to drive her crazy. Strangely enough her absences grew fewer and fewer ... I wonder why!
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 02:53 pm
Smile
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 02:57 pm
Heeven
I love it, LOL!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 03:23 pm
"Mental" sickness can be cured sometimes with the bait of more money. Wink
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 03:33 pm
CI
So I've heard ;-)
0 Replies

TerryDoolittle

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 04:41 pm
eoe wrote:
Alot of foolishness that goes on in a working situation is allowed by the boss or manager. That's where I've always seen the problem begin. If managers cracked down on the slackers, everything would run smoother for everybody. But people are promoted to the managerial level with absolutely no clue how to go about it, and so they don't, and the slackers continue to get over. It's been that way at every job I've ever had. And that's reason #5 on the list of why I'm now self-employed. Slackers drove me crazy!

eoe--It's not always as black and white as you make it sound here. I'm a manager myself and, due to company policy, I'm required to actually catch the slacker in the act of slacking. I have a slacker in my department who has perfected the art. She only slacks off when she knows I'm out of the building or too tied up to get anywhere near her. Other managers have caught her in the act of putting on makeup on the sales floor.....staring into space and ignoring customers......sleeping ON HER FEET!!!!!......but they are the ones who must document her behavior. Until I have that documentation from them I can't do a thing. The trouble is that none of them is willing to be responsible for another person being out of a job.

Because 50% of a management performance appraisal is sales performance my coworker will continue to slack off as long as her actual sales continue to exceed her sales goals.
0 Replies

TerryDoolittle

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 04:47 pm
Heeven--You're so wicked! I love it!

BTW, the sick princess called out today. I don't expect to see her tomorrow either since she's off Sunday and Monday. Every manager in the building coughed, sneezed, or said, "gee, I'm not feeling well" every time we crossed paths with the boss today. He's going to strangle every one of us with his bare hands.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2003 11:54 am
LOL!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2003 02:16 pm
TD, "Sick Princess?" LOL c.i.
0 Replies

TerryDoolittle

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2003 11:07 pm
Her nickname at work is Princess. She called out today too....... The boss is pretty well fed up.
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 03:44 am
673 work days to go until early retirement.

(but who's counting?)
0 Replies

TerryDoolittle

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 07:28 am
LOL Hey Jim! I think if I started counting it would only depress me. Congrats!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 10:01 am
Tough rules to fire a slacker, Terry? You should see the requirements to be met before you can test "for cause" a CDL truck driver.
0 Replies