I need a spot to rant about work......Ya wanna' help?

Misti26

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 09:05 pm
TD: Enjoy your 11 days off ... it sure is nice!

I'm getting ready myself, to do nothing for a week, just can't decide which week I'm gonna do nothing in! I'm sure it will be 2 or 3 weeks away, after all, I've got to give some notice:)

Happy sunning to yah!
0 Replies

TerryDoolittle

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 06:12 pm
So I handed in my notice at the job in question today. No more Monday Morning Rants for TerryDoousingthefwordtoomuch.
0 Replies

TerryDoolittle

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 06:14 pm
I don't think I've been in such a good mood in months! (maybe years!) Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 08:04 pm
Yippeee!!

Any particular plans for newfound freedom, or still in the basking phase?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 08:42 pm
Congratulations Terry.

Looks like one of my clients will not be able to fulfill our contract. I'm trying hard not to be pissed about it but it looks like I stand to make several thousand dollars less than projected this year. Thank goodness I didn't 'count my chickens before they hatched' but still, I sure was looking forward to making that money. And spending it.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 12:12 am
Oh my.....I am so far out of the loop anymore!

Congratulations Miss Terry!
0 Replies

TerryDoolittle

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 08:30 am
I finally came to the realization that I had a choice. I could stay at a job that I love but that is so stressful I don't even want to get out of bed in the morning because getting out of bed means I have to go to work OR I could quit and find another job in the same field that I love just as much with at least a bit less stress. The stress has begun to take a toll on my health and I have to start thinking of ME. I should have done it sooner but I didn't have the nerve. For about a year I've been saying I would find another job but have done nothing about it. I had to do something drastic to force me to get my butt in gear. I think the final straw came a couple of weeks ago when I awoke from a nightmare (about work) and I'd apparently been holding my breath in my sleep for so long that I was now having trouble catching it again.

The funniest thing is that a coworker (one of the very few I told) called me last night to make sure I was ok. She hadn't realised how miserable I've been because I'm always "Little Miss Positive."
0 Replies

TerryDoolittle

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 08:31 am
BTW, thanks for the congrats.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 08:41 am
Good on ya, TD!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 07:50 pm
Sounds like a wise choice, MissTerry. Harrowing nightmares are a sure sign that it might be time to think about alternatives ... If it was so much stress, I'm glad to hear you're outta there. What are your plans now, or are you gonna relax for a bit before thinking about "new plans" first?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 08:29 pm
TerryDoTheRightThingBaby!
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 11:47 pm
Yeah Terry, let us know what's going on?
0 Replies

TerryDoolittle

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 07:58 am
Okay, maybe I shouldn't admit this, but.....

I had a good long talk with my direct boss and with my general manager (each separately, one on one). I've decided to stay with conditions. If I need a bit of time off, I am to take it, no arguments, even though we're heading into the busiest time of year. My GM would rather lose me for a day or an afternoon than forever. Once the Christmas season is over and things calm down a bit (February), I'm taking four weeks off so I can regroup and come back at my usual 110%. We'll see what happens.

Meanwhile, I think I'll plan for a long weekend in New Orleans in February. Smile
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 08:10 am
Good luck, Ms. TerryDoingWhatSheNeedsToDo.

but the second it gets annoying again, get yer tail outta there. Seriously. You've been fussin' about this almost as long as littlek has been talking about becoming a teacher (well, not quite :wink: ).

My rule about work has always been - don't annoy me and I'll stay. And the famous saying from hamburger - One hand for yourself, and one hand for the ship. If you're more focussed on taking care of the job, than taking care of yourself, you're in trouble.

Take care of yourself first, Ms. TerryDoIsAVerySweetPerson.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 09:02 am
Hey, that's cool that your boss seems to recognize your worth anyway.

Four weeks off sounds fantastic.

Seconding what ehBeth says about staying tough about what is and isn't acceptable.
0 Replies

TerryDoolittle

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 03:15 pm
Long story short:

Promises got broken (surprise, surprise) and I threw in the towel...I'm now doing a different job for the same company (sort of) and I'm much happier and MUCH less stressed.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 03:22 pm
As long as your old boss/department thinks they can keep coming to you to clean up old problems just because you still work for the same company!

A co-worker of mine did just that - left one department because she hated it and moved to another - the old manager kept after her for this file or that file or a project she hadn't completed, and well .... she ended up leaving the company entirely to get away from him.

Don't let that happen to you. I hope you've cut the chord with the old manager and made it clear she is to treat your loss as if you left the company completely. No begging for half a day here and there to help her with cleaning up a project or whatever.

Good luck with the new position!
0 Replies

TerryDoolittle

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 03:31 pm
Thanks, Heeven. I ran into that problem day one on the new job and made it abundantly clear that it was no longer my job to deal with any of the old poop. I now consider that door closed.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 06:42 am
TerryDooooooooooo
0 Replies

TerryDoolittle

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 06:30 pm
Hey, Jes! Where's everyone hanging out? I want to track down the gang but I haven't got a lot of time for online antics right now.
0 Replies