I need a spot to rant about work......Ya wanna' help?

littlek

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 07:15 pm
Hey!
Hey!
Hey!

Hey!!!

I miss you terrydo!
0 Replies

TerryDoolittle

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 06:13 pm
<looking a bit sheepish>

Yeah, I s'pose I kinda' fell off the face of the earth there for just a bit, huh?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 07:13 pm
Just a bit.....
0 Replies

proudlybelizean

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 10:22 am
ok, i need to rant...no i need your advice most of all...this may get a bit complicated, so i'l try to keep it simple, just bare wid me. I work at a telephone company - the largest in my country, and for the first 3 out of the 6 years i'm there i was pretty much a loner, not really bothering to make any friends as it is a well know fact that of the 500+ employees 75% of them sleep around with each other and each other's spouses. Nonetheless, a couple girls did befriend me, and i thought them my true friends as we used to cook for each other, keeping my family life as separate as possible. Of course it wasn't long b4 it all got meshed into one and the expected happened, one of them slept with my husband and then passed him on to another girlfriend of hers (yes, like a trophy)....needless to say our marriage went from bad to worse, but to make a long story short - we're no longer together. Now this bi@tch works with me in the same dept. and while it doesn't eat at me that i see her everyday, what's getting to me is that she uses her seniority (she's there 10+yrs.) to always put me down. I dont' know how much longer i can take it, its been 2 years since the whole marriage thing, i'd expect them to have cooled off by now, but every now and again they rile up all over again. So i've been working on my plan B - opening my own biznis, but i'd just like to hear what would be the best blow out way i could just shove it in their faces and resign and get my life back!!!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 10:25 am
Do it. Resign and get your life back. That's the best blowout of all. Letting them know that they didn't stop your roll.
0 Replies

TerryDoolittle

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 09:57 am
Resign, but with a new, better job.
0 Replies

TerryDoolittle

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 07:21 am
OOOOOOOOOHhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish I had time for a really good rant right now, but I don't. Maybe tonight after work...I'll save it!
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 10:16 am
My advice, is to let go of the past it will only distract you from what you need to be doing in the present. It sounds as if you've never been happy, or even challenged, by working for this company. It probably is time to move on, but do it carefully and with full consideration of what you are stepping into.

We have no idea from your posting where you are, and so it is impossible to assess the career possiblities you might have. If the largetst telephone company in the country has only 500 employees, I'm guessing you are in one of the world's underdeveloped nations. That does indeed constrain the possible alternatives to making a living. Are there any local customs that constrain what sort of work women may engage in? Are you "in step" with local belief systems?

Another problem is that you've given us no indication of your background, goals, skills, and resources. All of these factors, and more, have to be considered in choosing your path. How much do you have to earn to live a reasonable, but modest life-style now? Do you have savings that can support you for a year, or even six months?

A few general observations might be made. Most first businesses fail in less than one year. The rate of failure for restaurants is among the hightest for any new business. Common causes for business failure (in no particular order) are: under capitalization, bad location, wrong business for the businessl envirornment, lack of business experience, poor product, lack of sound planning, failure to attract a solid customer base, and inability by the business owner to make the sacrafices necessary to run a business. Being an employee does not prepare most people to manage a business, much less to create one. These all require different sorts of people with very different skill-sets. The bottom line here is, do not try to start a business unless you have very carefully planned for it, have ample resources, are able to provide superior service/product, and are willing to become a slave to the business for at least five years. Even then the odds will probably be no better than 50-50.

I'm sorry to have to be so negative, but creating businesses are tough and many beautiful dreams rapidly become nightmares. When you put everything you are and own into a business that fails, it is absolutely devastating. Have a fall back continguency plan. Be prepared to face the worst, and your odds of making the business work are enhanced.

What other job alternatives are available to you? Changing employment from one firm to another is sometimes a better, at least safer, choice. Is your skill-set to in high demand? Have you investigated what other jobs/positions are available?

Now as to how you leave your present position. Don't leave them angry and vengeful, leave them laughing. These people may be able to sabotage the telephone service you will need later. They can put a bad reputation on you in the business community. They may not be friends, but don't give them "reason" to be relentless enemies. Keep up a good, even cheerful front right up until you walk out the door. Don't talk about your plans with co-workers, just get all of your ducks in a row then act. It may be useful if you start a business, to get it up and running before you leave your present employment. Your greatest satisfaction will come later when you've risen above the sort of pettiness described in your posting.

Determine your long term goal. Plan and prepare to meet the objectives you necessary to attain the goal. Plan for the worst case scenario, and work to exceed your intermediate objectives. Focus on the moment without being distracted by the past, or dreams of the future. Sacrifice willingly. Build teams and support networks to assist in reaching goals and objectives.
0 Replies

TerryDoolittle

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 06:25 pm
Asherman wrote:
I'm sorry to have to be so negative...

Not negative, Asherman, sobering...and valuable advice as well.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 06:58 pm
I suspect this may be where ProudlyBelizean lives:

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/bh.html
0 Replies

TerryDoolittle

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 03:31 pm
New rant: Tell me about your bad neighbor!

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2562642&sid=4026422c0942ac16d46ef0cc9bf27f18#2562642
0 Replies