Let's pretend my penis is a jellyfish!

gustavratzenhofer

Sun 16 Oct, 2005 03:37 pm
Not for long, boomer. Not for long.
0 Replies

boomerang

Sun 16 Oct, 2005 04:27 pm
<humph>

I was going to the bookstore anyway because I've been wanting to read "Starvation Heights".

No copies in stock.

Okay. How about "Harmful To Minors"

We don't stock it but we can order it for you.

Done.

It wasn't a wasted trip though - I picked up a cool book volcanos with lots of stuff about Mt. St Helens! Perfect field trip preperation!
0 Replies

Chai

Mon 17 Oct, 2005 08:14 am
Hey Boom

Thanks for the explanation....

and please don't think I'm being a killjoy or self appointed authority noddy and cj

as I've already said, I know nothing about children, and would be a horrible mother.

I probably shouldn't even be here, expect the whole jellyfish penis thing drew me in.
0 Replies

sozobe

Mon 17 Oct, 2005 09:20 am
Yes, boomer sure has a way with titles!!! :-D
0 Replies

boomerang

Mon 17 Oct, 2005 09:23 am
I don't know much about kids either, Chai Tea. I was very much like you before my life was upended. I never thought I'd be a good mother but I think I've risen to the occassion.

I've had a crash course, thanks to the kind people of A2K mostly, and I have a lot to learn.

One thing I have learned it that there is a huge difference between theory and practice.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Mon 17 Oct, 2005 09:29 am
I once pretended my penis was a pencil and put it in the pencil sharpener and had to... wait I mean I don't have a penis... *cough cough*
0 Replies

Chai

Mon 17 Oct, 2005 11:07 am
Wait one darn minute there Crazie, that's my line from '10 stupid things men do with their penis'

'use it to see if the pencil sharpeners working'

one of the others was - use it to dislodge the toast from the toaster.

Wow- putting it that way, pretending it's a jellyfish is downright sensible!
0 Replies

Devious Britches

Fri 28 Oct, 2005 01:34 pm
I just love reading your posts. One, because often I am going through the same thing and don't feel soo out in left field lol.
The one year old in my home has discovered his penis and I have no clue how to get him to leave it alone. I saw where they said that they were glad to have girls lol umm Nooooo I have a girl and she discovered herself early too. I have the same concerns that you have as to if they do this with no worry of you being around what will they do with strangers. I took her to the doctor right away when I caught her touching to make sure no one had done anything to her and The doctor flat out told me what she was doing is normal. I thought WHAT but she's only 2. Went to several other doctors to get more opinions and they all said the same. That her parts were a little bigger and there for more sensative and it feels good to her so she does what she does. Soooo I learned not to freak out and went into the some things you do in private mode and it seems to of worked she is now 7 now and I haven't caught her touching in public THANK GOD. But explaining no no do that in private or not at all to a 1 year old is not so easy. Since he has found his little friend it has been hell to get him to keep his diaper on. I catch him streaking through the house several times a day. He sees me and takes off laughing holding himself. Anyhow did you nip the jellyfish in the bud or is he still bringing it up.
0 Replies

dlowan

Fri 28 Oct, 2005 05:38 pm
That's a little scary...nipping a jellyfish penis in the bud........yoicks!
0 Replies

boomerang

Fri 28 Oct, 2005 06:02 pm
OUCH, dlowan. I'm not a boy and I can't even think about that.

Hi DB! You know, I really try not to act like his penis is any different from any other part of his body.

He still enjoys playing jellyfish with his spray soap but he has not again pretended that his penis is a jellyfish at dry off time. Hopefully that was a one time only, need a handy jellyfish moment.

I've been reading the book Noddy recomended "Harmful to Minors" and it is fascingating! It is a slow-go due to the complexity of the material and my limited time to read but well worth the effort.

And it really is reinforcing my inclinatition that his penis shouldn't be treated any different, okay not any.... shouldn't be treated much different than any other body part.

I've been laughing at myself and thinking about all these women who said "Thankfully I am raising a girl!".

Boys are different in that they have this highly visible, easy to reach, cool little part that I just can't relate to having. It presents a spin on body talk that I have yet to conquer but I'm working on it.

Our latest thing is "the little girl who lives in the hallway".

Imaginary friend?

Ghost?

I don't have the vaguest idea but it is still easier than penis jellyfish!
0 Replies

Devious Britches

Sat 29 Oct, 2005 10:20 pm
LOl went through the imaginary friend thing with my daughter. Worried me more so cause she can't see haha. The thought that she may be hearing voices crossed my mind. And the fact that a blind child would have an imaginary friend was fascinating to me. One time she came running to me and told me that she was thristy so I gave her a glass of water. She took a few drinks then "shared" with the friend pouring it all over the floor. This friend stuck around for a wile not sure when she finally got rid of him or if she even has. She didn't like that I would try to catch him, said I was rude hehe.
So yep imaginary friend is way more fun than playfull bodyparts lol. Unless you get a bad behaving friend. Interesting that he chose a little girl for a friend mine did the same she chose a boy, and an alian named ALGore, 11 foot high and 10 wide. I use to hear her yell at him alot for many reason like he was slobbery and liked to tickle her and woudln't let her sleep. So every now and then I would hear her kicking him out of the room and slamming the door lol. I think he was the first one she grew out of. But it was kind of fun sorta miss it haha. Maybe I'll get a kid one day that comes with one. Well enjoy her and hope she is a good lil girl that doesn't get him in trouble smile.
0 Replies

boomerang

Sun 30 Oct, 2005 10:37 am
You know, that IS an interesting idea to think about -- a blind child's imaginary friend!

It really make me shed preconceived notions of appearance. I have a feeling that I'll be thinking on this for a while.

AlGore! You've gotta love that. As far as I know hallway girl doesn't have a name She only shows up every once in a while.

There was a GREAT article in my paper today about the difference that a good foster parent can make in a child's life. It is kind of long but I thought that you and others here might enjoy reading this story: http://www.oregonlive.com/search/index.ssf?/base/front_page/113058191655310.xml?oregonian?fpfp&coll=7
0 Replies

Noddy24

Sun 30 Oct, 2005 02:32 pm
Boomer--

Your link doesn't work--even after I registered for the site.
0 Replies

boomerang

Sun 30 Oct, 2005 05:17 pm
Hmmm....

It didn't work for me either.

If you go to www.oregonlive.com

and type the name kayla nickle into "search" you should get an article titled: Fierce spirit lifts child from abuse to health
Power to heal With loving care in a new foster home, Kayla Nickel adds 60 pounds and 6 inches and faces her abusers with resolve

It is an amazing article. I didn't realize that you would have to sign up to read it (the Oregonian is a good paper though). I can post it -- but it's a pretty long article. Well worth reading.
0 Replies

dlowan

Sun 30 Oct, 2005 06:03 pm
Nope...that didn't work for me either.
0 Replies

boomerang

Sun 30 Oct, 2005 06:43 pm
Well.......

Okay. I'm making it all up!

Not really.

I'm going to go get the story and post it since people want to read it and The Oregonian seems to want to keep it local.

Hang on.....
0 Replies

boomerang

Sun 30 Oct, 2005 06:51 pm
Here it is....

Quote:
When authorities rescued Kayla Nickel a month before her 10th birthday in December 2003, the girl weighed 261/2 pounds and was near death, curled in a fetal position beneath her bed.

She was so malnourished, her skin was sloughing off in sheets. Her bones jutted through her skin. Her teeth were rotten, her hair unkempt. She refused to speak.

Last month, a pink-cheeked 11-year-old wearing a purple velour dress sat confidently on a courtroom witness stand to face the couple who had starved and abused her for five years after adopting her from the state foster care system.

As startling as Kayla's resolve was her appearance.

In the months since she had been removed from the home of Tammy and Christopher Nickel, both 33 of Salem, she had grown 6 inches, gained more than 60 pounds and learned to read and write. A psychologist testified to a "miraculous recovery."

With the Nickels scheduled to be sentenced Monday to as many as five years in prison, psychologists and social scientists puzzle as to why some children, such as Kayla, are able to overcome extreme circumstances such as neglect and abuse and find well-being and success, while others are defeated.

Kayla told the court that, with the Nickels, she often became so thirsty that she drank from the toilet, and she was closed in her room for hours and days. When she was given food -- rarely anything other than oatmeal and Spam -- she ate alone in her room while the Nickels and their biological son ate together elsewhere.

She testified that Chris Nickel once held a gun to her head and threatened to kill her when she tried to sneak a piece of pizza from the kitchen. Records show the Nickels kept Kayla out of school for four years.

"Resilience is complicated," says Dr. Paul Fink, professor of psychiatry at Temple University School of Medicine and past president of the American Psychiatric Association. "It doesn't happen magically. In addition to all the external factors, some people just have the internal strength to make it out of the void."

Aid of "essential witness"

Experts agree that, as major risk factors add up, so does the toll on the child.

Still, children can learn skills to help them overcome adversity.

Researchers have identified several factors -- such as feeling a sense of purpose and future, or experiencing the unconditional love of at least one person -- that significantly increase chances that a "damaged" child will become a productive member of society.

Fink and other experts agree that perhaps the most powerful resilience factor for children who have been severely abused or neglected is finding an adult who will be their champion and their sounding board.

"The only way a child can get resilient enough to withstand a 10th of what Kayla experienced," Fink says, "is to have, somewhere in her life, an 'essential witness' -- somebody who has the capacity, empathy and willingness to put in a lot of hours of painful work to get this child back to a normal level."

In Kayla's case, it appears that Neil and Brandy Plaster, the foster parents who took her in after she was removed from the Nickels, have had a profound impact.

The couple became Kayla's "essential witness" -- enlightened people who could help a child like Kayla recognize the injustices she had suffered and allow her to vent feelings of rage, pain and indignation. Children who have such an outlet, Fink says, are often able to overcome even the most severe types of abuse.

Psychologists use the word "resilience" to describe this ability to bounce back from adversity.

Resilience, researchers agree, is a complex and unpredictable process. Studies that track children into adulthood show that parental bonds influence future success more than almost any other factor. So does being born with the right personality. A child with an easygoing temperament or a certain amount of intelligence, for example, appears to have an advantage.

But what of children such as Kayla who endure numerous factors known to weaken resilience -- violence, physical abuse, exposure to alcoholism or drug abuse and removal from the home?

Kayla had also been abused and neglected by her biological parents, drug users who, court records show, left Kayla and her sister alone for days at a time. Before the Nickels adopted Kayla at age 5 in 1999, she had been shuffled through nine foster families in two years.

The Plasters first saw Kayla at the Salem Hospital emergency room, hours after she was removed from the Nickels' house. She had weeping pressure sores and numerous bruises.

"I had to step out of the room to contain myself so I wouldn't cry in front of her," Brandy Plaster says. "Every bone was visible, and it was very startling and upsetting."

But what bothered Plaster even more was Kayla's emotional state.

"The most unusual thing . . . was how apologetic she was," Plaster testified. "She kept saying, 'I'm sorry for being so disgusting. I'm sorry for being such a pig. I'm sorry for being so bad.' She promised that if we would take her home, she would be good."

Neil Plaster testified at trial: "We've never had a child deprived to the level Kayla was. She was starved intellectually, emotionally, physically. The only thing she was rich in was fear."

The couple told how they listened to her pain and reassured her that what had happened was not her fault.

They rubbed lotion lovingly on her skin until it healed. They reassured her that the Nickels would not be allowed to take her back. They consistently, constantly told her that it was her right, no matter what, to have food.

After the hospital stabilized her body chemistry, the Plasters slowly reintroduced her to foods. When she didn't recognize peaches or ketchup, or the difference between salad dressing and mustard, they explained it to her without making her feel foolish.

When she started to talk about the things she had experienced with the Nickels, the Plasters simply listened and provided love.

Marion County Circuit Judge Joseph Guimond recognized the impact that the Plasters, who have operated a Salem foster home for 12 years, have had on Kayla.

"I want to thank the foster parents," he said, shortly after convicting the Nickels on three counts each of criminal mistreatment. "The one bright spot in this horrible case is how this child is doing now, and you folks deserve a lot of the credit."

While Kayla's doctors and counselors credit the Plasters with her progress, they also suspect that, despite state records to the contrary, she likely connected to a caregiver as an infant.

She also possesses a talent -- another resiliency factor that can be nurtured and give a child confidence. In Kayla's case, her ability to draw helps her feel more powerful.

Several months after her removal from the Nickels' home, Kayla drew a picture at a therapy appointment. It showed the Nickels behind jail bars.

She labeled the picture "I hope."

Thriving, but vulnerable

Psychologists say the Plasters' love and care, if uninterrupted, can create a chain reaction that leads to long-lasting success.

Kayla continues to progress. She loves school. She's healthy and playful. There's no reason, her therapists testified, not to expect more progress.

Experts agree that children such as Kayla remain tremendously vulnerable, and systems need to be set up to help them.

Because of post-traumatic stress, Kayla will need to be protected from instability and cruelty, Fink says.

"The state can't fail this child again," he says. "If someone comes along and is cruel to her and hurts her in some way, she will regress.

"Right now, she's flourishing because someone is looking after her."

Experts say Kayla possesses the most intangible, yet possibly most powerful factor of resilience: a heart, or what one psychiatrist terms the "indomitable fighting spirit."

It's visible in the way she has bonded with her foster parents and siblings. It was in her eyes when she sat in court to face the couple who nearly starved her to death. And it was there -- a glimmer of resolve -- in the hours after her rescue as she fought for her life in a hospital bed.

To anyone who would listen, Kayla had something to say:

"I'm here to get strong," she repeated over and over. "I'm here to get better."

Michelle Roberts: 503-294-5041; [email protected]

This got a bit jumbled. I hope I put it back together correctly.
0 Replies

jespah

Sun 30 Oct, 2005 07:19 pm
Try this link: http://www.oregonlive.com/metro/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/news/112738677936470.xml&coll=7&thispage=2
0 Replies

sozobe

Sun 30 Oct, 2005 07:26 pm
Great article.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Sun 30 Oct, 2005 09:39 pm
Sometimes I believe in the Death Penalty.
0 Replies