Sisterhood of Big-Footed Women & others forgotten by fashion

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 12:46 pm
Louise

I hope you are not making unfavourable references towards elephants. I know its tempting, but in your position, some forethought and judicious assessment of factual evidence er............oh balls just say it Smile
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 12:51 pm
Well, Lord E, I looked at it more pragmatic - but Calfornia State Capitol and career diplomacy doesn't exclude. In Austria, I mean.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 12:55 pm
actually Walter, the longer I've been on a2k, the more I'm convinced a fair number of posters have had work in the diplomatic service of one country or another.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 01:03 pm
Well, there's always someone in a company who is a glaring example of what not to do.

PS Maybe the elephants reference is a GOP thing? I dunno, seems we already got a forum fer that.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 01:18 pm
The more I think of it, the more I'm sure I recognise some "diplomatic speak" everywhere I go on A2K.

When I was in charge of her brittanic Majesty's diplomatic outpost in N'Zoutoland, during the uprising in 1903, I had to step in and try to defuse the situation, using very similar language.

I found myself being strung up by the M'bolo's, mind you.....but at least I tried.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 01:31 pm
Mmmh, unfortunately I'm still not allowed to report about what I leant to know as chargé d'affairs New Pago-Pago.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 02:04 pm
jespah wrote:
When Friends went off the air, so did three out of I think it was four Jewish characters in prime time (the other is Grace from Will & Grace; I don't believe there's anyone else).

It is sad. It is disturbing. The world does not look like TV. I understand it is a fantasy and it is meant to have a certain look/feel/whatever, but really, why the heck is it so difficult to think of a Jewish star ship captain or an Asian newspaper reporter or a Hispanic person fighting demons? Heck, I'm still wondering why Jack and Bobby can't be Jack and Bobbie.

I know we're way off topic, but hey, it's your topic! I just wanted to point out that Josh Lyman and Toby Ziegler on The West Wing are nominally Jewish as well. Occasionally more than nominal, for that matter. Not that that's enough, of course!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 02:06 pm
<I love youse guys>
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 02:25 pm
N'Zoutoland '03?

Yes I heard about you stepping in.

Those elephants, nasty business...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 02:33 pm
It was all the dung, you know...
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 02:46 pm
Oh no, this "Louise" is much too direct to be a career diplomat. But the innate sensitivity, tact and kindness she has displayed do suggest she might consider a lifetime position as a member of the clergy.

(Get thee to a nunnery, Louise.)
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 02:47 pm
happy new year!

<looking aroung>

...er, was that way out of line?
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 03:21 pm
...and a Happy Mahogany to you too, Dag.

Now......back to fashion.

Why is it that that women have some sort of inbuilt brain requirement to look at a minimum of 20 pairs of shoes before making a selection.

The number of potential shoe candidates increases, of course, in direct relation to the hunger level of the accompanying male "follower".

Sometimes, by the time Lady E has selected a pair of shoes, my stomach thinks that my throat has been cut. The Paramedics then have to literally carry me to the nearest Pub for an infusion of Steak and Kidney pie, washed down with a pint or two of Abbot Ale.

Such a waste of public resources.........why?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 03:30 pm
Rosh Hosana, Lordy. Jewish New Year. It's today. or was yesterday. Talking about dem jews i thought i'd throw that one out there...
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 03:38 pm
It's Today -

BTW - why are there no threads on Judism in the S&M, I mean S&R Forum

Jewish men, mmmmmm.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 06:17 am
Eep (hides RP).

Oy!

Actually, Rosh Hashanah is a two-night affair. We celebrate a lot. C'mon over, we'll have chicken, some wine, a little apples and honey (so that you all have a sweet year) and the like. The big greeting is, "May you be inscribed in the book of life for another year." On Yom Kippur is when you get sealed in the book of life (well, your name is, you, on the other hand, are free to move about 'n stuff).

But I digress.

Maybe, Lord E, you dashing gentleman you, you could suggest a steak & kidney pie stand next to every shoe shop. You drop off the missus, she takes care of, ahem, her needs, and you go next door and fulfill, um, your, er, desires. Meet afterwards, everyone's content.

There is definitely a genetic difference between men and women shopping. Men tend to be more hunter-gatherers (this isn't always true, bear with me here), e. g. grab it fast and leave. Oh, look, it's three sizes too small. Or, uh oh, it's the wrong color. Or, oops, I meant to get a tie but I got a speedo instead. And you tend to not return such things. These things are left in the back of the closet until the next time you move.

Women, on the other hand (again, not always), tend to be more deliberative, it's more of an experience. Slow process. Check rack, check rack a second time, try on, fiddle, push up, pull down, whatever, twirl around, then weed out or maybe don't weed out, even take it home if unsure, and try on with other wardrobe things before trying. Then either return (sometimes after one complete wearing) or shove in back of closet, also to be left there until the next moving date.

PS Will make a New Year's topic in S & R if there isn't one by now. Thanks for the reminder, Chai. Smile
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 06:25 am
what is it about the first pair of shoes? each time i go hunting for shoes, i end up buying the first pair. not immediately, no. that would be too simple. instead i put them down, circle the city a few times, which takes hours, and then go back to the first store and buy the first pair i picked up. i should finally learn to just bloody buy it right away and be done...
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 06:48 am
Your Highness-

A lady who has you tethered to the spike knows that if you have any money another lady will seek to muscle in on what she considers her domain.

Hence she will have a general policy to render you skint or even debt ridden.All this other guff you see is mere propaganda to try to render you supine and to obfusticate the real motive.

Of course the irony is that just as rivals find skint,supine chavs (see Curry's and Butlin's) contemptible so does she.

So put down thy foot with a bang.They respect that.
And you'll have more spare for booze,fags and betting.

They are all the same with a sack over their heads aren't they?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 07:07 am
Nah. That's men.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 07:20 am
I'm laughing thinking about all the guys who have delved into this thread enthusiastically. I thought they would steer clear of women/shopping subject. Good to know we have some men who are comfortable in their wifes shoes (so to speak).
0 Replies