Sisterhood of Big-Footed Women & others forgotten by fashion

littlek

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 06:08 pm
I'm a size 8/10/12 depending on brand and style. I went into the Gap Outlet store today and tried on 8 pairs of pants of different sizes, lengths and styles - none of them fit right. And the thing was that some were too short, some too long, some too tight/too loose - but, it didn't seem to correlate with the actual sizing. Very odd.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 06:16 pm
BorisKitten wrote:
It's like it's illegal or something to show a plus-size woman wearing plus-sized clothing. I mean, jeez, Who Else is gonna wear it?

I believe it is a corporal sin...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 06:17 pm
BorisKitten wrote:
It's like it's illegal or something to show a plus-size woman wearing plus-sized clothing. I mean, jeez, Who Else is gonna wear it?

I believe it is a corporal sin...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 06:18 pm
Hah, I can too double post. It's by back button trick...
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 06:47 pm
I get talls from JJill as well. The talls end up on sale quite often so I buy nicer stuff from them. The outerware in talls is a great find because I can't find it anywhere else besides Eddie Bauer.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 07:13 pm
And I remember a pair of Eddie Bauer boots fondly, for the calf expansion. I was skinny then but with some calf muscles..
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 07:20 pm
Several years ago I read that one of the mail order companies was offering a size-your-own-jeans by computer.

L.L. Bean?

Land's End?

Did anyone try this?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 07:34 pm
Spent 6 hours looking for a freaking pair of jeans this weekend. They are all made for stick figures. I hate it.

I do love that I have tiny feet. I wear a 6 1/2 which means all the cute shoes are still around when they go on sale. It's such a bonus!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 07:43 pm
Both of my cousins are tallish - 5-11? - and swear by Lands End.

I'm a thrift store queen-addict, and rarely do catalogs, except for my 2003 linen extravagance and my 2005 shawlscaftans from smithsonian thing. But then I am 5'5.

My local Discovery shop often has largish shoes. I am not sure why. They get lots of donations from stores..

My second favorite thrift, which I've posted about before, was the Discovery shop around Pico and Doheny... that's where I got an Alan Austin white wool suit, and my grey armani blazer, oh, yeah, and the camelhair eisenhower jacket...

Thrifts have, usually, some span of contributors. I was sort of disappointed when I landed here in northnorth, re a full range of goods... but I quickly acclimated to depth within the range that's here.

You can see I'm an old shopping addict. I assuage my needs with the occasional walnut pesto jar. The question is - satisfaction, where does it happen - I mean besides the obvious. Delight in what's there.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 07:45 pm
I have the best time at a consignment shop called Plato's Closet (it's a chain). That way, I have a bunch of different brands to choose from and don't hav to go to 10 different stores to find one pair of pants.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 07:54 pm
I found jeans that actually fit me a couple of weeks ago at Avenue. It's similar to Lane Bryant, maybe a little cheaper.

And hey, they were size 22, down from 28. Weight Watchers works...I really could testify about that.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 08:09 pm
EWWWW...PLATFORMS!!! No way, no HOW...I don't do platforms..lol

The only thing I wear with a heel on it is, Justin boots. Gotta have my lace ups!! LOL
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 08:39 pm
littlek, yep, the varieties in sizing is annoying. Men, too, evidently, when you'd think with the numbers for waist and inseam it'd be foolproof. E.G. has to try on about 10 different pairs of jeans at Old Navy before he finds ones that fit, and they might be in any combination of 32, 33, and 34 (both waist and inseam).

(Re: Plus-size models, one thing I like about J.Jill is that it's a "regular" clothes company that extends into larger sizes. But yeah, a little diversity wouldn't hurt. They already have racially and, uh, chronologically? diverse models (some of 'em have -gasp- white hair!!), you'd think they could go that extra step...)

I read a while back that Gap is or is thinking of opening a store for the 35 and up set. That would be interesting, wonder what they'd come up with.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 09:06 pm
Oh, prolly 42...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 09:07 pm
The intersesting to me is that higher ups must be 42 or more..

do they just jump off a cliff? 42 is, to me, on the young side...
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 11:15 pm
I haven't been shopping in many moons. And when I was in shopping mode, I shopped from catalogs.

Complaints:

If the top fits across the chest, then the arms are too long and the collar is too wide.

If I can manage to close the pants, then the legs are too long.

I've lost a lot of weight recently. I'm fitting into stuff I haven't been able to get into for ages. When I say "fitting," I mean fitting in the nonfitting way these things used to not fit me.

If I keep losing weight, I will eventually be all out of old stuff to fit back into. I might be inclined to make a joke here about how I'd be down to my skin, and that fits. But the fact is, it doesn't. Some of it does, but some of it still thinks I'm heavier than I am. Hey, skin! I'm in here, not out there.

Nothing has ever fit right. Nothing ever will. I accept; I move on.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 11:44 pm
Well, you fit us ok, and we hope we fit you.

Smoooooooooooooooooooooches.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 05:40 am
Ah yes, skinny models showing off plus-sized clothing. Except for Emme, who you'd think is the only plus-sized model on the planet. I mean, what about the actress Lesley Boone? Or Marisa Jaret Winokur, who was on Broadway recently? Anyone ever think of approaching them for a little modeling?

'Course that would be logical, and we can't have that.

Roberta, Boston Magazine did an article on folks who had lost weight through bariatric surgery (plus, unfortunately, some stories of people who had had horrible complications, but I digress), and most of these folks still had flaps of skin under their arms, because of formerly being heavy. And the article said they call them wings. Which I thought was kinda sweet.

And I'm with Deb, you definitely fit here. Smile

Today is, I suppose you could say, Lane Bryant day for me. LB jeans plus and LB sleeveless turtleneck (light blue, very ice cream-y). Plus New Balance sneakahs. I am a vision in casualwear.

Did I say I was going to start dressing more formally for work? Um, maybe next week.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 05:44 am
The latest thing here is the "gypsy bolero" look.Mid calf,loose hanging with pleats and slighty flared with a lacy edge worn with black stockings and sussies and high heels with two ankle straps and peepy toes of soft yielding pink and red varnish nails.Magnetic!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 05:51 am
spendius wrote:
The latest thing here is the "gypsy bolero" look.Mid calf,loose hanging with pleats and slighty flared with a lacy edge worn with black stockings and sussies and high heels with two ankle straps and peepy toes of soft yielding pink and red varnish nails.Magnetic!

spendius- Your post took me back to when I was working. My secretary (who was a couple of years older than I was) loved to tease me that I was always ten years behind the times when it came to fashion. I was thinking, when I read your post, that she would run right out and buy the "gypsy bolero" look.

As far as I was concerned, if it fit, looked well, and made me look thinner, I would wear it, no matter what the era from whence it came!
0 Replies