Sisterhood of Big-Footed Women & others forgotten by fashion

Eva

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 09:47 am
I have very definite shoulders, but I still have to pin scarves, etc., back. Everytime you move, they slide off.

How about a brooch? Or is that too European for a sari?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 10:08 am
oooh, i love the blue saree. i do wear a lot of things in just that color. in fact, i brought a a blouse from india in just that color. with yellow embroidered flowers. i can also see myself in this. i have a dress from almost the same material. hmmmmmmmmmm.

http://www.utsavsarees.com/pages/images/Saree/SCCL25/SCCL25_enlarge.jpg
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 10:11 am
-sigh- saris -sigh-

Love 'em. I wore my favorite one once, to a party with a "spy" theme (I was Mata Hari). It was so fun to wear, but totally there on the Westerner Affecting Foreign Airs thing.

Adore them, though.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 10:18 am
You know, Dag, that brown-red-green was exactly the color combination that I thought of for you! But I can see how the blue-green color would work too, especially with your turquoise nose thingy.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 11:03 am
hey, i can wear them all (or at least have in my closet to look at)

on second thought....no purple for me.
0 Replies

sakhi

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 10:11 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
I have a feeling that saris need shoulders.

The First Mr. Noddy was badly flawed, but he did restore shoulders to the genetic line.

When uncontaminated, we are Pyramid People.

Smile...I have small shoulders too...but as Jespah said, creative safety-pinning works Smile
Also, the specialty of the sari is that you can choose to accentuate what you want to. if you have small shoulders, you should pleat the sari into neat folds and then put it over your shoulder (and of course pin it up). If you have definite shoulders like Eva and Soz, you can wear the sari without pleats, in just one layer over your shoulder - just like the model in Dagamaraka's pic.

A brooch with a sari - looks nice, especially with a plain, single colured sari.

Dag, that sari is beautiful too. Must be silk. The ones I linked to were cotton.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 08:06 am
Sakhi--

Thanks for the encouragement.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 10:20 am
I thought about this thread all day yesterday. I was trying to wear a long scarf flipped over my shoulder, and it wouldn't stay put.

No purple, Dag? Bbbbbut....your avatar.....???
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 01:51 pm
I keep finding these topics with people who I miss. Neutral
spendius

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 06:01 pm
@jespah,
When did I comment on a thread like this?
Rockhead

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 06:03 pm
@spendius,
I'll give odds on alcohol being involved...

Wink
spendius

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 06:05 pm
@Rockhead,
You would be no good as a bookie Rocky. You would soon be skint.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 06:08 pm
@spendius,
Yer prolly correct, I do better as a consumer there...

From personal experience, if I were to have commented on a thread of this type, I would have been drinking prior to posting, my friend.

Wink
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 08:55 am
To get back to the topic at hand -- and spendi, I'm not looking up your posts for you; I'm sure you can find them all by yourself -- I've noticed a lot of funky weirdnesses because most of my clothes are now too big for me.

Of course, that makes sense, they are whatever size and my body is now whatever minus three -- but what I'm seeing is how the sizes run. Back to, I think, the first or second page of this topic, people were talking about larger women's tank tops as having huge armholes. And I am really seeing that now. I can still get them on and they are basically decent on me, except for the armholes. Pants are too long -- that's a part of how larger women are fitted, and it's really not an accurate way of doing such things -- bigger sizes run longer in the torso (good) and in the legs (bad). I mean, I had a gut (I still have one, but it's smaller) but my legs didn't get any longer. What's up with that?

It's not a bad problem to have, of course, having clothes that are too large. But essentially what ends up happening is that once I'm more thantwo or so sizes from what the garment is supposed to be, all pretenses of wearing it for anything other than sleepwear are out the window. Belts don't matter, cinching does not matter. These are clothes that aren't nice enough to bother altering. So I can definitively say, that's where the limit is.
mac11

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 05:56 pm
@jespah,
Amen sister. You know I know all about these weirdnesses. I have no advice other than not spending any more on clothes than absolutely necessary until you get where you're going!

Someone asked me the other day how many times I've replaced my wardrobe. I've dropped seven or eight sizes. I don't want to figure out how much I've spent on clothes the last three years.
jespah

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 06:18 pm
@mac11,
Oy. On one of the diet/fitness sites I go to, I have a friend who I've sent some of my old clothes to. She doesn't have anything to send to me but I'm glad at least someone gets a few more wearings out of 'em.
spendius

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 11:00 am
@jespah,
jespah--Can the Brit thread you locked still be consulted?

And, would you mind clearing up the mystery why it was locked?
jespah

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 12:56 pm
@spendius,
Yes it can be consulted, and no, I will not discuss why it was locked. Moderation is not discussed on the site.
0 Replies