Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 07:53 am
Boston weather report -- today temps expected to be way up in the 60s F. Snow and sleet tomorrow with a 2-inch accummulation. Go figure.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 08:45 am
Sounds like the New Mexican weather report. Chilli to day - hot tamale!

Geeze, the properly cluttered mind saves garbage like this for years waiting for the right opportunity.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 09:12 am
I like it though, the NM Weather Report... Worth the save!

It's 39 de-frigid-grees over here. F.

At least I finally saw the moon last night. Sheeesh. A full sky of clouds? Who wants 'em?
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 09:39 am
WA..Is that Washington State?
I figured it can´t be Western Australia if it´s only 39 degrees.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 10:00 am
Yes. Isn't that funny that Western Australia has the same ID? And it's also in the upper left hand corner.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 10:29 am
Piffka, you did not see the moon. That were just a big, bright cloud. (The moon, in Washington -- our dark, damp corner -- in the middle of November. Dream on!)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 10:34 am
Hear about the two critters that left the lounge at the motel and got into an argument about whether the bright light up there was the sun or the moon? Another one came out and they tried to get him to settle it for them. "Hey buddy! Help us out. Ish that the moon up there, or the sun?" He thought for a minute and gave up. "How come you are asking me? I'm from out of town myself."
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 11:07 am
Heeheehee, Roger. LOL. I love critter humor.

And PD, I did too see that moon or at least a very bright round cloud... I admit, there were clouds around, but it was the right spot, I swear.

I've been watching and watching (and watching and watching). If we were Muslims and waiting to break our fast, we'd be starved to death.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 11:57 am
We've had some rain! Not much, I admit, but enough to lay the dust here in Sydney, and perhaps a tiny bit of relief for the garden. Unfortunately, it was nothing like the drought-breaking rain needed, but it should dampen the bushfires. The drought is really biting in the country, and even us city-folks will be moving on to water restrictions soon.

Piffka
Western Australia is not only the top left hand corner of Oz, but the whole left hand side - it's a huge state - probably about 1/3 the size of the USA 48 states. No rain there, either
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 12:02 pm
Bushfires? I thought you said there were bushfires... Must not be where Deb is, huh?

Yeah and I knew some smartie Aussie would correct my faulty geography... 1/3 the size of the continental U.S.? What's the best thing in WA?

Here, I'd say, Mt. Rainier or else the Sound, or else the San Juans.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 12:22 pm
No, definitely Microsoft, yeah, Microsoft. Redmond rules. Such culture.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 12:33 pm

Piffka
I don't mean to be smart (Don't have the makings!) - but I'm aware there is limited knowledge of Australia out there, so I almost always explain.

Western Australia is a huge state, and everything seems big, and far apart, but it's predominantly desert.
In the very southwestern corner there are spectacular forests, and brilliant wildflowers in spring. Also good beaches and wine country. Perth is an interesting capital city.

To the north - there's swimming with the dolphins at Monkey Mia, Broome, with it's tide changes of a couple of kilometres, pearl diving and spectacular coastlines . There's iron ore and diamond mining in the Kimberleys.
Inland is mostly cattle farming, and the farms, called stations, get bigger and bigger as the land becomes more arid, until it's entirely desert.
All this and it's very sparsely populated - probably less than a million people live in this state.
A good friend is touring your area now - with lots of advice from the Stoat and Seattlefriend. He's having a ball and raves about it - and is already planning his next trip. Can't wait for the pics.

0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 01:18 pm
margo -

Doesn't the SW corner have a bit of national park forest of gums where, because soil erosion from visiting feet was such a problem, they built a "canopy walk" (i.e., a catwalk through the top of the trees), so that visitors can have minimal impact and get the unique experience of walking through a forest canopy?

Or am I thinking of something else?
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 03:39 pm
Exactly right, Patiodog.

The big forests (in a shrinking area) of the south west had some problem with erosion from vistors. Also, the trees were very tall, so all you saw was a lot of trunks (so you could make a trunk call!)
In some areas, they've installed "canopy-walks", so you can walk through the trees, off the ground. A different experience.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 03:56 pm
Margo... you can't help yourself... you ARE smart!

Thanks for the mini-tour of WA. Australia has always seemed like a great place to see, but I've never done so. It is a long LONG way from here.

Glad your friend is enjoying the WA. I'll be seeing SeattleFriend on Tuesday and will find out where she sent him.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 04:07 pm
THAT"S it! I'm driving over there soon! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 04:42 pm
You'd better, before the passes freeze up! My sister & BIL were just here... from E'burg. They said there was snow on the higher hills over Snoqualamie.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 07:48 pm

Margo: What a great tour guide you are! I have wanted to go to Australia for years and years, but haven't made it yet. Thanks for all the info. on the beautiful countryside and its beaches ... how lovely it must be!

Hugs!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 01:46 pm
Misti

Thanks for the compliment.

Get on over here. It's really cheap for Americans - you get almost $2AUS for $1US, and prices are roughly the same, dollar for dollar - so you can travel at almost half price.

It really is different here - and you Yanks (almost) speak English, so you should be able to make yourselves understood! And generally the natives are friendly.

At the beginning of this year, we did some virtual touring of Sydney and a few other places on Abuzz. That was a lot of fun!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 02:08 pm
Australia does sound fabulous. What a trip that would be! My Brit friend, newly a US citizen, is going next month... for a couple of months, I think. Hmmm, may not be back 'til March. She's doing some special cruise around Tasmania and has a lot of other things planned. She lived there for a couple of years and been back often enough that she kept a 4-wheel truck in storage for her trips.

Hard not to be envious! Trying very hard not to be.

She's the one who got me to be a guide on the HM Barque Endeavour. I still have my boater hat and striped shirt.
0 Replies