@ossobucotemp,
Quote:
I think it's supposed to get to 109
yeh, but, ((((wait for it)))))

its a dry heat.
ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 01:19 pm
@farmerman,
incrementally better than the high humidity and heat I remember from Chicago and New York, but still...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 09:43 pm
Upper 90s this week, and predicted to be a bit over 100. Not awful for this time of year, but the humidity has been running from 15% on up to 20%. Like breathing under water. Oh, and the evaporative cooler pads are loaded up with minerals. I'll probable have to get out Saturday and change them and flush it out in the full heat of day. Well, at least it's still in the low 70s overnight.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 09:47 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
the humidity has been running from 15% on up to 20%.

we think it's good when the humidity gets down to 55/60%
it'was in the 80 -90% range for a few days earlier this week

with temps in the 85 - 100 range

soupy

(and my hair is supah poofy)

roger

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 09:50 pm
@ehBeth,
I know that. Maybe that's why they express humidity as relative. Actually, I know better but it sounded like a neat thing to say.
farmerman

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2016 03:58 am
@roger,
well, weve finally gotten rain. Its been raining all night. Over n inch
margo

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2016 12:29 pm
When I was in Sri Lanka earlier this year, while the temps were around 80-90F, the humidity ran around 90%. Now that's soupy and bloody uncomfortable.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 08:23 pm
@margo,
I remember as a child in NY City for a year, seeing on tv that the temp was 100F and the humidity 100%. I've posted that before, as the memory sticks..

New Mexico's monsoon season is here now. Time for weeds to start their growth after a rest period, time for swamp coolers to not work quite so well, not that they are terrific in the first place.... although they are greener than regular air conditioners.

I've never lived with a real air conditioner, except at work, but now than I'm old and grey I could learn to like one. I remember as a kid in the Chicago area that we loved our mothers to take us shopping, as the stores (and movie theaters) had air conditioning.

Just had a thunderboomer...
farmerman

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 08:25 pm
@farmerman,
Its still goddam raining. It 's not stopping,w e have ametal roof and its so peaceful sounding
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 08:30 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I remembr when I lived in Stockton Calif. I took a rive to Lassen Peak in August. I had a flat tire on my leased car and hdda wait an hour for their road service from Sacto.

I wa;lkwd aroun the lva fields and it was bout 105. I was totlly dried up within a half hour and I didnt hqve any water with me (The garge guy said tht Californins are lways prepared (just like we are with chains and tools to dig our way out of snow).
He gave me bottlesd water and I sucked it dry in leass than a minute.
After he fixed my tires and I got going again, I stopped at a 7-11 in Halfmoon and got a case of water and a cooler.

Dry heat is like sitting in a kiln
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 09:35 pm
@farmerman,
I remember Alexis and I mapping a property in the San Fernando valley at 105, or maybe it was 104, degrees. Neither of us were athletic stalwarts, although back then I jogged but was still a wimp. After we wrapped it up we went to a French restaurant on Ventura Blvd. and regained calm.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 09:41 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Actually, I don't know that swamp coolers are greener than air conditioners, I simply supposed that they are.
roger

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 09:52 pm
@ossobucotemp,
They definitely use less electricity. Way back, BBB reported that you mayor of the moment was campaigning against because of their water use. I thought he was balmy, even though some have automated valves to drain water and prevent mineral build up.

In daytime when the humidity is up, they mostly circulate warm, humid air. Great in the evening with our normal temperature drop after sun down. In other words, they can be green as they want to be, but they are not very effective.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 10:03 pm
@farmerman,
In my youth, I lived in Sacramento, and during summer months, we were required to work out in the fruit orchards to earn money. I remember harvesting hops when the temperature was over 100 degrees most of the time.
We used to take breaks in the shade pretty often, and drank a lot of salt.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 10:17 pm
@roger,
I'm still learning about them. I went without one last year. Chihuahua! This year seems hotter, and Michael came over and got the old machina fixed and supplied a pump. I think you have met Michael and his wife. I like him a lot but I figure he is wary of me, somewhat. Some reticence; he helped me tripping on the bridge at Bob's memorial.

The wariness? When I first knew him, he was the helper for a contractor Bob/dys and BBB recommended. I was the woman from California.. enough about that guy.

Way back in meeting them I asked on the phone to his wife, his co-worker, if he would do a trade for some of my stuff, my having at the time a bunch of tools; she laughed.

In the years since, he has been kind to me, and at least once when he wouldn't take money, I gave him a super wrench that I was given to me by my bro in law, the building inspector. I figure Diane has made him less wary of me.

I suppose I should write a play about all this, or... shut up.

Anyway, rain stopped for now.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2018 05:04 pm
there's weather everywhere you look these days.

yesterday they had two months worth of rain in two hours in my hometown. People have been posting videos of people driving on sidewalks to get around the flooded roads.

this afternoon we had a crazy crazy gusher for about 10 minutes. I was in the house - wondered why I could hear the train here. Set arrived about 15 minutes later. He'd gone over to the legion to check in with the gang after going to the Serbian bakery. They can't hear rain inside that old bunker of a building so he stepped out to discover it had been bucketing rain while he was in having a drink of water.

the dehumidifier is earning its keep
ehBeth

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2018 05:05 pm
@ehBeth,
the humidity has dropped to 74% after the rain

I may stop glistening soon
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2018 12:00 pm
humidity went up to 89% overnight Twisted Evil

back down to 71% after a brief rain shower

81/feels like 99

special weather statement

Quote:
Heavy downpours expected over some areas.

Areas of showers and thunderstorms are expected to affect portions of the regions this afternoon and evening. Torrential downpours will be associated with these storms. Some storms will be very slow moving which could result in highly localized rainfall amounts in excess of 50 mm.

torrential downpours is never good news

flood risk again

good thing we're at the top of the escarpment - and that the street runs down toward the ravine a bit

ehBeth

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2018 07:56 pm
got bucketed on earlier
2 inches of rain in less than an hour

still not as bad as parts of Pennsylvania

a PA friend on FB posted this

https://scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/39087724_2316996124982397_836449734209044480_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=0a14ed1276a6cabaa586f8b1008ba1b3&oe=5BF72F3D

the dehumidifier is begging for a break
0 Replies