farmerman

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 07:56 am
@Lordyaswas,
those douche bags with the mini=gondola need to get a clue. That little white herry is a good floodworthy boat.

Sad really. You guys are going to have to start importing Dutch hydro-engineers .
Joe Nation

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 08:08 am
@Lordyaswas,
Yipes.

Joe(Shocking)Nation
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 08:53 am
@farmerman,
I was thinking that too, Farmerman.

This is all too stunning to make a sane comment - I'm so sorry this is going on.

Thank you for the photos, Lordy.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 09:53 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

those douche bags with the mini=gondola need to get a clue. That little white herry is a good floodworthy boat.

Sad really. You guys are going to have to start importing Dutch hydro-engineers .

We had Dick Van Dyke a few years ago, but he just wanted to clean chimneys.
Below viewing threshold (view)
Below viewing threshold (view)
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 07:48 pm
@Lordyaswas,
....in England.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 09:39 pm
@farmerman,
Farmer: I slipped on a badass ptch of ice leading from the barn

---------

I always knew that you were the klutzy type, Farmer. The ewes are gonna miss you.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 10:15 pm
@farmerman,
Hope your back is better today, farmerman. I did something similar in December and ended up with a couple fractured vertebrae and a dislocated pelvis. It has been a long and painful recovery, but I'm slowly getting there with lots of physical therapy and no surgery so far.

Hope yours is not nearly as bad and that you have enough extra hands around the farm to allow yourself time to heal.
farmerman

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 11:30 pm
@Butrflynet,
Today it was plowing the lanes several times. We are getting a total of over 20" and it still is snowing now. We had a small break in which it changed over to a freezing rain which once again knocked out power for a few tens of thousands around here. My on partner was without power for 6 days and they wound up staying at the Lancaster Hilton .
He just got his power back on Mon, and knocked out again today.
He borrowed one of our rigs and is using it as a gennie.

I am really with major cabin fever. I need to get on the road again . I feel like Im consolidating .

BTW--I tried a back plaster with a lineament and then this AM I tried this inversion dingus that Mrs F had hooked up in her gym in the barn. It really works. All her equipment that she bought at yard sales because people gave up on them. We got most of em at 10 cents on the dollar and she actually uses em. This inversion thing allows you to hang upside down and it really helped my back after the plaster was off.
Im almot as good as new. So I think with some sleep and a "quick rinse" on the gizmo tomorrow Im gonna be fine.
Thanks for your concern.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 11:40 pm
@farmerman,
Good on ya! Great news.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 11:53 pm
@farmerman,
Great to hear about the bat therapy working, fm.

I have a mate who hangs upside down from a tree in his garden now and then. The crows tell him off, but he says it's worth it.

Oh, and guess who usually gets your weather about a week later?

If we get blizzards after the deluge, don't expect a thank you card any time soon.

Weather quiet at the moment (6am), but two, possibly three storms due in next 24-48 hours.

Keep Calm and Carry a Towel.
farmerman

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 11:56 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Isnt it better to get your winter moisture in frozen chunks rather than mega gallons.
Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2014 12:05 am
@farmerman,
Yes, but it'll all come down on 5 million gallons of standing water.

We'll end up like one effing great Slush Puppy.

I think you call them snow cones over there.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2014 12:40 am
They need to load up all those idle aerial tankers they use for forest fires, load em up with snow and dump it into the dry lake beds in the mid west and west.

Better yet, turn the plans for the keystone pipeline horizontally and reroute all that excess water from the east to the west. Side effect is you won't have massive floods when the snow melts.
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2014 12:56 am
@farmerman,
I was in a back brace for 3 weeks, now physical therapist has me doing a slight inversion exercise on a machine similar to the total gym. It is very hard getting on and off the thing. I've lost a lot of my core strength and they are rebuilding it. They have to be careful with what they have me doing because some pelvic exercises cause back flares and vice versa. Right now, the most painful thing is anything with a slight bend. Full bends I can do, anything with a slight stoop kills me.
farmerman

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2014 05:30 am
@Butrflynet,
wow. There is a dirty secret in these inversion gizmos, saddling up!
My wife put hers next to one of the big vertical barn beams so one can use the beam and the pegs that support a built in ladder, and use this as a mounting brace. I think that a small kitchen ladder would also work nicely.

We were all ready for another bout of multi day power outage from "Winter STorm PAX" (I gotta get with the Weather Channel about these Eucharistic sounding storms that kill 25 people). Anyway, we had buckets and a large reinforced molasses tank filled with water for stock watering and buckets in the bath tub to use for flushing the toilet in the one bathroom. (in storms we consolidate all our functions to one dedicated comfort room). Anyway, we were spared those regional power outages . We lost power for only about 10 minutes and it was restored (probably remotely), after a bit of flickering.

Actually, in last weeks ice storm, the rural areas were actually faring better because we have mostly open fields where most of the wires are whereas in suburban areas there were trees after trees downed over wires and the breaks were multiple and complex requiring days of tree chopping by these Asplundh -like contractors

Nurserys will have lots of business this spring as hoeowners seek to replace their precious specimen trees.
I hope we enact ordinnces to forbid planting really brittle or weak core trees in and around ervice poles. (Trees like Bradford pears, hybrid poplars, Black and Virginia PINES,)
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2014 06:28 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

This should autoupdate.
http://icons-ak.wxug.com/data/640x480/2xus_rd.gif

Copying to current page

My daughter and her BF are driving into that blue/pink blob entering IL. Safe travels, kids!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2014 06:47 am
We're havin' a heat wave. It's minus four, and has been since early morning. Over the next five days, we are supposed to fluctuate between minus six and zero. That's a hell of a lot better than it has been, with minus 24 being the worst we saw. We have not been above zero in more than a month.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2014 08:24 am
Minus effing 24?

24? Blimey! That's lampost licking weather!

Us?

Oh, y'know......same ol' same ol'.....

http://wpmedia.news.nationalpost.com/2014/01/other.jpg?w=940&h=626

http://wpmedia.news.nationalpost.com/2014/01/britain_storm.jpg?w=940&h=607

0 Replies