Setanta

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 03:57 pm
Our two to four inches has turned into about eight inches so far, and the streets and highways of Toronto are slowly shutting down. It's all the plow trucks can to to keep the major thoroughfares clear--side streets like ours look like open fields of snow. Just came back in about a half an hour ago from shoveling--once again.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 07:16 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

I'll leave right now, and turn back if I must. It's tomorrow that is a concern. Once in town, I can't decide to just stay home.

Thanks

Let us know when you are safe and off the roads. They are going to be very icy after sunset.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 07:37 pm
@Butrflynet,
It was lightly snowing almost all day here, stopped for a while this afternoon.

Thanks for the clue about more show about to show up, Butrflynet.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 05:09 pm
@Butrflynet,
Safe at home. No highway problems at all. Good, we'll let someone else have the adventure.
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 05:12 pm
@roger,
Good to hear, was about to send out the hounds if you hadn't posted today.

I bet the snowy scenery was gorgeous.
roger

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 06:14 pm
@Butrflynet,
Nah. Just a light frosting on the sage brush.
farmerman

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 09:32 pm
@roger,
weve just gotten our power back from a damned freezing rain and sleet event. It rained onto places that were living in zero degrees a few days earlier and the ice on limbs and wires was really beautiful, BUT it caused an almost complete shutdown of the power grid between Upper mid New Jersey down to lower Marylnd. Trees that towered over power lines and weren't clipped back for several years, just busted under the weight . Evergreens just broke into piles of boughs and branches.
A goodly portion of these snapping branches just tore through power lines and start shutting down the power.
We had our generator being serviced and the guy just returned it and set it back in its little spot and we now, thanks to Major General Electric, were back on line. Now Im assuming that all this is getting through cause Im posting it through a clipboard.

I think, from hearing all about the newly imported power rigs and cherry pickers from the South and Midwest, we are supposed to be back on PPL Power (or Excelon-Im never sure who my wife picks to sell us volts-she has some thingy going, dickin with the volts sales people). Apparently we buy the volts from one company and the guys who deliver em (yes they have a voltswagen) are in another company. She tells me but I glaze over quickly.
SO anyway, we are back on line with our 12KW propane genie and we , and about 2 other non Amish farms, are the only guys with power.

The news said that in Lncaster nd Chester County there are about 500000 folks with no volts, and they say thatm with all the downed trees itll be Sunday before its rehooked up.
Im glad we missed the big ice storm of Upper NY and Canada of a few years back, in that one the ice, Ive been told, just crumpled the metal high tension towers.
That musta been a thick coating of ice. Ours was less than a half inch.
We had a battery operated radio for the two days without power and and all I could listen to was some douche bags going on about Obama this and Obama that,( I find most radio music either idotic (rap) , inane(Taylor Swift) or just impenetrable to someone of my age (Bullet Riddled corpses, Blink 125, Cover Fire) only one of those bands is even remotely real but all would be good names.

Im making some hot chocolate in the microwave--BECAUSE I CAN

roger

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 09:59 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Im making some hot chocolate in the microwave--BECAUSE I CAN

Well, invite some juiceless neighbors over to watch you drink it.
farmerman

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 10:15 pm
@roger,
naah, every body smells from having to feed the stock and work in the barns without later having a shower. Im washed up, immaculate and all chocolatey.

Now I gotta go back out to the fuckin barn and deliver lambs all night
JTT

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 07:44 pm
@farmerman,
Farmer: Now I gotta go back out to the fuckin barn and deliver lambs all night.

Don't you think it fair that the father at a minimum, attends?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 06:58 am
@farmerman,
More snow today and then another storm tomorrow. Im amazed that we have al our lambs surviving. At least we have our own power so water is not a problem in the lambing shed.
Mrs F hadda bring one lamb(One of a set of triplets) into the house to hand feed it . Its in a cage in the unheated porch area so its only away from wind but not in a warm house .
Staring to snow a bit now.
I better get the tractor fueled up and topped up on charge
JPB

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2014 03:46 pm
All sorts of terms being used by the NWS for the storm system headed into the SE, MA, and NE regions over the next three days. The bottom line is that it's going to be an ugly, dangerous mess out there. Up to 1" ice forecast for coastal NC.
Quote:
NWS Wilmington, NC:

AS OF 3 PM TUESDAY...A VERY HIGH IMPACT...PERHAPS EVEN LIFE-THREATENING...ICE STORM IS EXPECTED TO IMPACT THE PEE DEE REGION OF SOUTH CAROLINA AND ROBESON COUNTY NC WEDNESDAY. STORM TOTAL ICE ACCUMULATIONS COULD APPROACH ONE INCH...ESPECIALLY WEST OF INTERSTATE 95 WHERE SUBFREEZING SURFACE TEMPERATURES COULD LINGER THROUGH THE ENTIRE EVENT. IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO OVER-EMPHASIZE HOW DESTRUCTIVE THIS MUCH ICE WOULD BE TO ELECTRICAL INFRASTRUCTURE AND TREES.

NWS Raleigh, NC:

A MAJOR...IF NOT CRIPPLING ICE STORM...APPEARS LIKELY ESPECIALLY OVER PORTIONS OF THE SANDHILLS...THE SOUTHEAST PIEDMONT… AND WESTERN...IF NOT ALL THE COASTAL PLAIN. WE WILL TRY TO SEGMENT THE WINTER STORM WARNING INTO THREE OR FOUR GROUPS TO HONE IN ON THE EXPECTED P-TYPE TRANSITION TIMES AND AMOUNTS.

NWS Atlanta, GA:

LETS JUST START BY SAYING THIS WINTER STORM MAY BE OF HISTORIC PROPORTIONS FOR PORTIONS OF THE AREA. WE ARE LOOKING AT SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL TOTALS NORTH /ESPECIALLY NORTHEAST/ AND SIGNIFICANT… CRIPPLING...ICE TOTALS ESPECIALLY ALONG THE INTERSTATE 20 CORRIDOR. THE HIGHEST ICE TOTALS WILL BE IN A ROUGH WEDGE GENERALLY FROM THE METRO ATLANTA AREA AND POINTS EAST...SOUTH OF I-85...AND NORTH OF I-16.

This should autoupdate.
http://icons-ak.wxug.com/data/640x480/2xus_rd.gif
JPB

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2014 03:48 pm
https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1/p480x480/923083_633535836713216_1803592339_n.png
JTT

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2014 04:04 pm
@JPB,
Should have some dandy deep powder at higher elevations, JPB. Better wax up the ole boards. Doncha just love deep bottomless powder!
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2014 04:06 pm
@farmerman,
Farmer: Mrs F hadda bring one lamb(One of a set of triplets) into the house to hand feed it .

perfect chance to sneak back out to the barn
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2014 04:06 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:
https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1/p480x480/923083_633535836713216_1803592339_n.png

Great. Guess who lives right in the center of the blizzard / heavy snowfall zone?
Ragman

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2014 04:08 pm
@Thomas,
about 20% of US population?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2014 04:10 pm
@JPB,
Gonna be a lot of right sore asses throughout that ice storm zone. It ain't purty watchin' folks negotiate ice who only know it in their lemonade 'n bourbon.

Let's be careful out there, Southerners!
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2014 04:19 pm
@Thomas,
Head for Killington, Thomas-most vertical.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2014 09:35 am
Hurricanes (Force 12) in SW England today, and a month's rain forecast due to fall on flooded areas in the next 24 hours.

Yes, global warming affecting weather is a myth.