cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 10:15 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
We spent about two weeks on Oahu - primarily in the Waikiki area. The weather was between 78 to 82 during the day, and the lows probably in the mid 60's. It rained some, but for very short periods. I was drenched on my first day while walking, but it dried very quickly.

Now back in Silicon Valley, it's in the low 70's during the day, and in the mid-40's at night; feels like it's freezing after Hawaii.

hamburgboy

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2014 08:38 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Welcome to Ontariooooo !!! ... Shocked ...

Quote:
Kingston - Odessa - Frontenac Islands
9:12 PM EST Monday 27 January 2014
Snow squall watch for
Kingston - Odessa - Frontenac Islands issued

A strong snow squall out over Lake Ontario is shifting back and forth in a stiff westerly flow. It is threatening at times to come ashore briefly tonight in the Picton and Sandbanks area, and if it does, a quick 5 cm of snow along with frequent blowing snow are possible. Latest indications continue to show that winds steering the snow squall will become southwesterly beginning Tuesday morning. Once this happens, the snow squall will start blasting the Odessa to Kingston area in the morning and may also start affecting locales from Napanee through Belleville to Cobourg by noon as well, bringing bursts of heavy snow and blowing snow with it.

Quickly changing travel conditions, including very low to at times nil visibilities in heavy snow and blowing snow along with rapidly accumulating snowfall, are the main issues that will be dealt with as the snow squalls move in.

Local snowfall rates of about 10 centimetres per 12 hours are possible with the more intense snow squalls.

Snow squalls will likely affect highways 401 and 2, as well as other roads across the regions,

resulting in sudden zero visibility in white outs and dangerous winter driving conditions.

Motorists should consider adjusting travel plans including avoiding these regions altogether.

The snow squalls may persist into Wednesday.

A bitterly cold Arctic air mass has once again invaded Southern Ontario. It will persist at least through the middle of the work week.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2014 02:16 pm
http://static.tapastic.com/cartoons/d6/a4/65/05/4fd9cd8d2f3d4462a6e5a792b658c713.jpg
http://tapastic.com/episode/28527
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2014 09:12 pm
It's currently 47 degrees outside and a cold rain. We have the heat up and the fireplace lit so we don't freeze to death during the night Mad
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2014 11:05 pm
Our record setting dry winter is finally broken in ABQ. We've got about half an inch of snow so far and it is still snowing.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2014 11:14 pm
@Butrflynet,
I see some flakes dropping into water, my usual back door pool.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2014 11:16 pm
@Butrflynet,
I see some flakes dropping into water, my usual back door pool. No accumulation. Butryflynet and I are, I'm not sure, as the crow flies, a mile away.

Just looked at the front yard. There's a lilt of snow.
farmerman

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 05:49 am
@ossobuco,
we had 6 inches more of a wet snow that fell when the temps were about 32. The cold came by and quickly "Set" the snow into hard ice . Now its very dangerous on the roads and the gravel trucks are doing multi passes.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 07:35 am
Between four and six inches of wet snow over night.

Joe(and more tomorrow)Nation
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 08:45 am
We're supposed to get a couple of inches overnight, and a couple of more tomorrow. Meh . . . snow we got, snow we've had for quite some time. As long as we don't get any more ice storms, we'll do fine.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 02:45 pm
Charlottesville will likely get a little ice overnight before temps head towards 60 Wednesday. This morning I met a convoy of a dozen utility trucks heading north. Getting into position, I guess.
farmerman

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 04:34 pm
@realjohnboy,
They are predicting a wet snow followed by an ice strom and were in the middle of the "pink zone' The Lncaster stations have been saying that we can expect downed wires and trees. Good thing I spent the last three years removing trees close to the house or barns.
Were set to turn on the gennie
jcboy

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 05:39 am
@farmerman,
It's warmed up here in the Tampa Bay area. A high of 77 today, I guess I can leave my coat at home.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 06:00 am
A spoonerism.

Snucking fow.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 09:15 am
Surprise, surprise . . . more snow. This winter feels more tedious than previous winters.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 12:53 pm
For folks in Albuquerque, weather service just put out a storm warning for us on the west mesa. We're to get 2 inches of snow over the next 24 hours and Rio Rancho is to get 3 to 5 inches of snow.

It has already started lightly snowing here.

The plants and trees are loving it, leaf buds are popping out everywhere.
roger

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 01:02 pm
@Butrflynet,
Oh no! I'm visiting my sister today. I hope I can make it over the NW Plateau tomorrow. It's usually way worse than Albuquerque on 550

ETA: Those trees are so easily fooled into thinking it's spring. Makes it really hard to get anything out of the orchards.
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 01:06 pm
@roger,
Roger, you might want to either head out now or postpone a day. They're saying most of the area here is going to get a lot of snow. The snow won't be that bad, it is all the idiots driving on the roads like there is no snow that you'll have to watch for.

Here's the map and text for the storm warning

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1/1508073_244623615718309_1843474545_n.png
Message: NOAA-NWS-ALERTS-NM125141C68BCC.WinterStormWarning.125141D55170NM.ABQWSWABQ.fc821d4545c417b9aac10248d518a756 from [email protected]
Sent: 11:19 MST on 02-05-2014
Effective: 11:19 MST on 02-05-2014
Expires: 08:00 MST on 02-06-2014
Event: Winter Storm Warning
Alert:
...NEXT ROUND OF WINTER WEATHER MOVING INTO PORTIONS OF NORTHERN
AND CENTRAL NEW MEXICO TODAY AND TONIGHT...

.ANOTHER DISTURBANCE ALOFT WILL INTERACT WITH A BITTER COLD AND MOIST
ATMOSPHERE TO BRING SNOW TO PORTIONS OF NEW MEXICO THROUGH TONIGHT.
BITTER COLD AIR AT THE SURFACE WILL BE IN PLACE OVER THE EASTERN
HALF OF NEW MEXICO...WHICH WILL ENHANCE SNOWFALL ALONG THE EASTERN
SLOPES OF THE SANGRE DE CRISTO...SANDIA...AND MANZANO MOUNTAINS. A
SECONDARY SNOWFALL MAXIMUM IS ALSO EXPECTED TO DEVELOP ALONG THE
CONTINENTAL DIVIDE...MOUNT TAYLOR...SANDIA AND MANZANO MOUNTAINS...

THE EAST SLOPES OF THE JEMEZ MOUNTAINS...AS WELL AS THE AREA FROM
RIO RANCHO SOUTH ALONG THE ALBUQUERQUE WEST MESA. SNOW WILL TAPER
OFF THURSDAY MORNING. THE COMBINATION OF BITTER COLD AIR AND SNOW
IS EXPECTED TO CREATE TREACHEROUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS...ESPECIALLY
OVER EASTERN NEW MEXICO.

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 AM MST THURSDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN ALBUQUERQUE HAS ISSUED A WINTER
STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 AM MST
THURSDAY. THE WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...3 TO 5 INCHES FROM ZIA PUEBLO SOUTH TO RIO
RANCHO...THE ALBUQUERQUE WEST MESA AND FAR NORTHEAST HEIGHTS.
LOCATIONS ALONG THE VALLEY FLOOR AND IMMEDIATELY BELOW TIJERAS
CANYON MAY SEE SIGNIFICANTLY LESS ACCUMULATIONS OF 1 OR 2
INCHES. EAST FACING SLOPES OF THE CONTINENTAL DIVIDE...THE
SANDIA/MANZANO...AND JEMEZ MOUNTAINS WILL SEE 6 TO 10 INCHES.

* TIMING...SNOW WILL CONTINUE TO EXPAND THIS AFTERNOON AND
CONTINUE THROUGH THURSDAY MORNING. THE MOST INTENSE PERIOD OF
SNOW IS EXPECTED BETWEEN 7 PM AND 2 AM TONIGHT.

* WINDS...WINDS WILL BE LIGHT IN MOST AREAS...EXCEPT FOR A 15 TO
25 MPH EAST WIND BELOW CANYONS OPENING INTO THE RIO GRANDE
VALLEY. THE EAST CANYON WIND MAY BRIEFLY PEAK WITH GUSTS
AROUND 35 MPH TONIGHT WHICH COULD LEAD TO LOCALIZED AREAS OF
BLOWING SNOW.

* SNOW LEVELS...TEMPERATURES WILL BE COLD ENOUGH FOR SNOW AT ALL
LOCATIONS.

* LOCAL IMPACTS...SNOW PACKED AND ICY TRAVEL CONDITIONS ARE LIKELY
TO DEVELOP OVER THE AREA INCLUDING INTERSTATE 40 BETWEEN
GRANTS... ALBUQUERQUE...AND TIJERAS CANYON...INTERSTATE 25...AND
HIGHWAY 550. VERY COLD TEMPERATURES OVER THE AREA MAY CREATE
TREACHEROUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS IN THE HIGH TERRAIN.

Instructions: A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW ARE FORECAST THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS. ONLY TRAVEL IN AN EMERGENCY. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL...KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT...FOOD... AND WATER IN YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY.
Target Area:
Jemez Mountains
Middle Rio Grande Valley, Albuquerque Metro Area
Sandia, Manzano Mountains
Southwest Mountains
West Central Highlands
roger

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 01:22 pm
@Butrflynet,
I'll leave right now, and turn back if I must. It's tomorrow that is a concern. Once in town, I can't decide to just stay home.

Thanks
Joe Nation

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 01:34 pm
The latest storm just blew through the City starting last night about mid-night. Very wet snow, & freezing rain made every surface slicker than deer guts on a doorknob.

I went out to make calls this morning thinking this will show them that I am tougher than they thought, but I think it ended up making them think "This guy doesn't have sense enough to stay out the weather.

Joe(sheesh)Nation
0 Replies