Butrflynet

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2014 07:36 pm
@ehBeth,
Anyone tried making snow with hot water yet?

ehBeth

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2014 07:39 pm
@Butrflynet,
ha! we did that back in university

it's fun!
jcboy

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2014 05:07 pm
@ehBeth,
When I left for work this morning it was only 38 degrees, it warmed up to about 48 today and by Friday they say it could go back up to 80. Shocked
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2014 05:16 pm
mark
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2014 05:23 pm
@jcboy,
We've been told to expect a similar jump in temps from now til the weekend - not as high of course - but still wacky changes.

Global warming, we thank you.

NOT !!!!
jcboy

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2014 06:52 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

We've been told to expect a similar jump in temps from now til the weekend - not as high of course - but still wacky changes.

Global warming, we thank you.

NOT !!!!

Since I moved to Florida we’ve always had wacky changes in weather this time of the year, you have to bundle up for the cold and a day later your wearing shorts again.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2014 01:25 pm
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
Two kids burned trying boiling-water experiment in freezing weather
Posted on Thu, Jan. 09, 2014

Two children are recovering from burns after a cold weather experiment at home went wrong.

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that the children threw a pot of boiling water into the freezing air on Tuesday as an experiment to see if it turned into ice or snow before hitting the ground. St. Louis Children’s Hospital spokeswoman Abby Wuellner said the kids suffered facial burns.

Both were discharged after treatment.

The experiment apparently went viral after a TV meteorologist from Wisconsin did it, prompting copycats. Public health officials are cautioning people against trying the experiment themselves.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 05:21 pm
Squall Line, Cold Front over the Gulf is moving on shore. Thinking the sea fog & cool shelf waters will keep the winds from getting too strong, but it has plenty of lightning in it and it's heading our way!
jcboy

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2014 04:17 am
@jcboy,
I have successfully dragged myself away from my Game of Thrones marathon. I'm heading to the gym now on this cold morning. Winter is here.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2014 09:31 pm
@jcboy,
Been in Honolulu since the 9th. It's 79 to 81 degrees with an occasional shower or two.
jcboy

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2014 08:30 pm
@cicerone imposter,
The weather report says we will get down to 34 degrees by Thursday, we won't be able to go outside!
ehBeth

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2014 08:36 pm
@jcboy,
My nose is cold Evil or Very Mad
hamburgboy

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2014 09:29 pm
@ehBeth,
forecast for tonight :

minus 24 F / minus 31 C ... Shocked ... Drunk ( hope the antifreeze holds up !!! )
roger

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2014 10:14 pm
@hamburgboy,
Eh? Why, Canada is home to some of the finest blended "antifreezes" in the world.
hamburgboy

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2014 06:50 am
@roger,
roger wrote :

Quote:
Canada is home to some of the finest blended "antifreezes" in the world.

and here is one of them ( 100/50 ) ... Drunk ...

http://img.21food.com/img/product/2011/8/19/oceantree-12160160.jpg
roger

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2014 02:23 pm
@hamburgboy,
Thanks! I'll keep an eye out for it.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 12:16 am
It is very cold and windy in Albuquerque, tonight at 11pm it is 21 degrees with a wind chill of 5 degrees. The air is so dry, it feels like you're in a cloud of dry ice. How do I know this? Had to take the trash cans to the curb and my hands froze in place as they gripped the handles while I tried not to get blown over in the wind.

Damn it is coooold!!!! Brrrrrr! I rarely get cold and usually run around without a coat. Not tonight!!
roger

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 12:22 am
@Butrflynet,
That's surprising. We're usually about 5 degrees warmer up here, but we're at 24 and no wind. Maybe I should be getting ready for something.
Ragman

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 12:36 am
@roger,
it's 46 deg f here now and will drop to 43 deg f before sunrise. ...then it's forecast to reach 58-60 deg for a high again. On sunday this'll all pass and we'll be back to 66-70 F and 50-55 F at night - sliding through our brief winter.
So far we've not had a lasting or killing frost, if there was any (none in Sarasota). Typically, it tends to hit 25-60 miles miles north of Tampa Bay and a bit inland. There was a brief frost but nothing that killed any landscape or crops just YET.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 07:54 pm
This is what passes for "severe weather conditions" hereabouts these days. I will say,though, that winds night before last were damn' close to gale force. A Japanese tourist playing golf on Oahu (Honolulu County) was killed when struck by a falling branch. Here onthe Big Island of Hawaii, several housing tracts lost electrical power and were still in the dark this a.m. due to downed power lines.

You think it's all fun and games living out here?