cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2011 05:58 pm
@hamburgboy,
December 2010: South India was hot and humid.
January 2011: Home in California is cold compared to South India
January 2011: Florida and the Southern Caribbean was a little bit hot, with a little bit of rain, but Key West was perfect!
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2011 06:25 pm
High temp here in Sarasota, FL was 78 deg F earlier in the afternoon, but the clouds thickened up and winds started swirling with the impending T-storm. Luckily, we 'only' had lightning and thunder and heavy rain. Up north of Tampa Bay they had some medium-sized hail and tornado warnings. And úp further north in Atlanta they're talking about possibly some snow.
hamburgboy

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2011 06:48 pm
@Ragman,
eastern lake ontario
-------------------------
last night still minus 20 c
went rather quickly to about minus 7 c todaystreets are pretty slushy and driving is no treat
ehBeth

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2011 06:56 pm
@hamburgboy,
temps are just around freezing here

good thing while we wait for furnace repair tomorrow morning
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2011 12:06 pm
Sleeting hard in central Virginia. 33 degrees. Expected to turn to snow in about 3 hours (4 pm). 4-6"
Rockhead

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2011 12:10 pm
@realjohnboy,
this is one of the few weeks a year that it is not so bad to be in Kansas.

on our way to 60's by the end of the week...

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2011 12:50 am
@Rockhead,
I think we're having 70 degrees tomorrow in Silicon Valley; that's what I love about this area.
farmerman

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2011 06:55 am
@cicerone imposter,
we got dumped on with about 16 inches of snow. Its a heavy, wet dense snow that will lead to much runoff when it melts . We will have a few days above freezing and then another deep freeze next week.

T-53 and counting
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2011 07:11 pm
My employee Andy observed a cute scene as he came through the UVA hospital area early this morning when there was still some ice topped with an inch of snow. Two brawny construction workers at the Emily Couric Cancer center on either side of an elderly woman, lifting her up and carrying her across the street. Her legs kept moving despite being airborne.
hamburgboy

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 08:40 pm
@realjohnboy,
around noon it was about 10 c - balmy - cardinals chirping ... ...
right now still 5 c - but a mighty storm brewing up - winds to 100 km/h ... ...
sounds like a freight-train coming along the stret ... ...
saturday morning about minus 10 c - so the short springbreak is over for now .

well , spring is to arrive in 5 weeks Cool
hbg
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2011 10:38 am
Another major snow event in the upper midwest today/tomorrow and New England tomorrow/Tuesday. I saw a weather report last week that said forecasters are predicting heavy flooding again this year along the Red River Valley of North and South Dakota and throughout Minnesota and Iowa. 10-18" forecast for that area today/tomorrow.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2011 10:55 am
Noticeable smoke in the air this morning. High winds and little precipitation have combined to cause numerous brush and forest fires. Most are due to trees falling over power lines but human stupidity plays a part, despite warnings about any kind of outside burning, including grills.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2011 10:58 am
It is extremely dry and windy here, but no fires currently. Our temps are springlike. I expect a cold front or two before it is over, but nothing to get excited over. Potential continued drought worries me the most.
realjohnboy

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2011 04:43 pm
@edgarblythe,
Power just came back on after a 5 hour outage due to 50 mph winds toppling trees over power lines.
Stop lights at a major intersection a block away went down. People were amazingly cordial towards each other; carefully taking turns in keeping traffic moving.
JPB

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2011 04:47 pm
@realjohnboy,
Glad to have you back, rjb.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 02:57 pm
Life ain't fair.
It was 80 degrees a week ago. The redbuds, Bradford Pears and daffodils are in bloom.
Sleet, freezing rain and snow in the forecast tonight and tomorrow.
The worst case scenario is 5 inches on my side of the Blue Ridge.
Sigh.
Or it could all be rain. A scheme dreamed up by the marketing people at Kroger to send shoppers into frantic buying.
dyslexia

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 03:04 pm
@realjohnboy,
filled my pond today and got the pump running the fountain, will plant some flowers when the wind stops; tomatoes go in in about 1 month.
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 01:58 pm
@dyslexia,
82 degrees today in Charlottesville! Short-lived, perhaps, but everything looks so green. It makes me want to try to jum up and click my heels but I probably shouldn't try that.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 02:00 pm
@realjohnboy,
snow last night here in Toronto
then a lightning/thunderstorm
then some plain old rain which is expected to continue for a while
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 02:01 pm
@realjohnboy,
we were at 83 yesterday.

tonight, I gotta schlep all the houseplants back indoors.

gonna be 29...

enjoy it while you can.
0 Replies