ossobuco

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 03:46 pm
So today I was enjoying looking back through the illustrator, artist, wit, Christoph Niemann's past drawing/painting-with-commentary entries on his new york times blog (called Abstract City, in the opinion section), and found this one on weather:

http://niemann.blogs.nytimes.com/tag/weather/

I think I won't just copy one part of it, as it all makes sense as a whole.

His work may be a whaddayacallit, acquired taste, but me, I'm a big fan.

If you end up liking his work, there are more links to his other subject matter to the right side of the page. I had a thread once about his Coffee drawings, and added a link to his "Unpopular Science - Whether we like it or not, human life is subject to the universal laws of physics " entry earlier today on Boomerang's Oddball thread.
0 Replies

hamburgboy

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 07:47 pm
a weather bomb
--------------------
sitting at the computer minding my own business ...
i thought a freight-train was rumbling through ...

nooo ... it's a weather bomb !

Quote:
October 27, 2010 — A weather bomb is still bringing wild weather to parts of Ontario with gusty winds being the biggest story. Find out what's left of this powerful storm.

probably will have to look for the garbage pail in neighbour's backyard tomorrow .
hbg
realjohnboy

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 07:58 pm
@hamburgboy,
I have been playing on-line scrabble this evening with folks from all around the U.S. In the chats, many are reporting severe weather in one form or another.
But they still beat me in the scrabble game.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 08:07 pm
@realjohnboy,
Is there some way I could get you to look at the Niemann post, Rjb? 3 posts back?

Like, please?
realjohnboy

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 08:53 pm
@ossobuco,
I skimmed through it briefly before bedtime, Osso. I will take a closer look tomorrow.
Don't get your hopes up for a rave review.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 12:13 am
@realjohnboy,
Ok, ok. Now you have to read the rest of his blog entries, starting with the physice one.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2010 05:58 pm
It is a cold, wet night. It has been raining all day, hard at times.
Suburban streets are covered with a layer of fallen leaves which can be as slippery to drive on as ice.
The state police is reporting accidents on the interstates in my area due to rain and fog and foolish driver behavior. Multiple accidents with more than 100 vehicles involved. Several fatalities.
If I had to cross the mountain on a night like this one, I would get me behind a tractor trailer by about 100 yards and let him/her, a professional driver, do the navigating.
farmerman

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2010 06:13 pm
@realjohnboy,
Add fog to that and youve got what weve got here in the Dutch country. Its a sloggy cold windy foggy rain that is dropping about 0.25" per hour. It soaks but keeps everything slippery.
Weve had one fatality today and a bunch of fender benders.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2010 06:20 pm
@farmerman,
bucketing rain here
special weather advisory and all
we had a big fog event last Friday
farmerman

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2010 06:23 pm
@ehBeth,
QWe could fedex soma this **** to the Ozomanians
ehBeth

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2010 06:32 pm
@farmerman,
I'll ship what we're getting back down to you - you can probably get a discount by having a larger package to Fedex
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 05:00 pm
This is headed eastward, so bundle up!

18 inches of snow in California's Sierra gold country last night.

http://images.scribblelive.com/2010/11/23/553192ee-338f-4392-8420-fe9663b30d35_400.jpg

And this afternoon, a funnel cloud blew part of the roof off of a warehouse building and downed trees in Placerville.

http://livewire.kcra.com/Event/Get_The_Latest_Info_On_Northern_California_Weather
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 05:02 pm
I checked the weather in Salmon, Idaho (where the Cowdoc's live). Not good.
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 05:10 pm
@realjohnboy,
I guess not! Lows of -13 below and highs of only 14 above for the next two days there. Brrr!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 05:12 pm
http://www.weather.com/newscenter/nationalforecast/index.html

A messy midweek Midwest storm develops
M. Ressler, Lead Meteorologist, The Weather Channel
Nov. 23, 2010 5:55 pm ET
Midwest | View Regional Video

A messy storm will dominate the Midwest during the last mad dash of pre-holiday travel. Low pressure and a cold front will head toward the Mississippi Valley while a warm front pushes northward into the Ohio Valley.

Snow will set up from the Dakotas to northern Minnesota and by late day western Upper Michigan. The heaviest snow will accumulate in northern North Dakota and northwest Minnesota with up to 10 inches possible. To blow and drift the snow, strong north-to-northwest winds in the Plains will gust over 40 mph at times.

With milder air initially streaming in aloft over the cold air across eastern Nebraska, Iowa, southern Minnesota and much of Wisconsin, a mixture of freezing rain, sleet and snow will make a dangerous glaze for travel.

Farther south and east, rain and thunderstorms will develop from eastern Kansas into the southern Great Lakes and Ohio Valley. Some rainfall could top 1 inch. Severe thunderstorms will target eastern Kansas, Missouri and west-central Illinois with damaging wind gusts, a few tornadoes and hail.

Temperatures will vary from between 5 and 30 degrees below average in the Dakotas and Nebraska to near average in the Great Lakes and Ohio Valley and between 5 and 15 degrees above average in Kansas and Missouri. Highs will range from the single digits in the western Dakotas to the 30s and low 40s in the Great Lakes and the 60s and low 70s in southern Kansas and southwest Missouri.

As snow and wind linger in the Upper Midwest Thanksgiving, heavy rain will focus on the Ohio Valley as the cold front slowly moves through. Rainfall will be in the 1-to-3-inch range.

By Friday, the Midwest is dry except with Great Lakes and Ohio snow showers and rain mixed with snow ending in eastern Kentucky.

The weekend looks dry with the temporarily cold temperatures quickly returning to near average.
South | View Regional Video

Cooler high pressure drops southward into the Carolinas and north Georgia Wednesday with clouds and a few sprinkles in the vicinity of the stalled front.

Far to the west, the next cold front lurks over Oklahoma and northwest Texas. Ahead of the southern Plains cold front, thunderstorms will develop in the warm humid air across eastern Oklahoma, northeast Texas and northern and western Arkansas. Some of these thunderstorms will become severe with damaging wind gusts, a few tornadoes and hail. Rainfall could locally top 1 inch.

Temperatures for most of the region will still be quite warm, varying from near average to as much as 25 degrees above average. Except for some highs in the 50s in North Carolina and some 60s across the Texas Panhandle, northwest Oklahoma, the Ozarks, central and eastern Tennessee, the remainder of the Carolinas and north Georgia, highs will peak in the 70s and 80s.

Come Thanksgiving, a corridor of heavy rain and thunderstorms will set up across the Tennessee Valley, lower Mississippi Valley and east Texas. A few severe thunderstorms are possible. Rainfall could locally top 3 inches.

The rain will shift into the Southeast Friday, ending from west to east later in the day.

The weekend will be dry and the temporarily colder temperatures will quickly return to average or above-average levels.
Northeast | View Regional Video

A storm will rapidly intensify over the Canadian Maritimes while high pressure builds in from the Great Lakes and Ohio Valley on Wednesday.

Strong northwest winds will develop over eastern New York, north Jersey and New England. Gusts will peak in the 35-to-50-mph range. The eastern Mid-Atlantic will be breezy.

Except for any air travel delays from the wind, getting around should be fine. Wednesday will be dry with only a few snow showers over northern New York and the mountains of northern New England.

Temperatures cool but only to near-average or slightly-below-average levels. Highs will range from the upper 20s and lower 30s along the Canadian border to near 60 in southwest Virginia.

Rain arrives for Thanksgiving across much of New York, the northern Mid-Atlantic and West Virginia. A few colder valleys in northern Pennsylvania and Upstate New York may deal with a brief period of freezing rain.

On Friday, the next cold front moves through with rain changing to snow from the Appalachians westward and rain east of the mountains. The precipitation will end from west to east, especially across the Mid-Atlantic.

By Saturday, the only remaining precipitation will be confined to lake-effect snow showers in Upstate New York and northwest Pennsylvania and snow showers across northern New England. Temperatures, though colder, will only be slightly below average.
West | View Regional Video

As the last major chunk of the prolonged Western storm ejects into the Plains Wednesday, the Great Basin and Far West will finally be dry while the snow will diminish and then gradually end across the Rockies and northern high Plains. Gusty winds over parts of the high Plains could locally gust over 40 mph in places like southeast Wyoming.

Meanwhile, a very weak disturbance could bring a few flurries and sprinkles to coastal Oregon.

Temperatures will be very cold for most, varying from 10 to over 40 degrees below average. Only across eastern New Mexico will temperatures stubbornly but pleasantly remain above average.

Unfortunately for home gardeners and agricultural interests, a heard freeze is likely each morning through Friday across the lowest elevations of California north of Los Angeles and across coastal southwest Oregon. Lows will range from the lower 20s in coastal southwest Oregon to the low 30s in the southern San Joaquin Valley and the counties just above Los Angeles.

Across the interior West, lows midweek will be near or well below zero from the Cascades, Sierra and Great Basin to Montana and much of Wyoming.

Highs midweek will range from near zero in Montana to the teens in the Great Basin, 30s in western sections of Washington and Oregon, 40s and near 50 in the Central Valley of California, 60s southern Arizona and 70s southeast New Mexico.

The West will be dry and cold for Thanksgiving.

The Pacific Northwest will again turn wet Friday and into the weekend with temperatures rebounding to only slightly-below-average levels.
hamburgboy

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 11:17 am
@Butrflynet,
eastern lake ontario
-------------------------
severe cold warning

right now minus 21 c - going to minus 26 c overnight - but milder by tuesday

http://www.cmhg.gc.ca/cmh/book_images/high/v2_c2_s05_ss02_01.jpg

no snowboots ???
BillW

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 05:37 pm
@hamburgboy,
not okay for golfing - therefore, bad!
ehBeth

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 06:02 pm
@BillW,
oooh yesterday was blinkin' cold

-28 c windchill

then the temps started to go up

only about -10 c right now

which would be fine

but

it's snowing not snowing snowing not snowing snowing not snowing

I think I'll stay home tonight.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 06:05 pm
I just played a scrabble game with a lady from AZ. 70 degrees on their deck and she is drinking a gin and tonic while she beat me in the game.
hamburgboy

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2011 04:44 pm
@realjohnboy,
eastern lake ontario
---------------------------

yesterday still minus 20 c - this morning minus 5 c - big sloppy mess Shocked

later this week more snow .

btw eastern end of lake ontario is frozen over slightly - no one skating on the lake yet .