hamburgboy

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2010 03:55 pm
@realjohnboy,
THE SKUNKS ARE OUT !

they must think that it's spring already ... nice sunshine and just below freezing ... go away skunks !
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 07:24 am
I woke up at 5 am. An hour ahead of normal. The snow was just starting.
"Hmm," thought I, "I can make a run to Kroger."
I went yesterday but the lines were way too deep.
Sure enough, the store was mostly empty of customers at 6 am.
But also mostly empty of stuff to buy. Picked clean.
I got milk, chicken, cheese, bananas, bacon, tomatoes.

We are still projected to get about 20 inches of snow.

0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 07:25 am
Stocked up on vanilla extract?
realjohnboy

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 07:29 am
@George,
Damn! I knew I should have made a shopping list.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 09:38 am
@realjohnboy,
apple juice and chocolate?
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 11:10 am
Today is National Weatherman Day.

Mr. Joe, who announced the temperature for me four times yeterday (and who speculated on today's temperatures)intends to take his new thermometer to the cottage today (he took it back and forth last weekend, too), deserves a card and by god he shall have one. The other thermometers are "inferior weather monitoring devices," and thus we shall take the very sensible precaution of taking our new, accurate thermometer, which is the cat's ass and 8 bucks at Canadian Tire.

One point zero celsius, as we speak. Sun's trying to burn through.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 11:53 am
@realjohnboy,
relax, maybe your snowstorms arent frequent but you learn to adapt whatevers in the pantry to make up good meals. Hint: every time we have a big storm, my wife will bake a cake so no matter what we have in the house, itll all come together witha nice cake at the end.
realjohnboy

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 12:11 pm
@farmerman,
True enough, farmerman. I have a 1953 printing of the classic cookbook: "The Joy of Cooking" from 1931.
I find that I have much of what I need -plus some other stuff- to make a big pot of potato soup. I have never made potato soup before.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 07:38 pm
Yippee! The electricity just came back on!
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 07:58 pm
Albemarle County spokeswoman Lee Catlin (I am a big fan of her) says:
"Due to the predicted amount of sleet and snow, anyone thinking about driving tonight should carry, in addition to blankets and food, a chain-saw to clear fallen limbs and trees."
She wasn't joking.
dyslexia

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 08:10 pm
@realjohnboy,
electricity is nice. I hate trying to type on my laptop in the dark.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 08:33 pm
I thought briefly, dys, about going to a hotel.
So far, the accumulation is only 8" but a bunch of the stuff on top is sleet. They are still predicting 20-24" by Sunday morning.
I decided to stay here and it is now too late to change that choice even though I have a chain saw.
No electricity - even for a few hours - is a bitch. The house gets cold and dark, and I find myself walking into a room, flipping a light switch and wondering, ever so briefly until the light bulb in my head turns on, why the light doesn't come on.
So. My phone keeps working. If I disappear tomorrow, please give me a call.
PM me & I can give you the number.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 08:51 pm
@realjohnboy,
I still remember 18-24 or so inches in our side yard in Evanston, Chicago adjacent, with larger drifts. .. as routine. Actually, I remember much higher, more like 30.. more..
So, I seem to perceive a new understanding of winter- people freaking now after not so much as normal...

sozobe

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 08:57 pm
@ossobuco,
Yeah, MN + WI + IL means that here in OH I'm nonplussed when people commence freaking at omg 6 inches of snow. Like whatever man.

Although, it's true that there's a certain internal logic to the freaking -- people freak, and then drive badly, and then there are a bazillion accidents, which is genuinely freaky. I just try to stock up on groceries at a local store and then hole up (with excursions for shoveling and sledding) til it's over.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 09:04 pm
@realjohnboy,
And there is more. Andy, whom some of yall know from the A2K sports threads as Clubber, called to report that he and his lady have taken up residence in my store adjacent to the UVA medical complex. Katie is classified as "essential staff" and must report to work as scheduled.
So they are camped there with sleeping bags and, he added, a few other folks have joined them.
If you don't know Andy, visit Bellamorte.com
He is the singer.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 09:14 pm
@realjohnboy,
Glad to see you posting. I do worry about friends in weather like you're having.

I blame your current weather on my former belly dance instructor who moved to Raleigh-Durham to escape the snow up here (and follow her hubby to his job there). We've barely had a speck of snow since she left - apparently she dragged it all down with her. Blame Hannan.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 11:11 pm
12 o'clock & 12 inches of snow. 12 plus perhaps another 12 hours to go.
I hear that DC/Balt/Philly are also getting socked.
Yall up there need to take care.
farmerman

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 06:27 am
@realjohnboy,
In the process of being a sockee. We wont get out of here till Tuesday iof it keeps up like this. Weve got about a foot and its only mid storm. Looked out the window and cant see more than a hundred feet before its all closed up in swirling white .

Keep fireplace roaring, Have plenty wood and gas. Worry about electricity , we have a really old crappy delivery system, every storm finds some new weak spot and interrupts service for days.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 07:12 am
@farmerman,
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN0614831920100206

Up to 21 inches (53 cm) of snow had fallen by 6 a.m. EST (1100 GMT) in suburban Washington, D.C. Local weather forecasters said the storm could bring the heaviest snowfall in 90 years to the Washington area.

Strong winds caused blizzard conditions, especially along the mid-Atlantic coast, with gusts up to 40 miles per hour (64 kph).

Most flights were canceled on Saturday at the Washington-Baltimore area's three main airports and at Philadelphia International Airport.

Driving in the region was treacherous and authorities advised motorists to stay off the roads.

Washington's Metro train service will operate only underground on Saturday and bus service has been canceled.

Amtrak canceled a number of trains operating on Saturday between New York and Washington and also between Washington and some destinations to the south.

More than 120,000 homes lost power in the Washington area as the wet and heavy snow weighed down trees and power lines.

http://www.laconicsoftware.com/fire-heart-desktop-gadget/screenshots/fire-heart-main-view-preview-4.png

stay warm all
Joe Nation

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 07:46 am
0 Replies