farmerman

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 05:08 pm
@margo,
We seemed to have gotten all our snow in mid December and then, just after Christmas, it warmed up considerably until this past week when we had one day at about 58 F. Then the floor fell out and were now in the low teens for lows and in the 20's for daytime highs. The friggin jet stream cant make up its mind.
roger

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 05:50 pm
@farmerman,
Oddly, we are also having lows in the low, or at least mid-teens. Daytime highs are crowding 40f, even with cloudcover. We seem to have a lot of variation between day and night.
Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 05:55 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

We seem to have a lot of variation between day and night.

Yup. That's the desert all right.
realjohnboy

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 06:01 pm
Story time:
"Someone" I know is 11 years old and lives in a village in Germany. This kid is obsessed with how machinery works. When he was last in Cville, I arranged a visit to an office building with the on-site engineer to examine the guts of how elevators work. For the rest of his stay, that was all he could talk about.
In Germany, he and his folks ride a local train, perhaps 3 or 4 cars long. He befriended the driver and (don't tell anyone this), he got the opportunity to "drive" the train briefly. He pushed some button or some lever and he could feel the train respond by slowing down as it approached the next station.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 06:05 pm
@Merry Andrew,
2 common causes of death in the desert south-west are dehydration and freezing.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 07:24 pm
@roger,
I summer, I've had trouble getting used to heat being less at, say, noon or 1 p.m. than 4 pm.
farmerman

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 06:59 am
@ossobuco,
Only people from Rhode Island and a few spots around DC are allowed to use the word
"summer" as a verb
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 09:02 am
Good morning. It started snowing around 4 am and we are up to about 3 inches. The prediction has been revised upward to perhaps 8.
16 degrees F with a stiff breeze forecast for later in the day.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 09:43 am
The snowing has stopped. We got 6-8 inches on top of 1/2" of ice. Today is Dig Out Day.

We're ready to move somewhere this never happens. Anybody got suggestions? The location must also have no hurricanes or earthquakes, good medical facilities, and low property values.

<puts on heavy coat, grabs snow shovel, grumbles...>
dyslexia

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 10:27 am
we got about 1/4 inch snow on thursday morning. It was all gone within an hour.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 12:21 pm
@Eva,
Eva wrote:
We're ready to move somewhere this never happens. Anybody got suggestions? The location must also have no hurricanes or earthquakes, good medical facilities, and low property values.

<puts on heavy coat, grabs snow shovel, grumbles...>

Eva, I've been here 3 years now. Hasn't snowed one time. Not a flake. No hurricanes, no earthquakes ... I'm only vaguely aware our local news have weather reports. I own a really good umbrella I got when I lived in Kansas, but I've no idea where it is. It's a beautiful day outside. My son just got back from baseball practice.

It does get warm in the summer.
Eva

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 12:30 pm
@Ticomaya,
Where are you, Tico?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 01:48 pm
@Ticomaya,
Quote:
It does get warm in the summer.
rofl
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 02:19 pm
The storm in VA seems to have ended. I measure the snow at 7+ inches.
We fared much better this time than we did in the Dec 18th storm (14"), where the highway people did not perform well and the citizenry totally freaked out.
Very little traffic today and the roads should be fine by Sunday morning.
It, the snow, is pretty.
hamburgboy

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 12:42 pm
@realjohnboy,
forecast from the most authentic source :

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5gxUy7cl4UkBpd1_Jg7Wi8h9m_PoQ

" Keep the snow shovel handy - groundhogs predict 6 more weeks of winter
By Allison Jones (CP) " 1 hour ago

WIARTON, Ont. " Better keep the snow shovel, toque and hot chocolate handy - North America's most famous furry forecasters emerged on Groundhog Day to break the news that they predict six more weeks of winter.

A mix of cheers and groans arose from the crowd gathered in Wiarton, Ont., as Canada's best-known weather prognosticating groundhog, Wiarton Willie, delivered his forecast. "

full report at the link - if you really want to know .
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 12:45 pm
For today/tonight, most districts in our state got a "severe weather warning" ('violet') - for storm and snow (more than 30cm in 12hours).
Our town is just outside ... but 15 km away, in the slightly higher regions, more than 200 cars/lorries stuck in up to 100cm high snow banks, including two police cars and three lorries with ... de-icing salt.

Weather forecast for the rest of the week says snow, sleet, rain and temperatures up to +5°C.
realjohnboy

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 06:16 pm
It is snowing again in Cville in the mountains of Virginia. 3-6" forecast. The asphalt got some sun Sunday and Monday and was warm enough to be able to put up a decent fight for a few hours. But now the snow is winning. Creeping out from the curbs towards the center.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2010 12:29 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
We (= we here) got a lot of rain and later in the night some snow.

At my mother's, 10 miles away, they've got 10 to 15 centimetres (which a had to shovel away this morning .... 16 meters entrance and pavement).

However, several hundred lorries blocked a motorway 40 miles away .... for 22 hours, blocking some thousand cars as well, over 40 kilometres (25 miles)
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2010 01:38 pm
@hamburgboy,
Phil was right about the forecast! This is ABQ this afternoon after a morning of constant snow falling:

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs202.snc3/20944_457185430213_748555213_11042364_7041227_n.jpg
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2010 02:52 pm
PASS THE CYANIDE
A winter weather warning has been issued. Snow in the Charlottesville area should begin around daybreak on Friday and continue through Saturday night.
The heaviest snow should occur Friday evening through Saturday evening with total accumulation expected to be between 20 and 28 inches.