hamburger

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 11:18 am
@cicerone imposter,
c.i. wrote :

Quote:
... so I do a little kicking action to warm it up a bit. I fall asleep pretty quickly after reading a book, and usually get eight hours of sleep. My wife is lucky to get six hours.

with all the kicking you are doing , it's no wonder your poor wife gets only six hours of sleep !
don't complain to us if she starts kicking back !!! Shocked Wink
.........................................................................................................
eastern lake ontario :
spring has been postponed - woke up to minus MINUS 12 C this morning and several inches of snow on the driveway - don't feel like shovelling , the snowtires will get us through .
slight warmup expected in another week .
hbg
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 11:23 am
@hamburger,
I feel like I'm freezing at 50 degree F; and you enjoy minus 12C. I love California - but especially Silicon Valley. We're going to get mid-sixties F weather today. Mr. Green
hamburger

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 02:39 pm
@cicerone imposter,
just took the garbage out to shed - the sun is peeking through the clouds Very Happy -
but what does the thermometer show ? MINUS 8 C - time to get Drunk

at least my first run through the income tax forms gives me reason to cheer - looks like we only have to pay another $20 - hope i didn't make any errors in the calcutions - wish me luck .
hbg

gonna sharpen the pencils again ...

http://www.funtoosh.com/f_images/income_tax_pencil.jpg

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 03:17 pm
@hamburger,
Wishing you luck with your income taxes. Our liability was over $3 grand, but with credits, we ended up paying about $2,100. We're supposed to get a $45 refund from the state, but California is dead broke.
hamburger

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 03:19 pm
@cicerone imposter,
c.i. wrote :

Quote:
We're supposed to get a $45 refund from the state, but California is dead broke.

look at all the "free" sunshine you are getting - should be worth at least $45 2 Cents
hbg
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 09:11 pm
@hamburger,
Oh, our sunshine is worth a whole lot more than $45. We've had a couple of sunny days, so I worked in our yard. Supposed to expect some more rain tomorrow, but we can still use more of it. The water district heads were talking about a voluntary cut back of 10% in water usage, but with this extra rain, we may not need to.
realjohnboy

Reply Sat 16 May, 2009 06:49 pm
@cicerone imposter,
We are getting a heavy t-storm in Central VA tonight. 3rd day in a row.
And this morning at 4:06 we had a minor, a very minor earthquake. Really.
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Tue 26 May, 2009 04:41 pm
Rain, Rain and more rain.
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 05:24 am
Rain, rain...................................omg sun briefly!
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 07:10 pm
A tiny little T-storm got over the mountains last evening. 15 minutes; a tenth of an inch of rain.
And then an incredible show of what I was told to call "heat lightning." Horizontal streaks of lightning blazing across the sky, separated in time by seconds. No thunder and no lightning coming down.
It went on for about an hour. Awesome to watch.
realjohnboy

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 03:52 pm
Heavy rains forecast for parts of CA? 6 inches in places, I hear.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 12:36 am
@realjohnboy,
First time in minus last night: -3.6°C (25.5°F)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 04:49 am
@realjohnboy,
How is the tree color down there in Charlotsville? We want to visit Monticello and go to that orchard over the next hill. (It sells heritage variety apples and we are looking for Cortlands for holiday pies )

We are forecast for some SNOW Shocked over the weekend.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 04:54 am
It had got nicely in the seventies and dipped into the sixties a night or two. Now we are back to ninety degree days for a few. After that, fall is predicted for here.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 02:19 pm
Quote:
Central Europe hit by heavy snow, high winds
Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:40pm BST
By Barbara Sladkowska and Kuba Jaworowski
WARSAW (Reuters) - Poland deployed troops and snow ploughs on Wednesday after snow and powerful winds cut off power supplies to as many as 700,000 people in storms which swept Central Europe.

Tens of thousands of Ukrainians were also without electricity as wind and snow damaged power lines and generators, the emergencies ministry in Kiev said.

High winds whipped up huge waves along Poland's Baltic coast, damaging the pier at the seaside resort of Sopot and forcing the evacuation of families from a river island threatened by rising water levels.

"The snow is continuing to fall all the time. The situation is fast-moving. All our brigades are out in the field, trying to deal with the situation," Katarzyna Burda-Mazurek, a spokeswoman for Poland's PGE power company, told the PAP state news agency.

Ukrainians also suffered freezing temperatures at home as authorities who control the heating to entire apartment blocks had not yet turned it on.

Power outages in western Ukraine interrupted Russian oil supplies to Europe through a Ukrainian part of the Druzhba pipeline, though officials from both countries said pumping should restart within 24 hours.

Austria's Alps recorded the biggest October snowfalls in 25 years, with as much as 75 cm (30 inches) in the mountainous regions around Salzburg and up to 40 cm (16 inches) in the region bordering Switzerland.

The train link to Switzerland via the Arlberg was shut for hours after trees crashed onto tracks under the snow's weight. Tyrol's mountain rescue service issued the first avalanche warning of the season.
farmerman

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 03:17 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I dont believe any weather reports from people whose names contain mostly consonants
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 04:15 pm
@farmerman,
The peak for the colors in the mountains of VA is projected to be yowards the end of next week.
farmerman

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 04:31 pm
@realjohnboy,
Thanks, I hope we can get some nice Fall weather , were gonna try to visit Monticello where I can get some more acorns > (I start potted oak trees from historical sites and we donate them at a community benefit auction next fall, they are big hits with the tourists who come in for our seasonal auction. Then its apples for pies and having a nice crisp fall day is really beautiful in the hills.
realjohnboy

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 05:02 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I start potted oak trees from historical sites and we donate them at a community benefit auction.

Cool! A couple of years ago the VA Forestry Dept put out a call for acorns. I can't recall the circumstances as to why they needed them. I have 2 white oaks-huge suckers- 20' from my house. 2 adults with outstretched arms wrapping their arms around the slightly bigger of the 2 won't be able to touch fingers. They got a bushel basket of acorns from me and the squirrels still had plenty.
hamburgboy

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 06:15 pm
@realjohnboy,
well , here is the forecast for the eastern end of lake ontario :

Quote:
Kingston - Odessa - Frontenac Islands
3:22 PM EDT Wednesday 14 October 2009
Frost warning for
Kingston - Odessa - Frontenac Islands continued

Widespread frost expected again tonight.

getting the longjohns ready !
0 Replies