hamburger

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 04:37 pm
@hamburger,
eastern lake ontario
about 20 cm of snow fell overnight .
high today about MINUS 15 c .
fellow with snowblower just finished cleaning our driveway .

another 15-20 cm expected on sunday - snowblower will be back tomorrow .
staying cold for a couple of days .

snow AND rain expected for christmas - that would be really BAD !
hbg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 04:29 am
After a week of cold, but sunny weather (photos from yesterday) ...

http://i42.tinypic.com/33b273t.jpg http://i39.tinypic.com/j9v9cj.jpg

... it's still cold, but started with snow grizzling.

Since 10, 15 years we finally got a winter again as it was "in those good old days", the first time since ages that the ski-lift operators in the nearby mountain region won't make a deficit.

http://i43.tinypic.com/ibvogo.jpg
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 07:53 am
Well, NE Florida has had a cold winter so far. Temperatures are definetely much colder than usual for our winters. We even had a hard freeze warning. I'm lucky to be more or less surrounded by water on an island - s0 it keeps things a wee bit less cold. I remember those month after long month of frigid cold weather in southwestern PA, when I'd walk outside & my nose froze on the inside AND inside. Talk about Chapstick weather - wow! And what is it about this nasty cold weather that makes my fingers crack & bleed at the fingertips. I talk all summer long about how much I long to be up north, then each summer I do nothing - don't even go camping - not once. But sadly enough I've got all the free time in the world. I'm just dangerous to drive from the nightime hypoxia due to sleep apnea (the docs can't seem to get this disease under control ?) Well, doctors are just "practicing".... right?
Jose Cuervo

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2009 07:19 pm
@babsatamelia,
North Texas is very mild- we are even in danger of some svere weather.
The frozen precip. they're calling for here may be hail!

Right now about 70F and winds 10-20 fom the South
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2009 07:50 pm
@babsatamelia,
You folks in Florida are soooo spoiled. If the temps are in the 50s you go looking for extra sweaters to put on. It was about two degrees shy of 50 F. here in Boston today and I was walking around with just a light sports coat on. (And pants and shirt and boots, of course, before someone makes a snide comment.) That's warm for February. Waaaay warm. (Might even melt most of the snow still on the ground.)
hamburger

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 06:43 pm
@Merry Andrew,
eastern lake ontario :
brief warm spell last week - daytime high above freezing <GRIN> .
last few days it has turned cold again : overnight minus 12 - 14 C , daytime high below freezing - high for today minus 4 C .
sun has been shining nicely , so we took a walk along lake ontario .
to see the lakke covered in ice is a beautiful sight - but it's a good idea to dress properly .
the sun is beginning to warm up the air over the lake and the ice is beginning to "growl" - also the occasional "BOOM" when it is starting to crack .
expect warmup by the beginning of march - it'll likely start with rainshowers , but still some snow expected this week .
hbg

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/5526/feb2009018fq8.jpg

0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 06:50 pm
I wonder if this is the oldest active thread on the site.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 07:06 pm
it' s winter/spring here, temp today 60, crocus are up, 1,000's of dandilions, both yellow and red finches as well as doves are thick as thieves.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 07:32 pm
The robins arrived here, on Friday. I always look for them each year.
Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2009 06:21 am
@edgarblythe,
Last few years robins have been wintering here, I think.
hamburger

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2009 11:36 am
@Merry Andrew,
haven't seen any robins yet - but lots of crows . i think some are pretty big and might be ravens wintering from the north - i find it difficult to distingiush them from crows - except by their sound .
a rabbit has appeared from one of the holes under the spruce trees - looks well nourished - should be lots of baby rabbits in about three months .
sunny again - just beloow freezing - heading out for a walk soon .
hbg
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2009 12:07 pm
@hamburger,
We're now into our third day of rain - but we're still short by 25". However, the forecast is for more rain today and the next few days. I welcome it, but accident rates have been going up dramatically.
hamburger

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2009 12:13 pm
@cicerone imposter,
perhaps you need some snow to reduce the accident rate ? <GRIN>
hbg
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2009 12:20 pm
@hamburger,
We are getting some snow on the Sierra Nevada Mountain range.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2009 12:50 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Big storm moves into S. Calif.; snow closes I-5
1 hr 23 mins ago

LOS ANGELES " A storm that could be the largest of the season is bringing heavy rain and snow to sections of California.

The National Weather Service posted winter storm warnings Monday for the Sierra Nevada and issued flood advisories from the San Francisco Bay area south to the Los Angeles region.

The California Highway Patrol said snow closed a section of Interstate 5 in the mountains north of Los Angeles. The highway department required tire chains on Interstate 80 through the Sierra Nevada.

Meteorologist David Gomberg calls it the area's "most significant storm so far this season."
Letty

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2009 05:37 pm
@cicerone imposter,
C.I. are you and your lovely wife in the path of that storm?

There's a cold wind blowing off the ocean here in my little corner of Florida.
hamburger

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2009 06:09 pm
@Letty,
letty :

would you like to trade the "cold wind blowing off the ocean" for some "southerly breezes coming across lake ontario " ? Wink

btw those are not waves on lake ontario but "ice-ridges" .

another cold night but relatively mild tomorow night - minus 6 C - will probably be kickng off the down comforter - live dangerously .
hbg

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/7263/feb2009015zb5.jpg
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2009 06:16 pm
@hamburger,
It's so cold here, I wear two t-shirts to bed. LOL
hamburger

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2009 06:29 pm
@cicerone imposter,
doesn't it get a little drafty around the "lower region" ?
or do you pull one up your legs ?
when you wake up in the morning you might not know which way to get out of bed .
Shocked
hbg
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2009 06:52 pm
@hamburger,
What really happens is it feels like I'm freezing when I first hop into the bed, but by morning it's warm and comfortable. My feet really feels cold, so I do a little kicking action to warm it up a bit. I fall asleep pretty quickly after reading a book, and usually get eight hours of sleep. My wife is lucky to get six hours.