hamburger

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 11:41 am
Quote:
The fall colors turned out to be pretty decent

but the smell of cheesecake is making up for it - it's almost becoming intoxicating (mrs. has the firm conviction that adding some rum to the mix will improve the flavour of the cake - I AGREE :wink: )
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 11:47 am
RJB--how was the color from Monticello? I remember visiting an orchard near there and having to wear shades because of the colors.

We had a lovely autumn and the red and sugar maples still have their leaves , providing a nice contrast to the yellows of the silver maples and ginkos.(Somebody planted a lot of ginkos around here a hundred or so years ago)

Our thanksgiving is almost tropical, were already up to the mid 60"s and its only noon.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 11:54 am
Which reminds me of Aunt Lillian. My great aunt actually. We are all German (a bit more complicated then that due to shifting borders but we'll leave it there).
She would spend hours in the kitchen, cooking up a storm, and the whole house smelled so good. So good.
But her strategy in cooking was rum for the cheesecake, some rum for the cook. Wine for the broth, some wine for the cook.
Her meals were excellent, but she always came to the table pleasantly looped.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 05:10 pm
Oops. The forecast for tonight/tomorrow was for snow flurries. But it changed an hour ago. The prospect of 3" by morning.
I drive a van that handles terribly in ice/snow unless I put about 400 lbs of firing clay over the back axle. I thought about doing that today, but the van is full of cardboard going to recyling, and there were only supposed to be flurries.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 06:25 pm
eastern lake ontario :
we had freezing rain followed by snow and more freezing rain .
the last eight years i had snowtires for the car . i got rid of them this spring and people told me not to bother getting new ones - all-weather are fine !
be putting on a new set of new snows on thursday after slipsliding around during the last several days Shocked
hbg(ready to blast through the snowbank that the snowplow usually leaves right in front of our driveway - that'll show them !!!)
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 12:50 pm
eastern lake ontario :
an absolutely wonderful day ! just a bit below freezing but skies are blue and the sun is shining !
lake ontario looks like a blue mirror - not a ripple on the water (but than can change in a hurry !) .
had our swimming pool christmas party this morning . about 25 "oldtimers" having coffee and lots of goodies and even singing some christmas carols :wink: . muriel - one of our british ladies - was in particularly fine form this morning ; her voice was "trilling" and loud enough so that i didn't have to make much of an effort - was free to turn my attention to cake and cookies Laughing
hbg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 12:28 pm
EASTERN LAKE ONTARIO

Quote:
Text Forecast from Environment Canada
Kingston: Issued 11.00 AM EST Sunday 16 December 2007

Winter storm warning in effect.

Today Snow at times heavy and blowing snow. Amount 10 to 20 cm. Wind northeast 40 km/h gusting to 60. Temperature steady near minus 8.

Tonight Snow at times heavy ending overnight then cloudy. Amount 5 cm. Blowing snow this evening. Wind northeast 40 km/h gusting to 60 becoming light this evening. Wind becoming northwest 30 overnight. Low minus 10.

i'm sure glad i hired someone to clear the driveway :wink:
the city plow came through once and will no doubt make a few more runs today and tonight .
we'll probably just stay in the house today and tomorrow - except to set out the garbage pail - though i'm not sure there will be pickup tomorrow .
hbg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 12:32 pm
The snow plow came by three times this morning.

By the time I thought I'd venture out to dance class, there was no evidence the plow had been through.

By the time I got back from cancelled dance class (and a couple of errands I did on the way back), the snow was past my knee in some spots.

Part of the transit system has been shut down. Luckily the subway and bus system are running - slow and late - but running.

I took some pix from the bus, will have to upload them later. Folks standing next to snowbanks next to their driveways. The piles of snow are higher than the tops of their heads in some cases.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 12:42 pm
A month or so ago, the Hamburgers thought about doing what many Canadians do, Head south. They talked about a leisurely drive down to a sunny beach in South Carolina. They would drive along the Blue Ridge Mountains and have dinner with a fine wine with Johnboy.
So where are they now?

Fare well, yall.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 12:43 pm
mrs. hamburger's knee doesn't seem to have been up to that trip Sad
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 12:47 pm
I knew, ehbeth, that there were issues. I was just teasing. -johnboy-
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 12:51 pm
We aer hunkered in today. The ice gray sky, which appears to be only a hundred feet above our seventh floor bunker, has not changed in light nor shape in several hours.

Someone has thrown a pair of sweatpants over this part of the world.

We eat the last two pieces of Challah French Toast and are disappointed the coffee pot has nothing but a sip left in it.

Joe(what is that I see in the distance? Uh oh, someone's huge black knit hat.)Nation
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 07:02 pm
eastern lake ontario
------------------------
it has stopped snowing . i did take the garbage and blue box out to the curb - through about 12-15 inches of snow .
we'll just wait 'til the guy with the snowblower comes sometime tomorrow . plenty of food in the house , power is on , warm duvet on the bed - i'm not going to worry .
sunshine forecast for monday Laughing
hbg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 05:53 pm
eastern lake ontario
-----------------------
it stopped snowing towards morning . the city plow came by often enough to fill in our driveway entrance with about two feet of snow - nicely packed :wink:
at noon the fellow came with the snowblower and cleared about 30-40 cm ( about a foot) of snow in about 20 minutes - probably would have taken me all day to shovel . it's SO MUCH EASIER to watch him do it Laughing
since i had the snowtires mounted a week ago there was no trouble getting around .
just decided that tomorrow we'll go for our early morning swim again .
hbg
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 08:25 am
The weather report for Phoenix, Arizona:

Today: 110F/43.3C ("Sunny and hot")
Tomorrow: 110F/43.3C ("Hot with plenty of sunshine")
Saturday: 113F/45C ("Mostly sunny and hot with the temperature approaching the record of 115 set in 1968")
Sunday: 111F/43.8C ("Hot with a full day of sunshine")
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 05:39 pm
So what was it today (Friday), Tico?
It was 55 when I left my house just before 7 am. It got up to 80.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 06:25 pm
realjohnboy wrote:
So what was it today (Friday), Tico?
It was 55 when I left my house just before 7 am. It got up to 80.

112 degrees right now. I play an outdoor soccer game in 95 minutes. Wish me luck.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 08:12 pm
Let us know if you die.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 08:54 pm
http://www.indoorairinc.com/sweating.jpg

SO SORRY !!!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 09:06 pm
hbg, Good cartoon! It was 99 degrees F today in our neck of the woods, but the forecast is for cooler tomorrow. Went to see "Mongol" today to a) sit in a cool theater, and b) try to expand my knowledge about Genghis Khan.

While in Central Asia last month, we learned a little about Genghis Khan, Alexander the Great, and Tamerlane; all conquered a big stretch of land in that part of the world from India to Russia, and Asia to Europe. Genghis Khan and Tamerlane didn't even know how to read or write. It's amazing what they accomplished.
0 Replies