Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 03:30 pm
I'd thought of placing it in front of the Archers Dart ... you even might get a photo in the Star and couple of free drinks!
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 03:41 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
I'd thought of placing it in front of the Archers Dart ... you even might get a photo in the Star and couple of free drinks!
now that its non smoking inside and lots of people smoking outstide...I left the ark outside with a big NO SMOKING notice on it.

(bad for health of animals)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 03:43 pm
Okay, we've got some nice landing places on the Lippe.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 03:45 pm
getting quite serious

BBC wrote:
Drinking water supplies have started to run out in some areas of England worst affected by the flooding.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 03:46 pm
The Archers Dart....is that rhyming slang? Shocked

Sounds like a good boozer, anyhoo.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 03:50 pm
McTag wrote:
The Archers Dart....is that rhyming slang? Shocked

Sounds like a good boozer, anyhoo.
embarrassingly, it is a short hop skip or dart from here.

most of the pubs round here were named after moths or butterflies

the Archers Dart being one

although the kids at Mrs A's school are not convinced.

(its a crap pub but very nice landlord)
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 02:14 pm
So how are you all doing in England? I am worried!

We had some heavy rain and wind today. Hope for better weather tomorrow.
0 Replies

MsT26

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2007 10:29 pm
Weather in Florida is in the 90's plus ... however I notice the evenings are not as humid as usual.

We're very happy hurricane Dean went the other way, however the season is far from over.

I'm sort of getting used to all this weather phenoma here, at least we get to leave work early since the homes closer to the beach are the first to be evacuated.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 03:06 am
Here the weather is very strange. Ups and downs that make me dizzy. This weekend is great, however. Blue sky, sunshine, it's nice and warm. And on Tuesday, we will be going to Italy for a couple of days and the forecast there is wonderful.

Misti, all our raving about Florida finally got two of my colleagues to book a trip. They are leaving on September 17. And I will watch the hurricane forecasts and maps! I did tell them that's hurricane season...
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 08:25 am
after a long dryspell - two months ? - we finally received about 2 cm (about 1/2 inch) of rain .
the ontario corn-farmers have a very meagre crop this year ; fruit farms in our area are almost all working with sprinkler system to keep the (mainly) apple trees going . checked at a local farm last weekend about prune plums : if we get plenty of rain , there'll be some , if not ... Crying or Very sad
good thing : haven't had to mow the lawn in a month :wink:
hbg
0 Replies

MsT26

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2007 12:22 am
Urs, that was very smart of you to tell them about hurricane season, however I doubt they listened.

This year reminds me of a couple of years ago, we had no warnings until the end of the season, then they came one after the other, it was terrible.

Florida, being Florida, is conditioned to these threats and like people in Louisiana go on year after year and hope they will get lucky.

I can remember our first year in Florida 1978, there was a tornado went right through Cocoa Beach, hit the Holidaiy Inn hotel area, there were electrical wires down everywhere, and they survived, thank God.

So far, I have not experienced the same thing since, but that means .................?????????????????
0 Replies

MsT26

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 12:42 am
East central Florida has had lots of rain in the recent week, which is needed. We have the afternoon thunderstorms and as we speak it's raining with lots of pretty lightening pictures.

We're still in the 90's during the day here, which is very very hot, however the evenings cool off to the 70's.

So far we've been lucky during hurricane season ... however, the end of the season is a long way off. There's lots of activity out there but they fizzle out before reaching us.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 11:28 pm
Glad to see that your good luck is holding, Misti. Fingers crossed that it continues.

In Feb., March of this year, we saw that there's still a significant number of the blue FEMA tarps dating back to '05, in Miami, Ft. Lauderdale and up the coast. Still some old work to be done.

Hoping for no hurricanes this year!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 07:07 pm
eastern lake ontario :
wonderful fall-weather , daytime 20- 25 C , night-time 12 - 17 C ,
but we have had little rain in the last two months , it just skirts our area ,
50 miles north and south there has been plenty of rain .
have had to do a bit of watering and flowers are doing fine - picked the last tomatoes today , raspberries still coming along Very Happy
hbg

front of the garden ten days ago
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/2377/mazina002ed1.jpg
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 04:22 pm
I was on the phone today with a customer from Florida who orders a few things periodically. We always engage in a bit of small talk. He asked about our drought in Virginia, and I said that it still persists, but last evening around this time we got a nice storm that went on for about half an hour. A nice rain.
When I got off the phone some of my coworkers were glaring at me. "You got rain," Craig who lives 20 miles west snarled. Same reaction from Eliza 5 miles south and Snehan 5 miles east.
Weird.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 04:50 pm
eastern lake ontario :
at 7 a.m. the forecast read : showers - trace/1 mm

at 7:15 it rained so heavily that the water overflowed the eavesthrough and just gushed over it !

after a long drought finally a good soaking - and more on the way overnight !
this afternoon the lawn looked like there was some life in it after all - it actually showed some green !
(so much for the forecast Rolling Eyes )
hbg
0 Replies

MsT26

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 07:23 pm
Hamburger, what a beautiful garden you have! It's breathtaking!

A large area of high pressure will build across the atlantic
coast north of florida this weekend while a broad area of low
pressure develops across the bahamas. this will result in a long
fetch of strong and gusty northeast winds developing off the
eastern seaboard that will continue well into tuesday. the long
fetch of winds will build seas rapidly by sunday over the
atlantic waters to over 12 feet.

It is very windy today/nite, and I'm loving it ... it's the kind of wind that howls, reminds me of Ireland and it's gale storms!

So far today it has only threatened to rain, just false alarms.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2007 04:46 pm
eastern lake ontario :
fall is in the air ! daytime highs around 20 C - night-time around 12-15 C - fine sleeping weather !
garden is putting on a last display of colour - no overnight frost in the forecast yet .
pix just taken around 4 pm .

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/156/fall07014hx1.jpg
0 Replies

MsT26

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 09:49 pm
Weather in Florida today is gorgeous, it was in the 80's today, and this evening very little humidity, low is 68F, so we could not ask for better!

Pretty soon we'll be able to turn the air conditioning off and open all the windows!
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 10:30 am
Turn off the air conditioning?! Aaaaahhhh, that sounds so good.

Every morning when I drive to work now I have to turn on the seat heating in my car. Yes, it is fall in the south of Germany.

But we have wonderful days with sunshine and the leaves are turning. It truely is a golden October.

Next week, we are going to Austria for a couple of days. The weather forecast is very good. Cold nights with temperatures around freezing but gorgeous days Cool
0 Replies