hamburger

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 02:41 pm
eastern lake ontario :
we have now had 32 days without the temperature going above freezing !
woke up this morning to a bone-chilling MINUS 24 C - about minus 35 windchill - but plenty of sunshine .
at noon it was still minus 15 c - but tomorrow there is to be a break -
temperature to be just above freezing !
hbg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 02:37 pm
eastern lake ontario :
we finally had three days with ABOVE freezing highs Very Happy !
today the temperature is stuck at MINUS 10 C !
overnight low MINUS 15 C !
outlook for the next ten days : HIGHS will be below freezing !
yes , yes , the sun is shining and since the window in the computer room faces west i've had to pull down the blinds - meanwhile the furnace is eating away at the fuel oil supply !

no doubt we'll have sweltering heat come july - wish we could store some of this cold temperature .
hbg
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 02:57 pm
sorry to read about your cold temperatures ham

its unseasonably warm here

daffodils nearly out

birds singing

idiots bicycling about in luminous yellow jackets
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 03:00 pm
Yikes - how can you cope with that cold, hamburger?

Bloody lovely here - at 8am - hot, sunny humid - and I'm staying at a friend's place on the beach south of Sydney!! Swim later!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 04:18 pm
steve wrote :
Quote:
birds singing

the cardinals have actually started to call their mates and the squirrels are scurrying around during the noonhour .

margo wrote :
Quote:
Swim later!

yes , you can swim here too , if you are willing to cut a hole through the ice of lake ontario first :wink: .

the winter has been somewhat unusual . untill the middle of january it was quite mild and we didn't think lake ontario would freeze (it's frozen over every year in the 50 years we have lived here - i guess we should have known better ) !
as i said , by the time july rolls arond we'll probably have 30C PLUS and plenty of humidity to make us sweat - just have to be patient .

it's 5 pm and the sun is shining quite brightly - gives me that warm , fuzzy feeling .
hbg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 04:54 pm
I think it's in the mid-sixties today; at least that's how it "feels."
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 05:25 pm
it feels like the "low 70's here" - inside the house !
hbg
0 Replies

Misti26 II

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 11:27 pm
It's actually quite nice here in Florida for a change ... We've had a few cold fronts which made me realize how fortunate we are that it wasn't constant .... this week has been in the high 60's to low 70's daytime, and 50's in the evening.

What frosts our butt here is we live on the 2nd floor of a condo., on the northwest corner, it's ALWAYS windy here on the porch.

My sister hates the wind ... So doubt if we will renew our lease:(
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 02:06 pm
With the dawn came snow, Perhaps an inch. but then came the sleet and then, perhaps, rain. But now back to sleet. Trees and power lines don't get along well with sleet.
Thank god for a dog or two to keep you warm when the wires get taken down.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 02:45 pm
About a week ago, it was around 20 degrees here. Now, afternoons are averaging perhaps 74. We may have a few fronts pass through, but I feel that spring is on the way.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 02:56 pm
misti wrote :

Quote:
What frosts our butt here is we live on the 2nd floor of a condo., on the northwest corner, it's ALWAYS windy here on the porch.

what do you have to do to frost your butt , buy and sit on an iceblock ?
here , you get it for free in about a couple of minutes Laughing .

still below freezing at noonhour and getting colder overnight but the sun shines Very Happy .
eastern lake lake ontario has a solid icecover and students and others are out on the ice for a game of hockey .
hbg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 07:39 pm
We're having a bit of a blizzard.

The temp's not horrible, the snow's lovely, but brrrr it's windy when you're on the stoop waiting for the dogs to come back in.
0 Replies

neko nomad

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 08:29 am
Strange weather down in Arkansas, though; this looks more like May weather there. Wonder if we're in for a hotter than usual summer....

http://showtime.arkansasonline.com/e/img/photos/2007/02/25/dumas_tornado1_t300.JPG
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 11:23 am
still snowing/snowing again

it's pretty blowing up against the next office tower
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 11:53 am
eastern lake ontario :
we didn't get any of the snow that come out of the u.s. mid-west .
after hitting the "golden horseshoe" (niagara region) and toronto it seems to have sailed across lake ontario bound for NY state .

needed to clip my fingernails this morning and went out on the frontporch to do it . it was then that i realized that i hadn't been standing on the frontporch for any length of time for about two months .
hurray ! it's getting milder , i can clip my fingernails on the frontporch again Very Happy .
rain is expected later this week - that's o.k. , it'll start cleaning the driveway .
hbg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 12:01 pm
it didn't sail anywhere - it appears to be moored just above Toronto
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 12:14 pm
ebeth wrote :
Quote:
it didn't sail anywhere - it appears to be moored just above Toronto

aren't you lucky , why don't you keep it for the time being ? :wink:
will advise when required here Very Happy .
hbg
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 10:24 am
After a couple of very windy and rainy days we had a wonderful spring day today and I went out for a long walk.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 11:41 am
eastern lake ontario :
hardly a sign of spring yet - except for squirrels scurrying around and a cardinal calling for a mate .
looking out the window : the backyards are still full of snow and ice ,
and we are expecting another cold-wave by tuesday with a HIGH of about MINUS 10 C !
at least the plants have enough protection against a cold spell .
knowing that we live in eastern ontario , we'll have to accept that spring won't really arrive before april - is we are lucky !
it seems that we turn the furnace off by mid-may and by june we turn the air-conditioner on .
hbg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 11:26 am
ICE FALLING FROM C.N. TOWER CLOSES MAJOR TORONTO EXPRESSWAY
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
just watching the toronto noon hour news :

Quote:

http://images.theglobeandmail.com/archives/RTGAM/images/20070305/wicehighway0305/0305cntowerdonebig.jpg

"Sheets of ice being sheared off the CN Tower in downtown Toronto by strong winds have prompted police to close a section the Gardiner Expressway"

STAY CLEAR !
0 Replies