hamburger

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 11:51 am
eastern lake ontario :
absolutely glorious day !
it's a bit below freezing and the sun is shining brightly (into our south-facing living room window) .
this isn't hard to take .
i keep checking the fuel-oil tank gauge ; it's hardly moving - NO COMPLAINTS ABOUT THAT :wink: !
hbg
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 03:27 pm
SNOW! The first snow this winter! I have mixed feelings...
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 12:35 pm
eastern lake ontario :
winter has arrived !
overnight low minus 20 C - daytime high minus 15 C - getting colder over the weekend .
plenty of sunshine .
when we were coming back from our morning swim (it's an INDOOR pool Very Happy ) , we drove past lake ontario .
the lake is steaming and the water is churning (it looks as if lake ontario is boiling with the water from the bottom rising to the surface giving the appearances of boiling water - quite a beautiful sight ) .
hbg
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 11:01 am
Last week was quite a chaos with all the snow. Now it's getting warmer again and it's supposed to be quite nice on Monday.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 01:59 pm
eastern lake ontario :
it seems as if we'll get a taste of winter after all .
noon hour high was minus 12 C ; the next several days we'll have overnight lows of minus 15 to minus 20 .
took a short stroll along the shore of lake ontario around noon .
nice sunshine , very little wind - beautiful !
will post piix later .
(long johns do feel good when it's minus 12 C Laughing )
hbg
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2007 05:41 pm
A week or two ago, we were told that there would be a "winter event." As usually happens, there was a run on the grocery stores. But we ended up getting pretty much nothing. I know that predicting weather for central Virginia is tough. I live just to the east of the Blue Ridge Mountains. If a storm coming out of TN or NC shifts a few miles in one direction or the other, it can end up heading up the valley on the west side of the mountains, or it can head through Richmond 70 miles to the east of me. Or it can hit me.
Tonight, we are back in that mode. Except this time there is also the issue of temperatures. We are supposed to get precipitation. but with the temperatures tonight and tomorrow and Wednesday, what form it will come down in is, um, up in the air.
Snow or rain would be fine with me. Sleet is the enemy.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 12:06 pm
eastern lake ontario :
it's 1 pm and still MINUS 18 C - brrr !
we are under a winter storm warning . the storm coming out oof the u.s. mid-west is expected to dump 15-20 cm , POSSIBLY up to 50 cm (!) of snow on the region along lake ontario's northern (canadian) shoreline .
northern new york state - on the south side of lake ontario - might easily get double that amount of snow !
SHOVELS ARE READY !
hbg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 07:07 pm
it's snowing
it's snowing

yippee!!

I'm skipping dance class tonight - letting the dogs into the backyard about every 5 - 10 minutes to spin in the snow while I roast a chicken and cook some good veggies.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 08:03 pm
Here in Virginia, it is the dreaded sleet. I can hear it bouncing off my norrth facing windows. Not much of anything is moving on the roads.

Tomorrow will probably be a stay-at-home day.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 08:51 pm
The local forecast for this Friday in our area is 70 degrees.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 08:53 pm
That's just depressing.

I want snow in winter.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 09:08 pm
When you get to our age group, warm and warmer are the preferred climate - year round. That's the reason why many people who live up in the north move down south when they retire. Senior communities are popular in Florida and Arizona for good reason.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2007 09:56 am
What a bunch of wusses! Schools are closed - over 300 of them (I think it's over 400 now). We have 2 inches in Cambridge. Maybe 4 inches in the NE burbs. Why close school? My neice was crying because she'd worked so hard on all her valentine cards. I'm upset because I won't get paid. 4 days out of the short month of Feb where I won't get paid. Gah!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 05:01 am
Boston public schools are open, far as I know. They were yesterday. It's 15 degrees out there, roads look slick, and I have to drive some 40 miles to Westborough later this a.m. for a training session on using PowerPoint. Yick.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 10:46 am
eastern lake ontario :
it stopped snowing yesterday afternoon - about 15 - 20 cm on the ground - but the snowplow managed to push about another 10 cm into our driveway Evil or Very Mad .
it's about noon and still MINUS 15 C - about minus 25 with windchill .
i should shovel the driveway ... have snowtires on the car ... perhaps i'll just ram my way through the snow ... once i'm on the street i should be allright .
hbg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2007 12:22 am
After a couple of rainy, but warmish days we got now (day) temperatures around 60°F/16°C and beautiful sunshine.

Crocuses and daffodiles are out and the birds singing in the morning.

No wonder, after just one day with snow and only a couple of days of frost during this "winter". (I still have last year's asterns on the balcony!)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2007 11:56 am
I've been clearing out dead bushes and plants from my back yard, but haven't decided whether I want to plant flowers, because when I'm gone for two weeks or more, they'll be dead. It's now between 60 and 75 degrees in our area during the day. We've had a few days of rain, but need more.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2007 02:01 pm
47 degrees yesterday and I was in the yard, crocus blooming and tulips coming up with the lavendula doing greatly, it's time for serious yard work.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2007 02:16 pm
More snow today while I was out earlier today - more expected for the evening when I'll be out again.

Hooray!

I love walking in the snow.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2007 04:35 pm
eastern lake ontario :
a/t the weather office we have now had THIRTY days were the temperature has not risen above freezing - and many days saw lows of MINUS 20 C and highs of LESS THAN MINUS 15 C .
while december and the first half of january were reletively mild , we are now into a different pattern - by mid-week we should be slightly above freezing during the daytime - our first break in the cold temperatures .
we have had a fair amount of sunshine which made it bearable .
hbg
0 Replies