0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 12:25 am
It's warm at many places right now

http://i13.tinypic.com/29mojet.jpg
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 08:23 am
Temperatures here in New Hampshire are back to normal, so I guess global warming is over. Whew, that was a close one. For a few weeks there it looked like we were in trouble. Everything's fine, nothing to see here, move along.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 01:02 pm
73 hot degrees in New Hampshire?

The Pacific Northwest is having extremely weird weather. We just don't "get" 18F and we don't want it, either. Right now, the temperatures outside are dropping yet the sun shines. The white stuff... it's everywhere. Last night, crackling ice rain. Waaaagghhhhh

Tonight, they're predicting a new record low of 12F.

Apparently, the Arctic Express trumps El Niño or else our "Little Spanish Boy" has been kidnapped.

<Grrrrr> Give him back!!!
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 04:28 pm
Piffka wrote:
73 hot degrees in New Hampshire?

The Pacific Northwest is having extremely weird weather. We just don't "get" 18F and we don't want it, either. Right now, the temperatures outside are dropping yet the sun shines. The white stuff... it's everywhere. Last night, crackling ice rain. Waaaagghhhhh

Tonight, they're predicting a new record low of 12F.

Apparently, the Arctic Express trumps El Niño or else our "Little Spanish Boy" has been kidnapped.

<Grrrrr> Give him back!!!

It sounds like global chaos instead of global warming. Actually, that's what I would expect from taking a relatively stable climate and trapping energy into the system... instability. Eventually it'll probably settle down into ambient heat, but initially we should probably expect to see lots of unusual weather.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 05:06 pm
Quote:
It sounds like global chaos instead of global warming. Actually, that's what I would expect from taking a relatively stable climate and trapping energy into the system... instability. Eventually it'll probably settle down into ambient heat, but initially we should probably expect to see lots of unusual weather.

that's what our canadian weather-forcasters are saying : unstable weather !

eastern ontario is still relatively mild : just around the freezing mark , a little rain , a little snow , even a little sunshine .

the canadian prairies meantime have been hit with an extreme coldwave with daytime highs in the 20 to 30 C BELOW range !
frostbite warnings have been posted on the weather-network site .
will lake ontario still freeze over this winter ? we'll see .
hbg
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 08:35 am
I agree that Global Chaos makes sense...and through its wild unpredictability will probably have us talking about it for the rest of our lives.

Luckily, we did't hit that scary 12F low which the weather forecasters had bandied about for last night. We did drop to 18F... which is plenty cold enough for the PNW where we rarely get below freezing.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 06:55 pm
We're supposed to drop down into the teens tonight and this weekend on the eastern side of Sac Valley. I went out this morning to water my plants on the balcony and retie the coverings I had placed on them. The water in the bird bath was still frozen solid at 8 am. It's coooooold!! Best stock up on orange juice. It's going to cost a bundle in a month or two.

Quote:
Deep freeze in Western states threatens crops
Updated: 5:33 a.m. PT Jan 12, 2007

FRESNO, Calif. - A cold snap predicted in several western states this weekend is expected to lower temperatures in California to the teens, worrying farmers with a citrus crop still hanging on trees.

The cold snap was brought on by an arctic mass that will move across the region, according to the National Weather Service.

"These events are infrequent, but they do happen about every 10 to 15 years," said Stan Wasowski, a forecaster with the National Weather Service in San Diego, where temperatures were expected to drop into the 30s.

In California's San Joaquin Valley, growers in the middle of the citrus season are firing up huge fans to circulate warm air in the fields and are planning all-night vigils to monitor the health of nearly $1 billion worth of oranges, tangerines and lemons.

"Even a few degrees can mean the difference between complete disaster and saving your crop," said Nick Hill, who grows oranges, tangerines and lemons on 500 acres in Dinuba.

Wind turbines help
Farmers in this mostly agricultural region of California keep a close watch on the weather and try everything to raise temperatures, even by just a few degrees.

For citrus farmers, the tried and true method for the past 40 years has been to water their land to take in sunlight during the day and run 30-foot wind machines to pull naturally rising heat back down to the orchard floor. They run them any time temperatures dip below 30 degrees. Hill worries that this time there might not be enough heat to pull back down.

A severe cold snap can destroy crops, leave hundreds of farmworkers unemployed and have long-term effects if trees are damaged. The industry took two years to recover from a 1990 freeze that lasted a week, said Joel Nelsen, president of California Citrus Mutual, a 2,000-member trade organization.

This weekend's freeze likely won't last that long, but meteorologists have said it could be comparable to a freeze that wiped out the citrus crop in 1998. If that happens again, consumers will pay more for citrus fruit in the next few months, Nelson said.

"The citrus season usually lasts until May, but a big cold snap can cut that down to ending it in 30 days," Nelsen said.

Trees still full
The central San Joaquin Valley, with 210,000 acres devoted to citrus, is the state's top producer of fresh naval oranges, according to California Citrus Mutual. More than 70 percent of the region's crop is still on the trees and workers were scrambling Thursday to pick and store as much as possible.

Orange varieties usually fare better than lemons because the sugar content lowers the freezing point.

Most crops are not in season and will be spared. Olive growers said low temperatures could cause damage to newer trees but expect the low temperatures will instead have a positive impact by killing olive fruit flies.

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 02:48 pm
We're having a hell of a cold snap here. It was down to 19 degrees here in Citrus Heights this morning and is supposed to get that low again tomorrow. It's 12:30pm and the bird bath on my balcony is still one solid piece of ice. I walked around to take a look at the streams throughout the complex and they have ice on the edges still.

It's only 36 degrees right now, and we're not expected to get much higher than 40 this afternoon. I think most if not all my plants on the balcony have bit the dust. They're all hanging like limp dicks with a severe shrinkage factor from the freeze.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 03:02 pm
eastern lake ontario :
still fairly mild , minus 6 C and sunshine .
we are supposed to go down to minus 20 C next week for a night , but we need a deepfreeze - around minus 20 C for about ten days to kill off some of those nasty bugs overwintering in the leaves end grass .
here's hoping ! ... but it doesn't need to last longer than ten days !
hbg
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 01:01 pm
Wichita had a record high temperature on Thursday (mid-60s), but dropped to the teens on Friday. Currently, there is snow on the ground and it's been sleeting yesterday and today. The high today will be 22 degrees F.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 01:29 pm
eastern lake ontario :
here is a shot from a local webcam : no snow ! lawns still have a green tinge !
we are being told there might be 10 cm of snow overnight - i sure hope the weather forecaster is right - we do need a bit of a cover to protect the perennials !
hbg
LOCAL WEBCAM
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 01:42 pm
(Throw away line): Tico, you are not in Kansas anymore.

Here in the mountains of Virginia, a 100 miles south of DC, it is 70 degrees. Unheard of for any mid-January that I can remember.
No snow, but we have had some rain. Rain, or the lack of rain. is the thing that scares me most.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 01:45 pm
realjohnboy wrote:
(Throw away line): Tico, you are not in Kansas anymore.

I'm actually enjoying the cold snap, knowing I only have another month here, then I'll be heading to sunny Arizona. No snow there.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 01:51 pm
Wichita Webcam (controllable)
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 10:23 am
Snowing hard in Charlottesville this morning. The asphalt pavement didn't really put up much of a fight. It gave up quickly, letting the snow creep across. A good day to stay home.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 11:08 am
eastern lake ontario :
a sudden coldsnap brought this morning's temperatur down to minus 22 C (about minus 10 F) , but it is already beginning to moderate .
two-week forecast shows fairly wide swings from about minus 20 C to about plus 10 C - really a bit unusual to see these rapid changes - not very good for the city waterpipes , probably will cause some to spring a leak .
noticed hat the furnace-oil tank is still about half full ; usually ready for a fill-up by end of january . we should be good for at least another month -
that's the good news about the mild winter !
hbg
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 11:31 am
After surviving last week's big storm "Kyrill" with no damage at all and warm temperatures, we are now expecting this winter's first snow in the coming week. I can feel the weather changes in my head - I am all dizzy... I hope this will pass soon... Snow? I cannot believe it! We will see...
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 04:35 pm
just came back from lake ontario - NO ICE !
lots of ducks still out on the water - do they know something we don't ?
hbg
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 09:04 pm
The snow, after half of a day and half of an inch, turned to sleet. Sleet.
An icy mix of rain and snow. And anyone with half a brain decided to stay home for the rest of the night.
Burly guys dressed in their warm hunting gear and driving big pick-up trucks with plows attached to the fronts are pretending to plow the parking lots. And they will get paid for that. And I guess they should
0 Replies