hamburger

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 12:55 pm
"massive snowstorm hits niagara/buffalo area"

ehbeth flew out of buffalo yesterday at noon to do a bit of shopping( :wink: ) in NYC . overnight the niagara falls/buffalo area was blanketed with about 50 cm of wet and very heavy snow .
(she likely wouldn't have made it by car from toronto to buffalo today .)
tens of thousands of customers are without electricity in the erea and it is expected that full services won't be restored for another three to four days .
there is also concern about widespread flooding when the snow starts to melt over the weekend .
it seems to be the earliest for a massive snowstorm in the region .
where we live - eastern lake ontario - there were a few flurries last night - but it is rather cool for this time of the year - about 6 C .
hbg

...OCTOBER SNOWSTORM BLASTS NIAGARA REGION...

many trees are down and power lines have been pulled down by falling trees .
cars buried under heavy snow .
http://www.kare11.com/assetpool/images/061013124221_Buffalo-snow.jpg
0 Replies

Misti26 II

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 07:59 pm
It seems the weather is totally backwards this year, in comparison to any other year.

Florida has already had a few cold fronts pass thru, and one on the way. Actually had the a/c off for about 10 hrs. one day, that's unheard of in early October.

Here's hoping these changes will ward off any hurricanes with an eye on Florida.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 09:03 pm
I think I read that the national weather people are predicting a pretty benign winter overall. They are off to a bit of a rough start with the weather around Buffalo.

Some folks around here, here in the mountains of Virginia, swear that the severity of the coming winter can always be predicted by the crop of acorns that fall from the oaks in the autumn.
There are two oaks in my front yard. If two people hug the tree around the larger of them, their fingers will not touch. That is how big it is. It must be a hundred or more years old.

And with age come wisdom the thought goes (johnboy is the exception).
The tree "knows" what the winter will bring and produces fruit (acorns) for the benefit of of the squirrels and deer (and at one time for the people) who would need food during the winter.

This year we are having an incredible production of acorns.
0 Replies

Misti26 II

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 09:18 pm
Very interesting how nature takes care of it's own:)

I don't mind missing a hurricane one iota!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 07:12 am
By ASSOCIATED PRESS
October 13, 2006

DURANGO, Colo. (AP) - The American West is becoming warmer faster on average than the rest of the world, a climate researcher says.

"The West is warming dramatically," said Jonathan Overpeck, director of the Institute for the Study of Planet Earth at the University of Arizona. "Things are just going to get hotter. You can bet the farm on it."

The West is 2 to 3 degrees warmer than its average annual temperature, calculated using more than 100 years of records, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Many studies peg the rise in the earth's average temperature since 1880 at 1 degree, making it the warmest it has been in the last 400 years.

At a conference Thursday, Overpeck said data from some 30 computer-modeling studies shows that by mid-century annual average temperatures in the West will be up 4 or 5 degrees. By the end of the century, the West could be 7 to 8 degrees warmer, he said.

"Things are cooking in the West, and they'll continue to cook even more," Overpeck said.
0 Replies

neko nomad

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 01:00 pm
Surf's up....

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0VAAAAGgZV1uiptFMS4JjwD!wT7zghZknTuc*2RfnLGmUD9TKtlfD6Ihus7pfS5kZX7o7GBKEO*TU3BiCHJZWWhvh2ezrdUdYEaRppI!Y6RD5cjuD!MA2z!FOqb0t4ofz/nekonomad490A.jpg

Snow & cold weather just days away now.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 02:29 pm
Neko...where is that picture from? Great Lakes?
And 300 posts in 3 years from you!
0 Replies

neko nomad

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 06:51 pm
It's Lake Ontario, John, and as the photo shows, it wasn't a good day for sailing. Figured it would make a good visual statement on our weather: blustery, with heavy cloud cover - but it was mild, though..and still is.
I'm about a five minute drive from there, in Kingston, Ontario.

You'll most likely find me in the garden; matter of fact, I'm lining up some online seed sources for ideas for spring, to continue my quest for the garden with originality.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 07:15 pm
Cool, Neko. I am sure that I speak for all of us here in saying we look forward to your words and pictures.
0 Replies

Misti26 II

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 09:08 pm
That is a beautiful picture Neko, I was sure it was in the tropics!

Looking forward to your garden photos, they are awesome!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2006 07:26 pm
eastern lake ontario :
the last several days we've had plenty of rain and it's getting a little cooler .
normal for this time of year is about 11C - but it's only been around 6 to 7 C - that feels cool , particularly in the morning .
so yesterday just after noon , what do i see : SNOW !

(thumbnail)
http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/6163/snow003vh8.th.jpg

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/7872/snow002er9.th.jpg

today it was still cool but the sun was shining - so we took a trip along the st. lawrence river and across the thousand island bridge to watertown/NY to see the beautiful fall colours .
more rain tomorrow and continuing ... Sad
hbg

the flowers didn't seem to mind the snow , they were looking good today .
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2006 09:16 pm
Summer put up a bit of a fight at the end this season, but Fall knocked it down and out for the count in the past few days here in the mountains of Virginia. We have had our first frost and then several more.
The leaves on the trees are stunning: yellow, orange, red and many still green while others turn to brown. We had a rain the other night and the leaves started to fall like, um, leaves.
0 Replies

Misti26 II

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 12:29 am
We, in Florida, are looking forward to a beautiful week of low 70's daytime, 50's evening! You can't imagine how gorgeous sounds and feels after the hot summer we've experienced!

As the weather in the north is totally changed from the usual, so is our weather in the south!

We can deal with it, no?
0 Replies

Misti26 II

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 12:56 am
Cocoa Beach, Florida, United States (32931) Lat: 28.32N, Lon: 80.61W
Wx Zone: FLZ047

Latest Reported Weather Conditions
Observed at Cocoa Beach, FL
Updated 11:55 PM EST THU NOV 2 2006

Overcast
73°F
23°C
Click here for hourly conditions and extremes during the past 48 hours.

Humidity: 69%
Wind: N at 3 MPH
Barometer: 30.06 in.
Dewpoint: 63°F
Visibility: 7SM

Click here for current weather at nearby locations
ACTIVE WEATHER ALERT... CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO

Cocoa Beach, FL Weather Forecast
Updated 10:20 PM EST THU NOV 02 2006

Rest Of Tonight
Clouds
Lo: 69°
Considerable cloudiness. Lows in the upper 60s. North winds 5 to 10 mph increasing to 10 to 15 mph after midnight.

Friday
Chance Of Showers
Hi: 79°
POP: 20% Considerable cloudiness. A slight chance of showers. Windy. Highs in the upper 70s. North winds 15 to 20 mph becoming northeast 20 to 25 mph with higher gusts in the afternoon. Chance of rain 20 percent.

Friday Night
Chance Of Showers
POP: 20% Partly cloudy with a slight chance of showers. Windy. Lows in the upper 60s. Northeast winds 20 to 25 mph Decreasing to 15 to 20 mph after midnight. Chance of rain 20 percent.

Saturday
Windy
Hi: 79°
Partly cloudy. Windy. Highs in the upper 70s. Northeast winds 15 to 20 mph increasing to 20 to 25 mph in the afternoon.

Saturday Night
Partly Cloudy
Partly cloudy. Breezy. Lows in the upper 60s. Northeast winds 15 to 20 mph.

Sunday
Chance Of Showers
Hi: 81°
POP: 20% Partly cloudy with a slight chance of showers. Breezy. Highs in the lower 80s. Lows in the upper 60s. Chance of rain 20 percent.

Monday
Chance Of Showers
POP: 20% Partly cloudy with a slight chance of showers. Breezy. Highs in the lower 80s. Lows in the upper 60s. Chance of rain 20 percent.

Tuesday
Chance Of Showers

Wednesday
Chance Of Showers

Thursday
Partly Cloudy
Partly cloudy. Highs in the lower 80s.

I can deal with this!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 08:34 am
We enjoyed six consecutive days in the 60s in Chicago earlier this week. This morning we have 8 inches of snow on top of a layer of ice with more to come. The forecast for the next seven days shows highs in the teens and 20s.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 08:44 am
Brrrr .... to your weather, JPB!

All the last days, we had temperatures up to the 60's at noon and (mostly) beautiful sunshine.

Today, a low arrived, cloudy and noon temperatures as low as 55°F. :wink:

(It has been the warmest November ever recorded.)
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 08:48 am
As i write this, it is 11 degrees, this is very unusual for Albaturkey; however it is a bright sunshine day but i am not out on the patio with my morning tea.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 11:26 am
It's bucketing rain here in Tranna.

So I had to get an umbrella for the puppy.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 11:42 am
eastern lake ontario :
still above freezing but rain , rain , rain ... plenty of flooded basements in low-lying areas , sewage treatment plant can't handle the surface water draining into the sewers and has had to dump raw sewage into lake ontario Evil or Very Mad .
cooling trend with below freezing temps to arrive in a day or two - also light snow in the forecast - but little sunshine - november was no fun .
hbg

...relief is in sight (rather : in smell Very Happy ) : big pot of oxtail/chicken soup bubbling away on the back of the stove ... matzo-balls are being prepared ... december suddenly becomes bearable :wink:
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 2 Dec, 2006 06:58 am
It has been so warm here in NYC lately (near 70F) on Thursday last, that people are doing their Christmas shopping wearing tee-shirts and shorts.

This morning is a little chillier (43F) now, but that is just to reassure us that winter is coming.

Eva swears she got 10.5 inches of snow in Tulsa a couple of days ago, but I think they just tell her that at the home for shut-ins so she won't try to leave.

Joe(going to do the 5 mile Holiday run in my Reindeer Red Shirt)Nation
0 Replies