Barack Obama, a man of tact and diplomacy.

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 04:45 pm
Chrissee wrote:
revel wrote:
Quote:
You must be talking about your own.
Rolling Eyes

WORD

You claim it's not a misquotation, but when asked to provide a citation to Bush saying it, you play evasion games.

How does it feel to have to defend your position like this because you know a simple, direct answer would show you clearly to be in the wrong? Why do you choose to live like that? If it's not a misquotation, show me where Bush said it?
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 04:48 pm
Chrissee wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Well, Decides is a present-tense verb, but can be used to indicate actions in the future as well as those beginning in the present and continuing into the future.

Or, it can be seen as having essentially no tense: 'whenever the governor decides to call in troops, is when the troops get sent in.' A description such as this can be referring to past, present, or future events and be correct each way.

I think. lol

Cycloptichorn

Yes, a continuing action.

Cyclo, this is too deep for these two. Essentially it is the same as Clinton's argument of the meaning of "is." Some people still don't undersatnd what Clinton meant. They lack the grey matter.

Case in point.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 04:49 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
If it's not a misquotation, show me where Bush said it?

I'm still trying to find someone who thinks that's a quote. The only people here who seem to think it's supposed to be a quote are Brandon and Tico.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 05:15 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
nimh wrote:
You're repeating yourself here, and the parallel is still ridiculous.

Stating that it's ridiculous without giving reasons is a post with no content, and you should know that. No such pronouncement is meaningful without an argument behind it. I will assume that you cannot defend yourself since you have declined to do so.

Ehm Brandon ... the words "still ridiculous" in the post you quote, you will notice, are a link. The link leads you back to an earlier response of mine when you made your 'argument' the first time round. You'll find the reason why I think your parallel is ridiculous there.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 05:17 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
If it's not a misquotation, show me where Bush said it?

I'm still trying to find someone who thinks that's a quote. The only people here who seem to think it's supposed to be a quote are Brandon and Tico.

It's not necessarily supposed to be a word for word quote, but Obama claims to be repeating what Bush said.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 05:24 pm
nimh wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
nimh wrote:

Stating that it's ridiculous without giving reasons is a post with no content, and you should know that. No such pronouncement is meaningful without an argument behind it. I will assume that you cannot defend yourself since you have declined to do so.

Ehm Brandon ... the words "still ridiculous" in the post you quote, you will notice, are a link. The link leads you back to an earlier response of mine when you made your 'argument' the first time round. You'll find the reason why I think your parallel is ridiculous there.

Reason as in reasoning? It won't work!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 05:26 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
It's not necessarily supposed to be a word for word quote, but Obama claims to be repeating what Bush said.

He does? Seems our understanding of the English language is quite different.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 05:28 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

He says "when Bush says this." The meaning is perfectly clear.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 05:34 pm
Chrissee wrote:
nimh wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
nimh wrote:

Reason as in reasoning? It won't work!

So, according to you, your best path here in the politics area is to post assertions, but never offer any evidence to support them, because most of your opponents are unable to comprehend you. We, on the other hand, believe that fair debate proceeds by evidence and argument, not snipes and innuendo. When asked for evidence to support our beliefs, generally we give it. When you are asked to back up your statements, you just say, "you wouldn't understand." In such an exchange, I think it is quite clear who is in the right.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 05:35 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Obama is characterizing Bush's mindset and actions, not referring to a specific thing Bush said. It is unbelievable that Barndon continues with this canard this long. Obama is neither paraphrasing or quoting Bush. Taken the totality of Bush's actions, it is a fact that Bush has finally waken up to the fact of poverty etc. At worst, Obama was a little creative in his metaphor. But to jump on this as a deception is beyond the pale.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 05:39 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Again, it is just a general reference to Bush's mindset. ONE MORE TIME, if he said "Bush said" it would be different. But he did not. It is a nuance that is beyond the comprehension of most right-wingers. That is why they think the way they do, they do not have the abiltity to understand nuance.

They also do not understand when to stop beating a dead horse.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 05:42 pm
Oooh, this is fun! Round and round we go! Second verse, same as the first...

Iiiit is a goldarn quote you see
It's a goldarn quote you see you see
Don't give me none of that "paraphrase" biz
Barack's trashin' in that way of his
And all of you are ignorant (ignorant)
Never mind your logic and your facts (no facts)
It's a goldarn quote you doofuses
A goldarn quote it is
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 06:46 am
In the interest of moving on why don't we just forget if Obama was really directly quoting Bush and just give the argument to Brandon and Ticco?

It was a pretty big thing for Bush to say that there is a racial divide which has caused poverty. Not many people in the republican party will admit to such.

http://www.bpnews.net/bpnews.asp?ID=21653

Quote:
"That poverty has roots in a history of racial discrimination, which cut off generations from the opportunity of America," Bush said. "We have a duty to confront this poverty with bold action. So let us restore all that we have cherished from yesterday, and let us rise above the legacy of inequality."
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 07:07 am
Just for the record, as there have been false reports to the contrary, poverty has increased every year under Bush.

Now the admin seems to want to help some of the disadvantaged by cutting programs for others.

Obama needs to keep hitting him hard on this.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 07:21 am
I agree.

Quote:
Overall, there were 37 million people living in poverty, up 1.1 million people from 2003.

Quote:
The median household income, meanwhile, stood at $44,389, unchanged from 2003. Among racial and ethnic groups blacks had the lowest median income and Asians the highest. Median income refers to the point at which half of households earn more and half earn less.

source
0 Replies