Barack Obama, a man of tact and diplomacy.

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 09:17 am
Re: Barack Obama, a man of tact and diplomacy.
dyslexia wrote:
Sen. Barack Obama
Quote:
In the immediate aftermath of the hurricane, I think it's important that we don't just assume that George Bush is lying when he says he's finally been awakened to the fact that there is poverty and racism in our midst," said Obama, D-Ill. "It's tempting to do so, especially when he decides to put Karl Rove in charge of reconstruction.

If Senator Obama did say this, then I assert that he is lying. Specifically, I assert that George Bush did not say what Mr. Obama quoted him as saying. Anyone have the quote with Bush saying it?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 09:26 am
I don't think Bush said "finally" -- I think it's that Bush has been mum about these issues until his address in New Orleans.

So, this quote:

Quote:
As all of us saw on television, there's also some deep, persistent poverty in this region, as well. That poverty has roots in a history of racial discrimination, which cut off generations from the opportunity of America. We have a duty to confront this poverty with bold action.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/09/20050915-8.html

Is what I think Obama was referring to. You can go ahead and find the many other times that Bush has referred to this problem and the need to rectify it. (I don't personally know if he has or not.)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 09:32 am
sozobe wrote:
You can go ahead and find the many other times that Bush has referred to this problem

Its a short list... (leave out "bush" and you get three more results...)
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 09:35 am
sozobe wrote:
I don't think Bush said "finally" -- I think it's that Bush has been mum about these issues until his address in New Orleans.

So, this quote:

Quote:
As all of us saw on television, there's also some deep, persistent poverty in this region, as well. That poverty has roots in a history of racial discrimination, which cut off generations from the opportunity of America. We have a duty to confront this poverty with bold action.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/09/20050915-8.html

Is what I think Obama was referring to. You can go ahead and find the many other times that Bush has referred to this problem and the need to rectify it. (I don't personally know if he has or not.)

After a moment on Google, I ran into this Bush speech from 2001:

Quote:
...But I do appreciate his leadership. I appreciate the fact that he's raised a profile of global poverty and has underscored the importance for erasing it. I'm proud of his leadership, and I'm proud of the folks that work here at the World Bank, and I want to thank you for coming to give me a chance to speak to you.

Last month in Poland I talked about Europe and America working in partnership to build a house of freedom, a house whose door should be open to all of Europe's emerging democracies and a house whose windows should be open Europe and America see clearly their challenges and responsibilities in the rest of the world.

My last trip to Europe focused mainly on opening the doors of freedom throughout Europe by enlarging NATO and the European Union. Tomorrow, I will travel to Europe to meet with leaders of the world's most industrialized nations, as well as Russia, to discuss the developing world and its needs and the developed world and our duties.

The needs are many and undeniable, and they are a challenge to our conscience and to complacency. A world where some live in comfort and plenty while half of the human race lives on less than $2 a day is neither just nor stable....

CNN
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 09:39 am
Yup .. thats one of the all of nine results that come up in that short list i linked ... several of which do not relate to something Bush said or are about Africa, or the money wasted since the War on Poverty began ...
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 09:45 am
It appears Obama mischaracterized what Bush said in order to make his political point. Up to this point I've thought highly of Obama, but one wonders how his Washington experience will change him. If this quote is any indication, that process may have begun.

Bush said:
    "[i]As all of us saw on television, there's also some deep, persistent poverty in this region, as well. That poverty has roots in a history of racial discrimination, which cut off generations from the opportunity of America. We have a duty to confront this poverty with bold action[/i]."

Obama's response:
    "[i]In the immediate aftermath of the hurricane, I think it's important that we don't just assume that George Bush is lying when he says he's [b][u]finally[/u] been awakened to the fact that there is poverty and racism in our midst[/b]," said Obama, D-Ill. "It's tempting to do so, especially when he decides to put Karl Rove in charge of reconstruction.[/i]"
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 10:02 am
Tico, if you'd suddenly come out and post about how you consider it a disgrace that Fox News broadcasts rhetorics and cloaks it as news, would it be a mischaracterisation on my part to comment, elsewhere, "if Tico is serious when he says he's finally been awakened to the fact that Fox broadcasts propaganda instead of news"?

The "finally" there is hardly a direct quote, is it? Should be obvious enough, I'd say...
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 10:09 am
nimh wrote:
Tico, if you'd suddenly come out and post about how you consider it a disgrace that Fox News broadcasts rhetorics and cloaks it as news, would it be a mischaracterisation on my part to comment, elsewhere, "if Tico is serious when he says he's finally been awakened to the fact that Fox broadcasts propaganda instead of news"?

The "finally" there is hardly a direct quote, is it? Should be obvious enough, I'd say...

If you said that about me I'd accuse you of mischaracterizing what I said as well. What about this is so difficult for you to grasp?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 10:10 am
Because it may be mischaracterizing what you specifically said, but not your actions or what has seemed to have been your attitude in the past. Therefore the 'finally' is valid.

(not that I know how you specifically feel about fox, but just as an example, mind you)

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 10:20 am
Ticomaya wrote:
If you said that about me I'd accuse you of mischaracterizing what I said as well. What about this is so difficult for you to grasp?

Distinction seems pretty obvious to me. Is this where I should go, "what about it is so difficult for you to grasp?" to stay on your level of discussion?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 10:21 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Because it may be mischaracterizing what you specifically said, but not your actions or what has seemed to have been your attitude in the past. Therefore the 'finally' is valid.

(not that I know how you specifically feel about fox, but just as an example, mind you)

Cycloptichorn

Rolling Eyes

"... I think it's important that we don't just assume that George Bush is lying when he says he's finally been awakened to the fact that there is poverty and racism in our midst,"

Obama absolutely mischaracterized what Bush said, and probably did so because he wanted to make a point about Rove to his fans ... and on top of that, he threw in a jab about Bush lying. If he thought Bush had been callous in the past and ignored the issues of poverty and racism, that's one thing ... but the way he framed his sentence was a definite mischaracterization. He's essentially saying, "just because Bush said "X", let's not assume he's lying," except Bush never said "X".

Clear mischaracterization.

As I said, I've been an Obama fan, and will probably remain so, but I find this to be disturbing, and hopefully not a trend.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 10:23 am
Bush said something perfectly decent and respectable, and Obama misquoted it as something ignorant and unworthy. That's what we call lying.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 10:24 am
nimh wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

Distinction seems pretty obvious to me. Is this where I should go, "what about it is so difficult for you to grasp?" to stay on your level of discussion?

I consider what you said in your hypothetical to be a mischaracterization of what I hypothetically said. Yet what Obama did was worse, because he couched his remark in terms of whether Bush was lying or not when he said something he did not in fact say.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 10:30 am
Bush says something alarmed about the poverty and racism in our midst.

Bush can not be trapped on having said much about that matter before.

The observer is therefore free to opine that "Bush has finally woken up to the poverty and racism in our midst."

The observer's fans can be counted upon to roar, "but you dont wanna believe anything he says anyway!!"

The observer says, "we shouldn't assume that Bush is lying" when he says he finally woke up to the poverty and racism in our midst.

<big shrug>
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 10:37 am
That's about the size of it.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 10:42 am
nimh wrote:

A bit clumsy, but I can agree with this ...

nimh wrote:

Still with ya ...

nimh wrote:
The observer is therefore free to opine that "Bush has finally woken up to the poverty and racism in our midst."

True. I fully agree ... he can state his opinion based on his observations.

nimh wrote:
The observer's fans can be counted upon to roar, "but you dont wanna believe anything he says anyway!!"

True. Hypothetically true, I guess ... but that is the typical knee-jerk reaction of anti-Bushies.

nimh wrote:
The observer says, "we shouldn't assume that Bush is lying" when he says he finally woke up to the poverty and racism in our midst.

Blatent mischaracterization.

nimh wrote:
<big shrug>

If you don't get it, fine. I'm not trying to hit you over the head with it.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 11:38 am
There's paraphrasing and then there is directly quoting. I suppose it's just enough for you to get hung up on.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 12:12 pm
nimh wrote:

The problem is that he stated that Bush had said something that he had not said, and then criticized him for it. If you want to state what your political adversary, or anyone for that matter, said, it is not fair game to insert unworthy elements that were not present in the person's original comment. It seems to me that some people here have very little problem with scoring points by lying.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 12:19 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:

The problem is that he stated that Bush had said something that he had not said, and then criticized him for it.

Are you sure? I think his point was that we SHOULDN'T assume that he's lying. Did you read the whole context?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 12:21 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

The problem is that he stated that Bush had said something that he had not said, and then criticized him for it.

Are you sure? I think his point was that we SHOULDN'T assume that he's lying. Did you read the whole context?

Yes, but the quotation in question was something that Bush never said at all. That's lying for gain.
0 Replies