Barack Obama, a man of tact and diplomacy.

nimh

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 05:46 am
Right on! <grins>

But dont hold back now Snood, tell us how you really feel!
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 06:22 am
snood wrote:
Lemme get this straight. Tico and Brandon (one of whom says he likes Obama, but this has him really put off) are taking Obama to task? And the incident in question is Obama making a remark that maybe we should give Bush credit for actually awakening to racism and poverty in the US, even though he assigns Karl Rove to head the reconstruction of N.O.?

Are you two guys on frikkin' crack? When do you ever hold Bush, Rove, Rumsfeld and Cheney to this same oh-so-holy standard of rigorous truth-telling? Have you ever noticed that bunch parsing words to make political hay? Did you get your indignant panties all in a bunch if you ever did notice them doing it? And no, I'm not agreeing that Barack Obama lied - not even close. You'd have to be hopelessly ignorant or hopelessly deceitful to try to interpret his point as anything but accurate about Bush and his track record and words about poverty and racism - there isn't any track record! So saying "finally" was exactly apropos.

You nincompoops can't ever see anything that Bush does in a negative light, so spare me all that 'gee-I'wanna-like-that-Obama-but-this-has-gone-too-far' pap!

Whattacrockacrap!!

Snood, I fear it is you who is on crack. Obama mischaracterized what Bush said. Plain and simple. You cannot seriously deny it, and the dancing around of those in this thread who have tried to do so has been amusing, to say the least. I'm not accusing him of lying, but he misstated what Bush said. You may think the word "finally" was apropos, but for Obama to claim Bush said that word, in the manner he did, conveyed a meaning that does not exist. He may think Bush came to a revelation, but he stated that Bush said he came to this revelation when he in fact did not. Perhaps if you'd put down the pipe for a second you might see this is true.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 06:53 am
Snood tole it like it was. Go, dude.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 08:16 am
nimh wrote:
If you said that "Chrissee finally said the sky can be blue as well", in that hypothetical dialogue, I wouldnt consider you to be LYING, and thats what you're explicitly accusing Obama of. For someone who insists on such precision on others' part, making that accusation is quite the slip. Apparently the difference between paraphrasing and quoting is too difficult to understand here.

But he's paraphrasing him incorrectly, inserting an element about never realizing these things before, that wasn't present in what Bush actually said. Misrepresenting someone is simply not acceptable.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 08:16 am
edgarblythe wrote:
Snood tole it like it was. Go, dude.

Word
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 08:18 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
nimh wrote:
If you said that "Chrissee finally said the sky can be blue as well", in that hypothetical dialogue, I wouldnt consider you to be LYING, and thats what you're explicitly accusing Obama of. For someone who insists on such precision on others' part, making that accusation is quite the slip. Apparently the difference between paraphrasing and quoting is too difficult to understand here.

But he's paraphrasing him incorrectly, inserting an element about never realizing these things before, that wasn't present in what Bush actually said. Misrepresenting someone is simply not acceptable.

Word.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 08:24 am
Quote:

Who says that Obama is paraphrasing a specific quote from Bush? That has not been established either. Obama, in my view, is not paraphrasing at all. He is reacting to Bush's ACTIONS.

You guys are desperate. Word
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 08:25 am
Chrissee wrote:
Quote:

Who says that Obama is paraphrasing a specific quote from Bush? That has not been established either. Obama, in my view, is not paraphrasing at all. He is reacting to Bush's ACTIONS.

You should only state publicly that your political opponent said something stupid or unworthy if he did say it. Too complicated for you?
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 08:37 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Chrissee wrote:
Quote:

You should only state publicly that your political opponent said something stupid or unworthy if he did say it. Too complicated for you?

No it is too complicated for YOU. The fact is Bush has finally woken up to the fact there is poverty and racism. Based on the TOTALITY of ALL of his WORDS and ACTIONS. Obama reacted to that fact. As a matter of fact, Obama never said Bush said this or Bush said that, he said "when bush says." "When Bush says" can be in the future, present or past. Like "when the mayor of a city says to evacuate, go." So it could be an anticipation, an accurate one, that Bush will say this.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 08:38 am
There was no mischaracterization of Bush's actions. It is obvious to anyone that the interests of the poor have never been a priority for Bush; he certainly has done nothing to help them.

To hear him address the problem is apropos of him finally waking up to the issue and addressing it.

And I agree with Snood; you let Bushco. get away with lies, half-truths, and generalities all the time. During the debates last year Bush flat-out lied several times about what Kerry and others had said in the past; where was your f*cking outrage over inaccuracy then?

SHeesh, you guys are ridiculous

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 08:43 am
Tico falsely claimed that Obama was paraphrasing a specific quote. He in glass house should not throw stone.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 08:44 am
Brandon falsely calimed that Obama lied. He in glass house should not throw stone.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 09:22 am
Chrissee wrote:
Brandon falsely calimed that Obama lied. He in glass house should not throw stone.

It appears to me that he lied. How is that false? Are you saying that because some convervatives or Republicans may have lied, it is then alright for liberals to lie?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 09:25 am
Chrissee wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Chrissee wrote:
Quote:

No it is too complicated for YOU. The fact is Bush has finally woken up to the fact there is poverty and racism. Based on the TOTALITY of ALL of his WORDS and ACTIONS. Obama reacted to that fact. As a matter of fact, Obama never said Bush said this or Bush said that, he said "when bush says." "When Bush says" can be in the future, present or past. Like "when the mayor of a city says to evacuate, go." So it could be an anticipation, an accurate one, that Bush will say this.

So, if you say, "The sky is blue and the grass is green," I can quote you as saying, "Conservatives should be sent to labor camps," and justify it as my evaluation of your general life practices, or as something I think you will probably say in the future?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 09:28 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
There was no mischaracterization of Bush's actions. It is obvious to anyone that the interests of the poor have never been a priority for Bush; he certainly has done nothing to help them.

So you maintain that I can alter a person's statement when quoting it to synch up with my evaluation of his practices?

Cycloptichorn wrote:
To hear him address the problem is apropos of him finally waking up to the issue and addressing it.

And I agree with Snood; you let Bushco. get away with lies, half-truths, and generalities all the time....

So, assuming for the sake of argument that Bush has lied at some times, that makes it okay for Obama to misquote him inserting bad things he never said?
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:17 am
Obama didn't lie. To say that he misquoted Bush is a lie. He never said Bush "said" ANYTHING. Anyone who claims this is not telling the truth and is either an illiterate or a liar.

Beyond that, it takes either an awful lot of gall, stupidity or mere ignorance to try to spin Obama's words as lies when their guy is an expert at "misquoting" his opponent. Perhaps they have forgotten how Bush mischaracterized Kerry's "global test" statement or the lie that Al Gore invented the internet.

Would that justify Obama being dishonest? (if he were but he wasn't) No, it addresses just how desperate the Bush Crime Family apologists have become
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:19 am
Quote:
So you maintain that I can alter a person's statement when quoting it to synch up with my evaluation of his practices?

OMFG? How many times do you have to be told that Obama NEVER said Bush "said" anything, much less quoting him.

This is like talking to a fencepost.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:19 am
Obama didn't misquote Bush because he wasn't quoting Bush, he was characterizing Bush's comment in the face of his previous track record, one which I believe is indefensible by you or any other Republican when it comes to race and economic issues; Bush has done nothing for the poor, who have fared badly under his reign.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:22 am
Chrissee wrote:
Quote:

OMFG? How many times do you have to be told that Obama NEVER said Bush "said" anything, much less quoting him.

This is like talking to a fencepost.

Then how do you explain this?

dyslexia wrote:
Sen. Barack Obama
Quote:
...I think it's important that we don't just assume that George Bush is lying when he says he's finally been awakened to the fact that there is poverty and racism in our midst," said Obama, D-Ill.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:24 am
This should be an interesting dance ...
0 Replies