Barack Obama, a man of tact and diplomacy.

Chrissee

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:33 am
Only a true illiterate cannot understand the difference between tenses. When someone says "when X says something" it can refer to an action in the past, present or future.

Quote:
Johny, when your mother says you are grounded that means you can't watch TV or use the internet in your room.

Do we know if the speaker is quoting what the mother has said or may say in the future, or just a general staement to clarify what being grounded might mean, in the past, continuing present or future?

We don't.

Again, I would not expect an illiterate to understand this.

Thsi is an irrefutable fact. Obama never said Bush "said" anything.

I got to go now and find some fenceposts to argue with. LOL
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:34 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
So, if you say, "The sky is blue and the grass is green," I can quote you as saying, "Conservatives should be sent to labor camps," and justify it as my evaluation of your general life practices, or as something I think you will probably say in the future?

You're repeating yourself here, and the parallel is still ridiculous.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:53 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Obama didn't misquote Bush because he wasn't quoting Bush, he was characterizing Bush's comment in the face of his previous track record, one which I believe is indefensible by you or any other Republican when it comes to race and economic issues; Bush has done nothing for the poor, who have fared badly under his reign.

Cycloptichorn

I have consistently said in this thread that what Obama did was "mischaracterize" what Bush said. He said Bush said something that Bush did not in fact say. I do not personally believe Bush was awakened to the realization of racism and poverty with the coming of Katrina, and would be very surprised if Bush were in fact to ever "say" he's finally come to that realization. Obama's mischaracterization included his suggesting to his fans that they shouldn't automatically conclude Bush was lying when he said that. He delivered the triple whammy: Implied the possibility that Bush is lying, implied that Bush's eyes were finally awakened the the fact of racism and poverty, and got in a dig at Karl Rove ... all the while presuming to take the high road. Of course the only problem with it was it's a fabrication of what Bush really said. But it's really a clever move, and all I'm saying is that I wonder if this means he has been changed by his Washington experience, or if he has always been this way.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:54 am
Ticomaya wrote:
This should be an interesting dance ...

Chrissee wrote:
Only a true illiterate cannot understand the difference between tenses. When someone says "when X says something" it can refer to an action in the past, present or future.

Quote:
Johny, when your mother says you are grounded that means you can't watch TV or use the internet in your room.

Do we know if the speaker is quoting what the mother has said or may say in the future, or just a general staement to clarify what being grounded might mean, in the past, continuing present or future?

We don't.

Again, I would not expect an illiterate to understand this.

Thsi is an irrefutable fact. Obama never said Bush "said" anything.

I got to go now and find some fenceposts to argue with. LOL

http://img328.imageshack.us/img328/3519/dancingcooked6sx.gif

As far as your fantasy about Obama using future tense, what tense do you suppose he intended to use in his second sentence when he said, "It's tempting to do so, especially when he decides to put Karl Rove in charge of reconstruction."

Laughing Keep dancing, though. It is amusing.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:57 am
Well, Decides is a present-tense verb, but can be used to indicate actions in the future as well as those beginning in the present and continuing into the future.

Or, it can be seen as having essentially no tense: 'whenever the governor decides to call in troops, is when the troops get sent in.' A description such as this can be referring to past, present, or future events and be correct each way.

I think. lol

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:59 am
I am sure everyone is amused that ssoemone who claims to be a trial lawyer doesn't understand basic English and that one can refer to one tense in one clause and another tense in the next clause.

Please keep exposing your ignorance. It is amusing.

As much fun as it is, I actually have productive things to do.

Bye
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 11:01 am
For the record, I believe Obama is referring to an ongoing action or a mindset. If he siad "said" instead of "says" that would have been misleading. BUT HE NEVER SAID THAT.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 11:04 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Well, Decides is a present-tense verb, but can be used to indicate actions in the future as well as those beginning in the present and continuing into the future.

Or, it can be seen as having essentially no tense: 'whenever the governor decides to call in troops, is when the troops get sent in.' A description such as this can be referring to past, present, or future events and be correct each way.

I think. lol

Cycloptichorn

Yes, a continuing action.

Cyclo, this is too deep for these two. Essentially it is the same as Clinton's argument of the meaning of "is." Some people still don't undersatnd what Clinton meant. They lack the grey matter.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 11:09 am
Chrissee wrote:
I am sure everyone is amused that ssoemone who claims to be a trial lawyer doesn't understand basic English and that one can refer to one tense in one clause and another tense in the next clause.

Bye

Laughing What's even more amusing, Chrissee, is to see you constantly claiming to be more intelligent that those of us who find your posts laughable.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 11:10 am
Chrissee wrote:
Cyclo, this is too deep for these two. Essentially it is the same as Clinton's argument of the meaning of "is." Some people still don't undersatnd what Clinton meant. They lack the grey matter.

Laughing Are you sure you want to bring Obama down to that depth so early in his political career? Come on now ... give him some credit.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 12:12 pm
Do you two feel that Obama was really trying to say that Bush said that only now he has awakened to the fact there is poverty in our midst? Is it the awakened part that is offensive? The whole thing was not a quote, Bush never said "poverty in our midst" either. If he has I can't find it.

I think cylop has it right. Obama was merely characterizing how he feels that Bush must of just now awakened to the obvious fact that there is poverty in America and that we shouldn't automatically not believe him but hold him to his words which he expressed in New Orleans so that something can be done about it. That was the gist of what he was trying to get across. He wasn't trying to mock Bush or anything.

This is a stupid argument.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 12:27 pm
revel wrote:
Do you two feel that Obama was really trying to say that Bush said that only now he has awakened to the fact there is poverty in our midst?

That is what he said (essentially).

Quote:
Is it the awakened part that is offensive?

"Offensive" to whom?

Quote:
The whole thing was not a quote, Bush never said "poverty in our midst" either. If he has I can't find it.

He did not misquote him, he mischaracterized what Bush said.

Quote:
I think cylop has it right. Obama was merely characterizing how he feels that Bush must of just now awakened to the obvious fact that there is poverty in America and that we shouldn't automatically not believe him but hold him to his words which he expressed in New Orleans so that something can be done about it. That was the gist of what he was trying to get across. He wasn't trying to mock Bush or anything.

One wonders why Obama didn't say that, if that's what he meant.

You can hypothesize all day long about what you think Obama was trying to do. All I'm doing is reacting to what he in fact said.

Quote:
This is a stupid argument.

You must be talking about your own.

----

For those interested, here is the full news account containing Obama's remarks:

Quote:
Obama on Bush: `We should trust although we should verify'

By Jeff Zeleny
Tribune national correspondent

Published September 18, 2005

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. -- Sen. Barack Obama urged fellow Democrats on Saturday not to automatically view President Bush's proposed reconstruction of the hurricane-ravaged Gulf Coast with a cynical eye, but said: "It is absolutely imperative that we call him on his bluff."

"In the immediate aftermath of the hurricane, I think it's important that we don't just assume that George Bush is lying when he says he's finally been awakened to the fact that there is poverty and racism in our midst," said Obama (D-Ill.). "It's tempting to do so, especially when he decides to put Karl Rove in charge of reconstruction."

Rove, the top political adviser to the president, will play a close role through his position as deputy White House chief of staff, but he has not formally been tapped to supervise the rebuilding.

In an address at Harvard Law School's "Celebration of Black Alumni," Obama said Democrats shared responsibility for failing to make a larger issue of poverty in the U.S. But he said it was the opposition party's duty to hold the White House accountable for fixing problems exposed by Hurricane Katrina.

"We should trust although we should verify," Obama said. "We should actively reach out to him and say, `Mr. President, we believe, in fact, that those differences were as disturbing to you as they were disturbing to us.'"

A majority of the hurricane victims in the squalid shelters of New Orleans were black, which touched off a debate about whether racism had a role in the sluggish rescue efforts. Obama, the only African-American in the U.S. Senate, said he does not believe the administration was racist.

Obama urged Democrats to look forward rather than criticize the government's leadership and response to Katrina.

"There is a certain danger of smugness and self-satisfaction on the part of those who didn't vote for George W. Bush. There is a certain sense of `I told you so,'" Obama said.

"I share the anger and I share the outrage," he added. "But what I also want to do is accept some responsibility. . . . We've been a little complacent."
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 12:28 pm
nimh wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
So, if you say, "The sky is blue and the grass is green," I can quote you as saying, "Conservatives should be sent to labor camps," and justify it as my evaluation of your general life practices, or as something I think you will probably say in the future?

Stating that it's ridiculous without giving reasons is a post with no content, and you should know that. No such pronouncement is meaningful without an argument behind it. I will assume that you cannot defend yourself since you have declined to do so.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 12:31 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
nimh wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Stating that it's ridiculous without giving reasons is a post with no content, and you should no that. No such pronouncement is meaningful without an argument behind it. I will assume that you cannot defend yourself since you have declined to do so.

Yeah, Nimh. What about this is so difficult for you to grasp?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 12:34 pm
This is really very simple. You're defending a lie with arguments that you know to be false, because you personally have no ethical problem with lying. Obama stated that Bush had said said something which Bush had not said. Obama was not stating that Bush might say it in the future.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 12:41 pm
Quote:
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 04:03 pm
There are probably only two people in the known universe who think Obama misquoted Bush and they are both here. Ain't dat sumpin ?
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 04:06 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Chrissee wrote:

Bye

Laughing What's even more amusing, Chrissee, is to see you constantly claiming to be more intelligent that those of us who find your posts laughable.

Us? You got a gerbil up your rectum?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 04:18 pm
Chrissee wrote:
There are probably only two people in the known universe who think Obama misquoted Bush and they are both here. Ain't dat sumpin ?

It's not a vote. Provide a citation to Bush saying this:

dyslexia wrote:
Sen. Barack Obama
Quote:
"...I think it's important that we don't just assume that George Bush is lying when he says he's finally been awakened to the fact that there is poverty and racism in our midst."
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 04:34 pm
revel wrote:
Quote:
Rolling Eyes

WORD
0 Replies