jp versus the belt sander... not for the faint of heart

timberlandko

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 09:07 pm
For those looking for screamish, I've read - prolly in National Geographic or something the like - of using some nasty species of army ant; you let the little darlin's clench their pincers on either side of the wound, drawing it together, then snap off the unimportant part of the ant. Not sure I'd be up for that method.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 09:14 pm
I seem to recall a story about Yul Brynner where he sewed himself with fishing line after a nasty accident.

Might be urban legend.

I'd have bet on him in a bar fight tho.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 08:15 am
Does anybody know if anti-biotics or vicodin dehydrate you?

I had the worst day yesterday. My finger hurt. My head hurt. Eyes were sensitive to light. Felt nauseous... I couldn't even look at food.

I had this unquenchable thirst. At one point I was literally standing at the toilet putting water in one end and draining it out the other... I just couldn't seem to get enough.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:27 am
rice was about the only thing i could hold down when on nasty antibiotics for a particularly bad ear infection. keep eating, you must. yoghurt with probiotic culture is also important, as those buggers can strip your insides of everything.
don't know about the dehydration, don't remember that being an issue. but it's possible different antibiotics have different side effects. poor jp. hang in there, it's only what, 10 days for antibiotics? think of it as a bad vacation or something.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:28 am
superglue though? superglue? sterile? really? any superglue?
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:49 am
Only 5 days of antibiotics, thank goodness. I hate taking them. They are so over prescribed. I usually buy them, take them for a day or two and then just throw the rest out. I have a very healthy immune system and believe in an ounce of prevention going much further then finding a cure.

Yep... super glue. It works wonders. Just put on a little dab, close up the wound and wait for it to dry. Just be careful you don't glue your fingers to your skin. It works great for dry cracking skin around your finger nails. Seals it right up and gives it time to heal.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 11:41 am
wow. that or moisturizer, ha.
shouldn't quit antibiotics before going the whole course though - you'll develop a resistance. i am now resistant to 22 kinds of antibiotics - been through a few...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 11:49 am
Ditto on resistance. Don't take 'em at all, or take the whole run -- going halfway causes a bunch of problems.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 11:59 am
Agree with Dag and Soz.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 12:49 pm
I usually just don't take em and let my body do its work. Nothing beats a healthy immune system. I'm finishing up this round though, due to the fact that it is an open wound (plus my wife is freaking out about not taking them).

On a different note. I saw this NOVA special once about some scientists in Russia that use bacteria eating bacteria to treat wounds like this. They go to garbage dumps, sewers and other nasty places to find this stuff and then bring it back to the lab to grow cultures of it. Nothing was sterile there but it didn't matter because this stuff actually eats the bad bacteria that causes infections. They just swabbed some on the wounds and they healed faster then in comparison to wounds treated to antibiotics. Also, no resistance to the stuff like has been created by antibiotics.

Why isn't it here in the US, you ask? Its cheap. No money to be made in comparison to selling antibiotics.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 12:51 pm
jpinMilwaukee wrote:
Does anybody know if anti-biotics or vicodin dehydrate you?

I had the worst day yesterday. My finger hurt. My head hurt. Eyes were sensitive to light. Felt nauseous... I couldn't even look at food.

Vicodin can cause some nasty side effects. And usually the 3rd day of a wound hurts the worse. Your body comes out of shock and all...
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 12:53 pm
pain pills dry you up.
you will be constipated , dehydrated and full of sheet
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 12:54 pm
I watched a show where they put maggots in a very bad wound, let 'em eat the dead skin, and then they grow up and fly away.....

I don't know if I could have maggots under a bandage 24/7....
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 12:55 pm
leeches suck out blood poisons, clean wounds..

yucky
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 12:56 pm
worse then containing them with a bandage..
is listening to the smacking sounds of them moving around on your skin...
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 12:58 pm
They make noise???
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 01:24 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
pain pills dry you up.
you will be constipated , dehydrated and full of sheet

check, double check, triple check...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 02:31 pm
jp--

If you don't finish your course of antibiotics, some of your germs will survive. Great--you and your immune system have come to terms with them--but the rest of the world hasn't.

Further, the critters are now immune to the antibiotic

Because of antibiotic resistant germs and transcontinental travel and air pollution and dozens of other factors, open wounds are more and more likely to be infected with critters that present antibiotics can't kill.

Remember Cav?

Take the pills--all the pills.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 02:40 pm
jpinMilwaukee wrote:
I usually just don't take em and let my body do its work. Nothing beats a healthy immune system. I'm finishing up this round though, due to the fact that it is an open wound (plus my wife is freaking out about not taking them).

That's a good boy, jp. Every last one of 'em, you hear? Evil or Very Mad

Many years ago I worked in a micro lab at a hospital. We had a few nasty infections from construction/tool accidents. Nothing like a run-in with farm equipment, but nasty all the same. You don't want to mess with this one.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 02:43 pm
eat 1/2 cup of yogurt twice a day for 4 days AFTER the antibiotics. Boost your immune system, feel better, and replace those GOOD germs in your digestive system.
0 Replies