jp versus the belt sander... not for the faint of heart

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 01:15 pm
WARNING: GRAPHIC IMAGES CONTAINED IN THIS THREAD.

Children under the age of 18 should not enter unless accompanied by an adult.

Women who may be pregnant or become pregnant, people with heart conditions and/or intolerance for blood and gore should consult with a doctor before procceding any further or simply turn back now.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,609 • Replies: 90
No top replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 01:15 pm
I warned you.

This is your last chance to turn back.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 01:16 pm
http://www.arena2045.net/fritz/finger_1.jpg

http://www.arena2045.net/fritz/finger_2.jpg

http://www.arena2045.net/fritz/splatter_1.jpg

http://www.arena2045.net/fritz/splatter_2.jpg
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 01:17 pm
I've got a tough stomach, but ShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShocked wow. I hope the drugs are good...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 01:21 pm
What were you doing with the belt sander?

Is your keyboard skill impaired?

What happened in the ER?
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 01:38 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
What were you doing with the belt sander?

Sanding the end of a counter top that I was installing.

Noddy24 wrote:
Is your keyboard skill impaired?

Very.

Noddy24 wrote:
What happened in the ER?

Waited for a long time. Waited some more. Heard a young girl overjoyed that she had a mis-carriage.

Got to a room where I waited some more. Waited some more.

Listened to the nurses talk about lunch.

Listened to the nurses try to figure out what was wrong with the deaf and blind elderly non-english speaking hispanic woman.

Finally talked to a doctor.

Waited some more. Started pacing.

Got x-rays taken.

Waited some more.

Got wound irrigated and wrapped.

Finally left hospital.

Waiting for enormous hospital bill for hospital visit in which not much was accomplished.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 01:59 pm
Yowch.

Fortunately, God gives us ten fingers....

Is the nail gone, and if so is it expected to return?
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 02:03 pm
About half is gone. Not sure if I'll ever be seeing the rest of it again or not.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 02:04 pm
Should grow out, although it's like to be a tad thicker.

Dropped a rock on my big toe when I was little; the bugger grew back three time as thick.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 02:05 pm
Bone or joint damage, or just soft tissue?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 02:06 pm
Trying to figure if it missed the tendon.. looks like it did

says she who did a nice slice on my finger when cutting a pork roast some time ago..
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 02:09 pm
Aw guys, it isn't that bad....come on...weak stomach...ppppaaaahhh....

Bet it hurt like a sonofabitch though.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 02:14 pm
So far as I know, no bone, nerve or tendon damage. I'm keeping my (good) fingers crossed that it stays that way.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 02:19 pm
Hope the sander's OK...

Confused
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 02:23 pm
Thank you, jp, for the reminder to be extra careful the next time I use my belt sander.

Were you at least wearing eye protection? Must remember "shop safety" ....
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 02:27 pm
Yeah I had safety glasses on. I'm not really sure how it happened. I know I wasn't holding it in the right spot but I can't figure out how my finger ended up where it did.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 02:34 pm
Somebody should start a "stupid shop tricks" . I betcha we'd get some inetersting stories.
Its a minor flesh wound jp. The rewason I say that is because I didnt get that really weird feeling all the way down to my nads that I got from viewing bomb victims..

Did it come sliding back to you ? Im wondering how the accident happened by using a hand held belt sander. (It was a handheld belt sander?--Oh maybe it was one of the big sheet stationary sanders)

Wanna feel one in the nads? I know a guy who removed his finger tips tojust halfway down the nails in a jointer when the board he was jointing just wedged and his hands kept moving forward into the blade. The guy was one hell of a good guitarist and it wsnt his fretting hand.
The lesson on that one was NEVER TRY TO PLANE OFF MORE THAN 1/32" at a time. If he kept it at 1/32, he would have only removed his fingerprints (ha ha)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 02:36 pm
Ya know, there you are, all bleeding to death and the first thing you go for is a camera. Visual aids is not the first thing I would have thought of.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 02:40 pm
The most gruesome Home Handyman story I've ever heard is a guy who removed two fingers with a power saw....and he beagle ate the fingers.

I'm afraid most of the dogs I've owned would have had the same swift reaction to a carnivorous medical emergency.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 02:41 pm
farmerman wrote:

Its a minor flesh wound jp.

I think so too. My wife was freaking out an all I kept saying was, "It looks worse than it actually is." I'm expecting a bit of deformity but no long lasting damage.

farmerman wrote:
Did it come sliding back to you ? Im wondering how the accident happened by using a hand held belt sander. (It was a handheld belt sander?--Oh maybe it was one of the big sheet stationary sanders)

I don't know what happened. It was so fast I can't put it back together in my mind. I know I must have grabbed it thw wrong way or something because if my hand was where it was supposed to be it would have never happened.

farmerman wrote:
Wanna feel one in the nads? I know a guy who removed his finger tips tojust halfway down the nails in a jointer when the board he was jointing just wedged and his hands kept moving forward into the blade. The guy was one hell of a good guitarist and it wsnt his fretting hand.
The lesson on that one was NEVER TRY TO PLANE OFF MORE THAN 1/32" at a time. If he kept it at 1/32, he would have only removed his fingerprints (ha ha)

I know a guy who lost the tips of 4 fingers in a band saw. He didn't even know what happened until he looked down and saw them laying there. The pain hit him pretty fast after that.
0 Replies