What say we return some COMPETENCE to government

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 08:51 am
Its not a call to the religious to circle the wagons about a moral standard. NO, I just would like some good -old fashioned COMPETENCE returned to our government. We are seeing the results of "Governance by divisiveness" and weve been toying with a fascistic oligarchy with strong militaristic tendancies.
Whats wrong with competence? what happened to competence?
When one party gains too much control (Im asking), does the desire to perform at a high level just go away?
Am I missing something?

Where is James Buchanan when we need him?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,809 • Replies: 146
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 08:53 am
I'm with you, farmer.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 08:53 am
That will require a big sweep by a big broom and that broom is "us" collectively. It will sweep away a lot that will leave things clean but bare and I wonder is "we" are willing to step out of our comfort zone to do what must be done. We have one year before the next elections.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 09:00 am
Re: What say we return some COMPETENCE to government
farmerman wrote:
Its not a call to the religious to circle the wagons about a moral standard. NO, I just would like some good -old fashioned COMPETENCE returned to our government. We are seeing the results of "Governance by divisiveness" and weve been toying with a fascistic oligarchy with strong militaristic tendancies.
Whats wrong with competence? what happened to competence?
When one party gains too much control (Im asking), does the desire to perform at a high level just go away?
Am I missing something?

Where is James Buchanan when we need him?

When photo ops and political spin is more important than lives, we know what kind of government we have.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 09:13 am
Just sneaking in to wish America good luck. And I mean that in a heartfelt way. Bush, Cheney, Rove., etc. you know the gangstas names...it will be good to see them gone. Best of luck - and again I mean that without any hint of sarcasm/irony etc.

Personally I'll be glad when the pack of bastards have gone so I don't have to keep explaining quite straightforward posts.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 09:28 am
I would like a government that anticipates and prepares and not one that is blindsided, reactionary, and slow to its feet. There's just no denying anymore that our current government does almost nothing well. I realize that it has never done everything right, but geez, it sure has taken a turn for the worse. I've never seen so many screwups.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 09:31 am
James Buchanan competent?
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 12:13 pm
yep, i'd just love to have a government lead by people that i not only find unsuspicious, but actually trusted. and even better, a president that was inspirational for his american vision of the future, not his religious or associated hot button social views.

it's been a hell of a long time since i felt that way, and frankly, it's taken up way too much of my time trying to keep an eye on things.

i'm tryin' to have a life, here...
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 12:19 pm
Yes. I feel like I have to be ultra-vigilant. Like I'm in a bad place where I have to keep an eye on my back and my back pocket at all times. Or like the government is filled with used car salesman where catch phrases rule and you have to read between the lines and decipher true motivations. And knowing, completely and absolutely, that they don't give a **** about anyone but themselves.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 12:27 pm
What the hell are you talking about? We won the Iraq war in about a month, New Orleans will be rebuilt, and the economy is just humming right along.

Don't you people ever read Newsmax?
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 12:32 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Yes. I feel like I have to be ultra-vigilant. Like I'm in a bad place where I have to keep an eye on my back and my back pocket at all times. Or like the government is filled with used car salesman where catch phrases rule and you have to read between the lines and decipher true motivations. And knowing, completely and absolutely, that they don't give a **** about anyone but themselves.

Unfortunately, that pattern of governance is emerging over on our side of the pond. Politicians have learnt to use the media well, but what is totally beyond me is the fact that a very large number of the ordinary public actually get sucked in by their crap, and believe every word.

Is the modern westernised human becoming more gullible? Political tactics should be taught in every school, so that the adults of tomorrow can see through the self serving bullsh*t.

I am genuinely dismayed at what is happening, in both the USA and, to a lesser extent at THIS moment in time, Europe.

Frightening.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 01:56 pm
with any hope, eventually folks will remember the morality driven addage, "actions speak louder than words".
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 03:18 pm
I'm hoping Jeb will run in 2008.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 03:41 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:

why ?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 03:43 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

why ?

I had the same word on my lips before I scrolled down and saw your post. Laughing
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 03:47 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Unfortunately, that pattern of governance is emerging over on our side of the pond. Politicians have learnt to use the media well, but what is totally beyond me is the fact that a very large number of the ordinary public actually get sucked in by their crap, and believe every word.

Is the modern westernised human becoming more gullible? Political tactics should be taught in every school, so that the adults of tomorrow can see through the self serving bullsh*t.

I am genuinely dismayed at what is happening, in both the USA and, to a lesser extent at THIS moment in time, Europe.

Frightening.

I often wonder at this myself. I don't know, but i suspect that it is the product of seeing the world thorugh a television screen. Reality is no longer a concept which figures in the calculations of many people. Fame on the little screen makes people popular, and substance of a text, let alone a subtext, is just too difficult to bother with. And, of course, scare tactics are very effective, as has long been known. If you vote for the Greens, they'll take your cars from you. If you don't vote for us, the terrorists will bomb you every day. To understand what is being done to them, the electorate would have to read a great many books, and then read the newspapers every day, and try to make a considered judgment on the value of what has been reported. So much easier to turn on the telly and be informed of who is most popular right now, so they can root for the winning side and feel like a part of the crowd.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 03:48 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

why ?

So we'll have a government similar to the excellent one we have now. The problem with you liberals, is that you speak mostly to each other, and after you've stated the same wrong opinion enough times, you begin to regard it as universally accepted.

I think Bush could have done some things better, e.g. control of the borders and immigration, but, generally, I think he's done a great job. You can't blame FDR for being in charge when WW2 occurred. The fact that countless people died, billions were spent that might have been spent elsewhere, and it dragged on for years isn't evidence that FDR was an idiot, it was just the situation that generation was given to deal with.

Bush has done a great job, certainly better than your loser candidates would have done had they been elected.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 03:51 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

why ?

So we'll have a government similar to the excellent one we have now.

oh.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 05:18 pm
Ellpus,The genus Boobus americanus , does have some variants worldwide, Boobus brittanicus being one. These species are quite distinct with their protruding proboscid flaps. These are environmental adaptations from being led about by the nose. They are also quite crosseyed and dyslexic, being unable to comprehend daily news reports unless spoonfed by slow talking criers that provide pre digested news bytes on the news network for the " Mostly Challenged", Fox.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 05:30 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:

I like to dip peanut butter toast in tomato soup.
0 Replies