What say we return some COMPETENCE to government

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 03:56 pm
I just hope they dont thrust downwards, and skewer the brain.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 04:00 pm
Paulison was brought in from Miami Daed County where he was the Fire Chief. Maybe the message got through somehow tht cronies arent going to make you proud and respected when their own incompetence shows.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 05:37 pm
President Bush telling it as it is.

http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/j/f/hurricane_thebuckstops.jpg
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 05:48 pm
anywhere but his desk. Laughing
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 09:44 am
was that Harry Truman's sign? If so , Id like to make a copy in the same style
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 09:55 am
When it became apparent that relief was not getting to the affected areas, Bush said, "this is unacceptable," went there himself (more than once), and fired the head of FEMA. Yet the liberal interpretation is that the relief effort was imperfect because Bush is indifferent to the plight the average man. You people are living in a fantasyland, and it will result in us taking the White House again in 2008.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 10:01 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
When it became apparent that relief was not getting to the affected areas, Bush said, "this is unacceptable," went there himself (more than once), and fired the head of FEMA. Yet the liberal interpretation is that the relief effort was imperfect because Bush is indifferent to the plight the average man. You people are living in a fantasyland, and it will result in us taking the White House again in 2008.

Wow...talk about people who "live in fantasyland!!!!"
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 10:06 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Wow...talk about people who "live in fantasyland!!!!"

I have noticed that you don't seem either to present objections to your opponents' logic, or advance any of your own. Merely calling names proves nothing in debate. It doesn't hurt your argument, but you have to have an argument first.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 10:06 am
Brandon9000 wrote:

Well, I don't know if I embody the "liberal interpretation" but I believe most of us here are saying that the relief effort was imperfect because our current government is incompetent. Hence the thread title.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 10:20 am
Actually Brandon has pointed out an important, and demonstrable, fact of American political life since 1982. Republicans have gone from a minority party in both houses of Congress, and one which held the presidency for only 16 of the previous 50 years to one dominating both houses of the Congress and holding the Presidency for 15 of the last 23 years. All the while liberal screeching and histrionics have produced only the demise of the southern, labor, and 'progressive' coalition that once held them together.

Who inhabits fantasyland?

I haven't heard of a single admission of error or initiation of corrective action from any government agency in Louisiana. And yet these were the agencies responsible for land use decisions, public safety - including the maintenance of the levees - as well as the emergency planning, preparedness and decision-making. Despite their rather obvious lapses, both the Governor and the Mayor have been very quick to point fingers elsewhere. This is very much in keeping with Louisiana political traditions. Odd that we haven't heard such self-serving nonsense from Mississippi and Alabama.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 10:22 am
As the named author, I concur that competence was the issue.
Brandon, your "spin" on what actually happened was quite amusing. Last week the spin was "Its the fault of the state and locals" . Now with Brown gone, its suddenly become the entire idea of GWB to have fired him.The damage that was done to the city was mostly the result of inaction and bad leadership over the last number of years.
Then you start the name calling and follow that by accusing Frank of namecalling just because he merely repeted what your post said. Kinda weird logic there Brandon.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 10:24 am
PS, Brandon, lets get these folks out of trouble and fix New Orleans before you try to raise political capital.
Therell be plenty of time to play the blame game later.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 11:58 am
farmerman wrote:
As the named author, I concur that competence was the issue.
Brandon, your "spin" on what actually happened was quite amusing. Last week the spin was "Its the fault of the state and locals" . Now with Brown gone, its suddenly become the entire idea of GWB to have fired him.The damage that was done to the city was mostly the result of inaction and bad leadership over the last number of years.
Then you start the name calling and follow that by accusing Frank of namecalling just because he merely repeted what your post said. Kinda weird logic there Brandon.

Your history of who has been blamed is irrelevant to the question of who is at fault. GWB at a minumum concurred in having Brown removed when he failed to help the affected areas. Bush had stated publicly that the relief efforts were "unacceptable." Had you actually paid attention to what you read, you would have noticed that I accused Frank not of name calling, but of having no argument to accompany his name calling. My name calling was accompanied by an argument.

Bush publicly rejected the relief efforts as inadequate, went there, and relieved an agency head. The idea that the whole thing is Bush's fault and he doesn't care is in no way supported by facts. Why weren't the New Orleans levees made adequate over the past decades? I guess that was Bush's fault too. Face the fact that there is nothing Bush could do in any situation which wouldn't bring forth liberal rebukes.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 12:01 pm
farmerman wrote:
PS, Brandon, lets get these folks out of trouble and fix New Orleans before you try to raise political capital.
Therell be plenty of time to play the blame game later.

And what was the title of this thread? When you point the finger at someone, you can then hardly fault me for stating a contrary opinion. This is disappointing because I had thought that you, at least among the liberals, were capable of logical reasoning.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 12:04 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:

The only interpretation seems to be YOURS Brandon when you claim Bush FIRED the head of FEMA.. I would love to see your evidence of that. The news reports say Brown RESIGNED. Bush stated he had confidence in Brown.

Fantasyland would be your made up story about how Bush FIRED the head of FEMA.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 12:09 pm
according to gwb yesterday, he was unaware of all the details of brown's resignation.

plausible deniability ?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 12:17 pm
Plausible deniability exactly, except that Bush never really knows whether hes speaking out loud or not.

Brandon, we will probably have a reasonable discussion again sometime, just not here. Im not going to be baited, even if you are a master .
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 12:20 pm
parados wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

The only interpretation seems to be YOURS Brandon when you claim Bush FIRED the head of FEMA.. I would love to see your evidence of that. The news reports say Brown RESIGNED. Bush stated he had confidence in Brown.

Fantasyland would be your made up story about how Bush FIRED the head of FEMA.

The replacement of FEMA with Homeland Security as being in charge of the response to Katrina could not have been done without the president's approval. As for whether Brown resigned for his own reasons or because asked to, it is unknowable at present, but either is a reasonable possibility. The idea that every bad thing that happens to America is Bush's fault is an absurd fantasy.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 12:21 pm
farmerman wrote:
Brandon, we will probably have a reasonable discussion again sometime, just not here. Im not going to be baited, even if you are a master .

Funny.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 12:21 pm
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/09/20050902-2.html

Bush speech on Sept 2.

Quote:
Again, I want to thank you all for -- and, Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job. The FEMA Director is working 24 -- (applause) -- they're working 24 hours a day.

Sept 7th Press briefing - http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/09/20050907-2.html#g

Quote:
MR. McCLELLAN: I've made it very clear -- and the President spoke about them last week, and his comments stand, in terms of what he has said about the great work that they have been doing round-the-clock, 24 hours a day, to help people on the ground. There are some in this room that want to continue to engage in that. We're going to continue to focus on solving problems and getting help to people on the ground.

If you all want to continue to engage in that, that's fine. But we appreciate the efforts of Secretary Chertoff, Undersecretary Brown, and all the others at FEMA and at the state and local level that are working round-the-clock to help the people in the region.

Thank you.

From the Sept 9th Press briefing..

Quote:
Q Has Mike Brown resigned?

MR. McCLELLAN: I'm sorry?

Q Has Mike Brown resigned?

MR. McCLELLAN: No.

Q Has the President asked for his resignation today?

MR. McCLELLAN: No.

Q Does the President have full faith and confidence in Mike Brown?

MR. McCLELLAN: Again, what we are continuing to do is to support those in the region who are carrying out the operational activities. We continue to appreciate the work of all those who have been working round-the-clock.

As I just mentioned, I think what you need to do is look at the overall situation. There are phases to this response effort, and we've been in immediate needs phase for some time here now, for just over a week now, focusing on the life-saving and life-sustaining missions. And Secretary Chertoff has continued to visit the region, continued to assess things. The President has continued to assess things. And Secretary Chertoff is the one who is overseeing all the operational aspects. And so he's the one who's making all the decisions about how to allocate resources and to allocate people. And we support the decisions that he makes.

Q But you're not answering the question, which is, does the President have confidence in Mike Brown?

MR. McCLELLAN: No, I think that's the way to address the overall question. We appreciate all those who are working round-the-clock, and that's the way I would answer it.
0 Replies