What say we return some COMPETENCE to government

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 12:22 pm
Hey...Bush himself is now acknowledging that it was his fault.

He accepts "full responsibility." (Whatever that means.)
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 12:28 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
parados wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
When it became apparent that relief was not getting to the affected areas, Bush said, "this is unacceptable," went there himself (more than once), and fired the head of FEMA. Yet the liberal interpretation is that the relief effort was imperfect because Bush is indifferent to the plight the average man. You people are living in a fantasyland, and it will result in us taking the White House again in 2008.

The only interpretation seems to be YOURS Brandon when you claim Bush FIRED the head of FEMA.. I would love to see your evidence of that. The news reports say Brown RESIGNED. Bush stated he had confidence in Brown.

Fantasyland would be your made up story about how Bush FIRED the head of FEMA.

The replacement of FEMA with Homeland Security as being in charge of the response to Katrina could not have been done without the president's approval. As for whether Brown resigned for his own reasons or because asked to, it is unknowable at present, but either is a reasonable possibility. The idea that every bad thing that happens to America is Bush's fault is an absurd fantasy.

FEMA is a PART of HOMELAND SECURITY. They didn't replace it. FEMA answers to HOMELAND SECURITY. HOMELAND SECURITY IS IN CHARGE OF FEMA. The law passed by Congress that created HOMELAND SECURITY put HOMELAND SECURITY in charge of all natural disasters. This was not a decision just made by Bush. More fantasy from you Brandon. FEMA did NOT stop working on the response to Katrina. When SPECIFICALLY asked if Brown did not have the confidince of the President the WH REFUSED to say that. Your argument about "firing" is made up fantasy Brandon. Wishful thinking to present some fact that Bush cares because he MIGHT have done something but you can't show us what it is.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 02:04 pm
parados wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
parados wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
When it became apparent that relief was not getting to the affected areas, Bush said, "this is unacceptable," went there himself (more than once), and fired the head of FEMA. Yet the liberal interpretation is that the relief effort was imperfect because Bush is indifferent to the plight the average man. You people are living in a fantasyland, and it will result in us taking the White House again in 2008.

The only interpretation seems to be YOURS Brandon when you claim Bush FIRED the head of FEMA.. I would love to see your evidence of that. The news reports say Brown RESIGNED. Bush stated he had confidence in Brown.

Fantasyland would be your made up story about how Bush FIRED the head of FEMA.

The replacement of FEMA with Homeland Security as being in charge of the response to Katrina could not have been done without the president's approval. As for whether Brown resigned for his own reasons or because asked to, it is unknowable at present, but either is a reasonable possibility. The idea that every bad thing that happens to America is Bush's fault is an absurd fantasy.

FEMA is a PART of HOMELAND SECURITY. They didn't replace it. FEMA answers to HOMELAND SECURITY. HOMELAND SECURITY IS IN CHARGE OF FEMA. The law passed by Congress that created HOMELAND SECURITY put HOMELAND SECURITY in charge of all natural disasters. This was not a decision just made by Bush. More fantasy from you Brandon. FEMA did NOT stop working on the response to Katrina. When SPECIFICALLY asked if Brown did not have the confidince of the President the WH REFUSED to say that. Your argument about "firing" is made up fantasy Brandon. Wishful thinking to present some fact that Bush cares because he MIGHT have done something but you can't show us what it is.

It's a matter of public record that Brown was relieved from Katrina duties with the president's explicit permission:

Quote:
But it fact, just hours before, in a meeting in the Oval Office, Mr. Brown's fate had been all but sealed. Michael Chertoff, the onetime judge who has told friends he was shocked by the state of the Department of Homeland Security, which he inherited earlier this year, told Mr. Bush and the White House chief of staff, Andrew H. Card Jr., that he wanted to remove Mr. Brown from the day-to-day management of the Hurricane Katrina relief effort, although he would remain the head of FEMA.

The assignments of officials below cabinet level do not usually require consultation with the president, but these were highly unusual circumstances.

NY Times
I have no way of knowing everything that the president did or didn't do. Rather it is the duty of those who accuse him of personal responsibility to provide evidence of it. I do know that early on, the president publicly referred to the Katrina relief as "unacceptable," that he has more than once toured the affected areas, and that he was involved in the replacement of the agency chief who had been in charge. These public domain events are not consistent with the idea of administration apathy or white wash.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 02:05 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:

He did not acknowledge that it was his fault. Like a real leader, he took responsibility because it happened on his watch.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 02:47 pm
Farmerman

"The sign "The Buck Stops Here" that was on President Truman's desk in his White House office was made in the Federal Reformatory at El Reno, Oklahoma. Fred M. Canfil, then United States Marshal for the Western District of Missouri and a friend of Mr. Truman, saw a similar sign while visiting the Reformatory and asked the Warden if a sign like it could be made for President Truman. The sign was made and mailed to President on October 2, 1945."
From: Mitford M. Mathews, ed., A Dictionary of Americanisms on Historical Principles (Chicago, University of Chicago Press, 1951), I, pages 198-199.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/43/messages/99.html

I think this may be a picture of it but I'm not positive.

http://www.trumanlibrary.org/whistlestop/bp/bp6.jpg
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 03:01 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

He did not acknowledge that it was his fault. Like a real leader, he took responsibility because it happened on his watch.

Yeah...that is the cowardly way of saying "It was my fault."

And are you saying that he is pretending that he is a "real leader?"
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 05:59 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:

Yeah...that is the cowardly way of saying "It was my fault."

And are you saying that he is pretending that he is a "real leader?"

Seems to me Frank that you are leading with your preconceived opinion of Bush, and not the facts of the matter at hand. I have no issue with your opinion or right to hold it. However, Bush's acknowledgement of responsibility and accountability is far more than either the Governor of Loiusiana or the Mayor of New Orleans have done on matters far closer to their own core responsibilities.

The silence of those who have consistently opposed Bush on the matter of State and City responsibility in this matter is amazingly complete. This certainly pegs my phoneyometer - and it should ring false to any reasonable observer.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 06:18 pm
I think that his admission was a welcome first step in this. As a kid in the 60's I remember my Dad being impressed with Kennedy's speech about taking responsibility and blame for the Bay of Pigs. Some times not running from the obvious is what we want to hear.

YOUre wrong about the mayor of Nawlins , he was grabbing blame in his talks last week , and he was blaming the governor even moreso.

Bush has made, probably, the savviest move of his stumbling presidency. I can find no fault with his shouldering the blame.

I would like to think that he was reading some of our posts herein.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 06:21 pm
sorry farmermsn, this is about nothing more than the GOP going into code red and "Save our seats in 2006" mode.

To think bush actually feels or accepts any blame is way to dumb for the likes of you.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 06:25 pm
I don't know, I give him a half a credit for owning it, for once. I do think that I've seen a look on his face at times where he seems to be thinking "holy ****, I'm president, I'm supposed to do something!" It makes me see him as human, and I think he's not beyond feeling. Especially if he's been down there to see it with his own eyes.

But that's probably just because Karl's been out of the office. Just wait until he comes back.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 06:28 pm
Im a sad New Orleaner. My mission here has only to do with saving my adopted city through a rising tide of eptness.

Whatever it takes to fix this mess bear, I dont care if Satan himself has the checkbook. I think that, with your 2006 theory correctly in mind, New Orleans will be difficult to drop from the political radar hereout. Itll be a rally call from Pa,where Rick "Do what I say not what I do" Santorum, is in the run of his life, To Congressional seats in states waaay in the heart of Dixie.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 06:28 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
I don't know, I give him a half a credit for owning it, for once. I do think that I've seen a look on his face at times where he seems to be thinking "holy ****, I'm president, I'm supposed to do something!" It makes me see him as human, and I think he's not beyond feeling. Especially if he's been down there to see it with his own eyes.

But that's probably just because Karl's been out of the office. Just wait until he comes back.

that's the entire strtegy freeduck, because these scumbags know they can play on the basically decent feelings of people and get the benefit of the doubt. At some point you have to recognize a predator for what it is , and realize being predatory is the only thing in its' nature.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 06:30 pm
farmerman wrote:
Im a sad New Orleaner. My mission here has only to do with saving my adopted city through a riing tide of eptness.

Whatever it takes to fix this mess bearI dont care if Satan himself has the checkbook. I think that, with your 2006 theory in mind, New Orleans will be difficult to drop from the political radar hereout. Itll be a rally call from Pa,where Rick "Do what I say not what I do" Santorum, is in the run of his life, To Congressional seats in states waaay in the heart of Dixie.

I agree with you there farmerman my friend, just don't lose sight of your very astute observation about who has the checkbook.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 09:44 pm
Piffka wrote:
James Buchanan competent?

Kudos
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 05:35 pm
mAybe, incompetent is too strong. After I see that hes done away with Davis Bacon and has showed work to only hisw ass kissing buddies on a no bid basis. We are being mobbed up . Hes more like Harding than Buchanan.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 09:32 pm
Bush was asked once again about his opinion of Roe Vs. Wade.

He stated he wasn't concerned how they evacuate New Orleans.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 09:52 am
It is interesting to observe how the viscerally motivated political critics of the political administration will sieze on any action by the Federal government to speed the delivery of back up services to the stricken areas as more fodder for their continued criticism.

The Feds have temporarily suspended some of the impedimenta with which they burden procurements to speed up the process; small business set aside programs, Davis Bacon minimum wage determinations and certifications, competition requirements for new contracts and individual task orders -- all to get competent contractors in the field in a matter of days instead of the months usually required.

Their reward is they are criticized for penalizing small businesses & workers and rewarding the big companies.

Unfortunately the compulsive critics do not accept responsibility for the effects the available alternatives will have on the process in the real world.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:18 am
God's answer is to send a hurricane directly towards Bush's ranch.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 04:08 pm
georgeob. Your argument would mean something if the only contractors werent those of the GOP voter base.

The HAlliburton contract and those of Brown and Root and Shaw were chosen as simple "patronage" . What other reasons? Halliburton is hardly the most qualified to reconstruct NO, neither is Brown and Root, or Shaw.
As a small contractor, Im now being asked to respond to a geotecnical RFP right here and am being asked to comply with all FARR requirements and noone is relaxing anything at the next lower levels and all the general boiler plate is still there.

Halliburton got a real "sweethert" deal. Is this fascism? maybe not yet, but the admin has been revealing its spots and if you wish to discount this as BAU then we live in different worlds .
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 06:24 pm
Well we got some sole source work from NOAA and the Mobile District. Perhaps they know I'm a Republican.

My experience has been that those companies with a track record of getting the work done well, and with the ready resources available to mobilize quickly are the ones that get the contracts. Those who don't make the cut complain about unfair favoritism.

Halliburton bought Brown & Root some years ago. Shaw bought Stone & Webster and major portions of IT. Both of these companies are dominant players in the engineering construction marketplace, particularly on the Gulf Coast. That the government would contract with them is no more surprising than that it buys trucks from General Motors or aircraft from Boeing.
0 Replies