Good Grief, Aren't there any Moderates here?

nimh

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 04:20 pm
Lash wrote:
Anyway. I think you lefties, nimh, are so far left, you find it a bit too easy to equate people with some of my views with extreme rightism.

LOL, its not all that many moons ago that you were still praising me as a reasoned, considerate, voice - when I had to remind you that we didnt actually agree on anything. That soon changed after I disagreed with you too stridently a coupla times ... and no, I didnt change. I still pretty much hold the same opinions as a coupla years ago.

Anyway, yes I can see how the opinions you specify would make you seem open-minded in your own community. What can I say, I'm from somewhere else. In Holland, you'd be off-the-scale right, distinctly to the right of any of the mainstream right-wing parties. Would go for most if not all of Western Europe, too.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 05:36 pm
So, like, there are idiots to the left of me.
And there are idiots to the right of me.
And I despise them equally.
And moderates, apparently, don't hold strong views, so I can't be a moderate.

I'm thinking it's not a line or a circle or a loop, but maybe a spiral.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 05:44 pm
when ehBeth posts I usually think -Mobius loop.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 05:47 pm
Clowns to the left of me
Jokers to the right
Here i am, stuck in the middle with you . . .

This thread should be retitled LM's ego trip . . .

Hey Miss Girl, let's you-me go fer a walk . . .
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 05:49 pm
Or just a cute li'l Mobius loopy!

I do not think moderates=not strong views at all, I think that was a canard started by Finn when he had his li'l episode.

Moderate can simply mean not strongly right or left, for example - but one can hold one's moderate views passionately.

I, for instance, am passionately against fundamentalism - this makes me immoderate in my feelings, but does not make me immoderate in my actual beliefs.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 05:49 pm
I've always aspired to represent the symbol for recycled products. Confused
0 Replies

lastmoderate

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 06:12 pm
Setanta wrote:
Clowns to the left of me
Jokers to the right
Here i am, stuck in the middle with you . . .

This thread should be retitled LM's ego trip . . .

Hey Miss Girl, let's you-me go fer a walk . . .

Ego Trip? Laughing
0 Replies

lastmoderate

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 06:13 pm
dlowan wrote:
Or just a cute li'l Mobius loopy!

I do not think moderates=not strong views at all, I think that was a canard started by Finn when he had his li'l episode.

Moderate can simply mean not strongly right or left, for example - but one can hold one's moderate views passionately.

I, for instance, am passionately against fundamentalism - this makes me immoderate in my feelings, but does not make me immoderate in my actual beliefs.

By Jove, you've got it!!
0 Replies

lastmoderate

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 06:14 pm
-Mobius loop. ??
0 Replies

lastmoderate

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 06:24 pm
dyslexia wrote:
when ehBeth posts I usually think -Mobius loop.

Here ya go, here's something for you to play with.

http://www.exo.net/~pauld/activities/mobius/MobiusArticle.html
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 06:55 pm
nimh wrote:
Lash wrote:
Anyway. I think you lefties, nimh, are so far left, you find it a bit too easy to equate people with some of my views with extreme rightism.

LOL, its not all that many moons ago that you were still praising me as a reasoned, considerate, voice - when I had to remind you that we didnt actually agree on anything. That soon changed after I disagreed with you too stridently a coupla times ... and no, I didnt change. I still pretty much hold the same opinions as a coupla years ago.
Quote:
It was not that many moons ago that you were a reasoned, considerate voice. I wouldn't say you're no longer considerate, but if you don't think you've changed, you are mistaken. You may have just started sharing more openly the views you've always had--but I and others have noted a distinct change in the nimh of yore.

Anyway, yes I can see how the opinions you specify would make you seem open-minded in your own community. What can I say, I'm from somewhere else. In Holland, you'd be off-the-scale right, distinctly to the right of any of the mainstream right-wing parties. Would go for most if not all of Western Europe, too.
Quote:
And, that was my point. You seem a little Eurocentric in who is left and righ. There are other vantage points, which have me more centrist that you.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 07:24 pm
The middle is the new left.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 08:16 pm
Ya know, osso - you make perfect sense in person.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 08:28 pm
Thank you, Roger. Get me outta here..
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 08:36 pm
Come to New Mexico. We'll chat.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 08:43 pm
OK.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 04:21 am
Lash wrote:
You seem a little Eurocentric in who is left and righ. There are other vantage points, which have me more centrist that you.

Where in the world except for America? Seriously. Can you name, say, three other countries in the world where the people would generally call you a centrist?

Europe is not any more left-oriented than most of Asia, Africa or Latin-America. The opposite, if anything. Only major country in the world I can think of where you'd be more "centrist" than me is America - and I dont even lay any claim to being centrist, myself. So the assertion of etnocentrism is a bit of a boomerang, here.

Lash wrote:
but I and others have noted a distinct change in the nimh of yore.

I think you can leave the "and others" bit out of there. Doublecheck with Georgeob1 for example. Personal grudge is more like it (you and Fox, probably).
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 05:39 am
I have a wee problem with the title of this thread. Every time I come across it while doing a search, I read it as: Good grief, aren't there any moderators here? And each time I read that, I go: "Huh? Of course there are!"
It's driving me crazy, I must have gone down that same path at least 20 times now. Rolling Eyes :wink:
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 05:47 am
msolga wrote:
I have a wee problem with the title of this thread. Every time I come across it while doing a search, I read it as: Good grief, aren't there any moderators here? And each time I read that, I go: "Huh? Of course there are!"
It's driving me crazy, I must have gone down that same path at least 20 times now.

You ain't the only one (though I've traveled into this thread 28 times.)

As for moderates, what exactly is a moderate? Seems to me it would vary from one place to another. A big city moderate might well be thought of as whacko liberal in the boondocks. A boondocks liberal could be considered to be a far to the right conservative in the big city.

Dang, I hate labels.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 07:27 am
Fer sure.
0 Replies