Good Grief, Aren't there any Moderates here?

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 09:45 am
You're right, goodfielder. That's precisely why we humans label things in general (to avoid having to think), and politics is no different. The logical consequence, of course, is that if I'm conservative therefore I'm against that and for this, then if you disagree with me on that or this you must be the opposite -- liberal.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 03:49 pm
pretty tired of labels... assigning them and taking them on seems to only get in the way at this point.

oddly, i started thinking about this the other day when i tossed a disc full of mp3s into the gizmo and was presented with the old johnny cash song, "a boy named sue".
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 05:45 pm
Now there's a classic.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 05:56 pm
Isn't there a dog named Sue, too?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 05:57 pm
There's certainly a wabbit whose name is Mudd.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 06:00 pm
oh - so your name is Pooh, then, not Sue?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 06:01 pm
Well, i don't want to be immodest, but my friends often call me the wabbit slayer . . .
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 06:12 pm
Setanta wrote:
Well, i don't want to be immodest, but my friends often call me the wabbit slayer . . .

"horror...the horror.."

http://www.geocities.com/aaronbcaldwell/Apocalypse02.jpg
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 06:15 pm
In the dead of night
A shimmewin' wight
Gweem of a bwade
And dah devew was paid
When dah axe comes down
A chiwin' sound
get's dah head
Anothaw wabbit's dead
I'm a wabbit swayer
A guitaw pwayaw
With a nasty habbit

Kill dah wabbit!!! (hah hah hah)
AhhhaahooOhhh
Be vewy vewy qwiet!
I'm wookin' fo wabbits...

I'm a mean mistweetah
A wabbit feastah
And I pwedict
A bwoody Eastaw
A scuwowing shadow
And dah shadow was dis wabbit
And dah night aiwah echoes
Kill dah wabbit!!!
Kill dah wabbit!!!
Kill dah wabbit!!!
Kill dah wabbit!!!
Kill dah wabbit!!!
Kill dah wabbit!!!
Kill dah wabbit!!!
Kill dah wabbit!!!
Ohhhh...and dayah won't be any mow wabbits awound
No mow Wodgah Wabbit
No mow Petah Wabbit
And no mow Pwayboy Bunny Wabbits!
Ah ha ha ha ha
Be vewy vewy cawhafo . . .
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 06:28 pm
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

same disc had that one on it too !!
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 10:50 pm
dlowan wrote:
Isn't there a dog named Sue, too?

I think it was Boo as in "me and you and a dog name Boo..." can't think of the title of the song or the singer but it was one of those inoffensive little songs that makes it through the clash of metal and guitars now and again.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 10:52 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Now there's a classic.

Great line in it '"....the mud and the blood and the beer." Every time I hear that I get all nostalgic and misty-eyed Very Happy
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 11:36 pm
dlowan wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Or just a cute li'l Mobius loopy!

I do not think moderates=not strong views at all, I think that was a canard started by Finn when he had his li'l episode.

Moderate can simply mean not strongly right or left, for example - but one can hold one's moderate views passionately.

I, for instance, am passionately against fundamentalism - this makes me immoderate in my feelings, but does not make me immoderate in my actual beliefs.

Had his "little episode?"

What does that mean?

As for Finn's "canard," I am delighted to find that I am such an important presence as to generate a canard, and especially one which may have followed from a statement that I made; beginning with "It seems to me..."
Damn! Does this make me a member of the A2K pantheon?

Certainly someone who describes him or herself as a Moderate can have passionate views, however he or she is not being moderate when such views are espoused.

How desperate some are to retain the mantle of Moderate.

Dlown is, by her own admission, passionately against fundamentalism; and yet she clings to the self-descriptor of Moderate.

One cannot be passionate and moderate at the same time.

The reconciliation of Immoderate feelings with moderate beliefs is nonsensical and self-indulgent.

I meant your ridiculous tantrum.

When you stop having them, I shall listen to you on moderation - in anything.

Nonsense - one's bel;iefs may be moderate on the political spectrum, but be held passionately.

I don't know what you mean by ridiculous tantrum, but, in any case, I am not laying claim to be moderate.

Laying claim to being a Moderate is a way that people attempt to lay claim to some measure of esteem, largely because they believe that the center of the spectrum is somehow, inarguably, the right place to be.

It is, if your goal is keep things moving. Not a bad goal, but hardly one that gives rise to passion.

Plain is not so bad a thing to be either.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 12:51 am
I think you are confusing two meanings of moderate.

My own sense is that things are so far to the right in our two countries that moderate used, in this instance, in the sense of meaning neither conspicuously left nor right politically, as this is defined outside the US, is currently a position that represents movement from the current status quo.

Hey - for all I know, you are only moderately plain.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 11:39 am
goodfielder wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
Now there's a classic.

Great line in it '"....the mud and the blood and the beer." Every time I hear that I get all nostalgic and misty-eyed Very Happy

yeah, reeeally... that one used to set my pop to a manly gigglin'.. probably reminded him of the good old days in the navy. Laughing
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 09:31 pm
dlowan wrote:
I think you are confusing two meanings of moderate.

My own sense is that things are so far to the right in our two countries that moderate used, in this instance, in the sense of meaning neither conspicuously left nor right politically, as this is defined outside the US, is currently a position that represents movement from the current status quo.

Hey - for all I know, you are only moderately plain.

Perhaps I am simply not accepting your definition of moderate, but then I'm not certain that I follow your argument.

What is the status quo in our countries? That things are so far to the right, or that things are either conspicuously left or right?

In any case, movement from the status quo is hardly a characteristic of moderation.

I'm not as well versed in Australian politics as, undoubtedly, you are, but in the US, most polls show a fairly even split between opinions that one might describe as left or right. It seems to me that the US is leaning to the right, but hardly in such a way that might support the claim that things are so far to the right.

It's interesting. Liberals are quick to tell us that the country remains predominantly liberal, and that if not for one or two crooked polling places in Ohio, John Kerry would be in the White House. At the same time, they shriek like so many Cassandras about how the nation is one step away from fascism. I'm puzzled as to how these two views can be reconciled.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 11:14 pm
good question, finn.

we probably watch too much cable news could be the answer.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 05:54 pm
"Moderate" could be best judged by possessing views from a wide swath that dips into the conservative and liberal realms.

You should not be able to predict with pinpoint accuracy where a moderate will come down on an issue.

I think we have three or four moderates here.

I am one.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 06:01 pm
Lash wrote:
"Moderate" could be best judged by possessing views from a wide swath that dips into the conservative and liberal realms.

You should not be able to predict with pinpoint accuracy where a moderate will come down on an issue.

I think we have three or four moderates here.

I am one.

Then in that case...so am I. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 06:05 pm
Me too. I wonder who the other one could be?
0 Replies