Good Grief, Aren't there any Moderates here?

Lash

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 03:33 pm
Agreed.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 03:36 pm
But not for long....
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 03:37 pm
What do you foresee?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 03:44 pm
I have a cyclical view of history....
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 03:48 pm
Sounds like your view might go well with Lash's sexy gyration-y lap dance-like handshakes.

It's all circular. What goes around comes around.

Not sure I need to be gyratin' at my age, though.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 04:03 pm
Er - that would be a firm no. I think.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 05:41 pm
squinney wrote:
Sounds like your view might go well with Lash's sexy gyration-y lap dance-like handshakes.

It's all circular. What goes around comes around.

Not sure I need to be gyratin' at my age, though.
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 10:17 pm
dlowan wrote:
Or just a cute li'l Mobius loopy!

I do not think moderates=not strong views at all, I think that was a canard started by Finn when he had his li'l episode.

Moderate can simply mean not strongly right or left, for example - but one can hold one's moderate views passionately.

I, for instance, am passionately against fundamentalism - this makes me immoderate in my feelings, but does not make me immoderate in my actual beliefs.

Had his "little episode?"

What does that mean?

As for Finn's "canard," I am delighted to find that I am such an important presence as to generate a canard, and especially one which may have followed from a statement that I made; beginning with "It seems to me..."
Damn! Does this make me a member of the A2K pantheon?

Certainly someone who describes him or herself as a Moderate can have passionate views, however he or she is not being moderate when such views are espoused.

How desperate some are to retain the mantle of Moderate.

Dlown is, by her own admission, passionately against fundamentalism; and yet she clings to the self-descriptor of Moderate.

One cannot be passionate and moderate at the same time.

The reconciliation of Immoderate feelings with moderate beliefs is nonsensical and self-indulgent.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 10:31 pm
Sorry to disagree, Finn, but I'm a prime example of someone who holds moderate political views and feels strongly that some of the more radical beliefs are pure idiocy.

But thanks for your input.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 10:50 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Sorry to disagree, Finn, but I'm a prime example of someone who holds moderate political views and feels strongly that some of the more radical beliefs are pure idiocy.

But thanks for your input.

Feeling strongly that strong beliefs are immoderate is not evidence of passionate belief.

A person sitting on the middle of the fence may feel very strongly that he does not want to fall to either side, but he remains a straddler.

Of course, if you find yourself strongly feeling that radical beliefs of one end of the spectrum or the other is particularly idiotic, then you are not a Moderate at all.

Moderation = compromise.

The problem that so many people on this thread seem to have is that they want to describe themselves as a Moderate, and yet they are uncomfortable about what that actually means.

You, and others, should ask yourselves why it is so important that you be classified as a Moderate? So many of you bemoan labeling of Liberals and Conservatives, and yet you run to the label of Moderate.

The reason, I believe, is that for so many of you, Moderate = Rational.

It does not.

Compromise is a practical (and important) virtual, but it is not a means to arrive at the Truth.

Moderates on A2K visit for two or three threads and then move on. Anyone who engages with regularity is foolish to consider him or herself as a Moderate.

Moderate want to get by. As I have said before, thank God for Moderates or we would never get by, but it is foolish to suggest that Moderate can be passionate advocates of anything other than moderation.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 10:56 pm
Finn
Finn, I find your argument very similar to Frank Apsia's regarding atheists vs agnostics.

You must stop sitting at Frank's knee being brainwashed by the great Guru.

BBB :wink:
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 10:56 pm
Well Finn, you're just plain wrong.

Thanks for playing.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 11:05 pm
Re: Finn
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Finn, I find your argument very similar to Frank Apsia's regarding atheists vs agnostics.

Do you? Do I care? Cool

You must stop sitting at Frank's knee being brainwashed by the great Guru.

BBB :wink:
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 11:07 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Well Finn, you're just plain wrong.

Damn! I was so hoping that you would think I was plain right.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 01:32 am
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Or just a cute li'l Mobius loopy!

I do not think moderates=not strong views at all, I think that was a canard started by Finn when he had his li'l episode.

Moderate can simply mean not strongly right or left, for example - but one can hold one's moderate views passionately.

I, for instance, am passionately against fundamentalism - this makes me immoderate in my feelings, but does not make me immoderate in my actual beliefs.

Had his "little episode?"

What does that mean?

As for Finn's "canard," I am delighted to find that I am such an important presence as to generate a canard, and especially one which may have followed from a statement that I made; beginning with "It seems to me..."
Damn! Does this make me a member of the A2K pantheon?

Certainly someone who describes him or herself as a Moderate can have passionate views, however he or she is not being moderate when such views are espoused.

How desperate some are to retain the mantle of Moderate.

Dlown is, by her own admission, passionately against fundamentalism; and yet she clings to the self-descriptor of Moderate.

One cannot be passionate and moderate at the same time.

The reconciliation of Immoderate feelings with moderate beliefs is nonsensical and self-indulgent.

I meant your ridiculous tantrum.

When you stop having them, I shall listen to you on moderation - in anything.

Nonsense - one's bel;iefs may be moderate on the political spectrum, but be held passionately.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 01:32 am
I think you're just plain.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 02:24 am
I dont know where I fit.
I have taken those tests to determine where I am politically,and they say I am a libertarian.
I will admit that in some things (national security,crime and punishment,illegal immigration) that I am slightly to the right of Attila the Hun.
But there are other things that I am slightly to the left of Ted Kennedy about.

I do consider myself a conservative,but it really depends on the issue.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 03:58 am
mysteryman wrote:
I dont know where I fit.
I have taken those tests to determine where I am politically,and they say I am a libertarian.

Take a libertarian devised test...and I can just about guarantee you will test out as a libertarian.

Quote:

I will admit that in some things (national security,crime and punishment,illegal immigration) that I am slightly to the right of Attila the Hun.
But there are other things that I am slightly to the left of Ted Kennedy about.

I prefer to state things this way:

On a continuum with extreme liberalism at 1 and extreme conservatism at 10...I can be found at point "P."

Quote:
I do consider myself a conservative,but it really depends on the issue.

We all have our problems. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 06:14 am
I wonder if self-imposed or externally imposed labels like that are used to avoid thinking. I remember some years ago reading where someone suggested that chanting political slogans was useful because it avoided having to think about the issues. So it is with labelling. I wonder if it's handy to simply spout the party line rather than work through the issues even if it cripples thought.

Sort of - I'm a conservative therefore I am against the welfare state (regardless of actual need) and at the other end - I am a liberal therefore I support the welfare state (despite evidence which suggests it may inhibit people from doing better for themselves.

If we adopt or accept a label then we must protect our shibboleths.

I'm guilty of it so don't think I'm letting myself out of this (getting in early in the hope I can get a reduced sentence though Very Happy )
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 07:32 am
We'll let you out on time served, goodfielder. Now, repent and do better. Very Happy

I think you have a valid point.
0 Replies