Katrina-Bush and the political questions begin

sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 10:49 am
Momma Angel wrote:
Personally, I believe that both sides put their spin on things. That's a given in politics.

But, as I have said before, I live here in Louisiana and straight from some evacuees' mouths has come information backing up some of the Bush supporters claims, as well as the non-Bush supporters' claims.

I think that no matter what information comes out, no matter which side (supporter/non-supporter) is proven to be more correct in their interpretations, it isn't really going to matter. Spin is just that, spin.

Except when it's fact.

Gov. Kathleen Babineaux Blanco declared an emergency on August 26th. Not spin, fact.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 10:57 am
He's the president of our nation, it's a national disaster, it wasn't handled correctly. He must shoulder at least some of the blame. Case closed.

I realize that the Bush supporters are used to taking the circuitous route around all signs of logic and common sense in order to get to the conclusion least damaging to their precious leader, but how hard is it to connect the dots here!?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 10:58 am
Momma Angel wrote:
Hello Tico! How are you doing? So great to see you! Thanx so much for posting this. It may not be the exact words of what I posted but it sure seems to me it backed it up pretty well.

I found it ironic, no actually, I find it funny, that the non-supporters of Bush will be very outspoken in how they feel about him and how the suppeorts of Bush are just plain wrong in their support of him.

Now, it looks like the thing that the non-supporters have been complaining about the most (i.e., it's largely, mostly, etc. the President's fault) just doesn'thave the validity the non-supporters thinks it did. Now, instead of a hmmm, let me reassess the situation, we get what?

Hi, MA. This catastrophe will be a learning experience for everyone involved in the emergency management arena. The disaster relief plans made following 9/11 haven't really been tested until now. Obviously said plans need work, and it appears the interfacing between State and Federal government needs vast improvement. While the federal government's response needs improvement, it appears at this early stage that there really were no good plans for a disaster of this level at the local and state levels, even though there had been talk about its possibility for years.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 11:00 am
Tico Wrote:

Quote:
Hi, MA. This catastrophe will be a learning experience for everyone involved in the emergency management arena. The disaster relief plans made following 9/11 haven't really been tested until now. Obviously said plans need work, and it appears the interfacing between State and Federal government needs vast improvement. While the federal government's response needs improvement, it appears at this early stage that there really were no good plans for a disaster of this level at the local and state levels, even though there had been talk about its possibility for years.

Amen and Amen!
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 11:03 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
That's because what Tico wrote here is merely the WH spin on the issue; it has little to do with Reality.

Not at all. The correction only identifies she declared a state of emergency prior to the hurricane landing. What effect did that have? Bush ordered a state of emergency in Louisiana on Saturday the 27th. Does that mean you will stop criticizing the Bush Administration?

Cyclops wrote:
The Bushco. is trying to spin this one away from their own responsibility, but it won't work.

What will happen is emergency managment agencies, both federal and local, will assess the response to this disaster and make improvements in their disaster relief plans.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 11:03 am
I basically agree with that, too.

And especially with Kicky. What happened to "the buck stops here"?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 11:08 am
The kiss from Judas?

http://www.wric.com/Global/story.asp?S=3807845
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 11:11 am
sozobe wrote:
I basically agree with that, too.

And especially with Kicky. What happened to "the buck stops here"?

In this case, the buck pretty much stops at the desk of the Governor of Louisiana, where it belongs.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 11:12 am
The kiss from Judas? Your spin. Could it not have been the President's attempt to show no hard feelings, let's just work together from here?

Tico,

As much as it hurts saying this, as I am a Louisianan, I have to agree with you. Governor Blanco did not handle this well, nor did Mayor Nagin. And yes, even Bush made some big mistakes. I would love to see the three of them put their differences aside now and do what is right for finding resolutions.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 11:17 am
Quote:
What will happen is emergency managment agencies, both federal and local, will assess the response to this disaster and make improvements in their disaster relief plans.

Well, while this is undoubtedly true, you will note that there will undoubtedly be political reprecussions; aren't there always?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 11:28 am
BBB
Bush's keeping the governor out of the loop and snubbing her is typical of Bush's attitude of "You're either with us or you're against us." Remember that famous Bush announcement after 9/11?

Bush is a petty man. His behavior re the governor demonstrates this trait.

BBB
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 11:36 am
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Bush's keeping the governor out of the loop and snubbing her is typical of Bush's attitude of "You're either with us or you're against us." Remember that famous Bush announcement after 9/11?

BBB

BBB,

Well, you have your take on it and I have mine. Guess it's just best to leave it at that.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 11:38 am
Re: BBB
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

BBB

What do you call the governor's decision to wait 24 hours to respond to the options Bush gave her? (Link to the news article ... HERE. Link to the video ... HERE)

He's not snubbing her. He's trying to get her to make a decision.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 11:48 am
Excellent Tico! I hadn't seen that. I am glad to see Mayor Nagin looking for solutions now.

Well, BBB, you had better sit down for this comment from me.

I happen to be one of those that do not believe women should be in politics, especially in seats such as governor. I KNOW! Now, don't faint! It is scientific fact that women and men think from the opposite sides of their brains. And, (IMO) it is very hard for women to keep their personal emotions out of situations. I did not vote for Governor Blanco.

Governor Blanco postponing ANY decision after she continually asked for help and criticized what WAS being done was (IMO) irresponsible on her part.

Now, I would love to see Mayor Nagin, Bush, and Governor Blanco have a heart to heart and say, "Ok, we ALL made mistakes. Now, let's fix this and then we are going to meet again and see what can be done in the future to avoid this kind of thing." This is what I believe our leaders should do. Accept their responsibility, correct their actions, and then work on not repeating the same mistakes.

BBB? Are you still there? You didn't faint did you?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 12:09 pm
Quote:
Now, I would love to see Mayor Nagin, Bush, and Governor Blanco have a heart to heart and say, "Ok, we ALL made mistakes. Now, let's fix this and then we are going to meet again and see what can be done in the future to avoid this kind of thing." This is what I believe our leaders should do. Accept their responsibility, correct their actions, and then work on not repeating the same mistakes.

Well, this is one of the major complaints about the Bush admin. from a lot of people; they don't display any ability to accept responsibility for errors or admit that mistakes were made.

I'm not saying that they are incapable of doing so; just that they don't do so.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 12:12 pm
FEMA is not a "first responder" indeed ...

Quote:
Craig Martelle: FEMA is not a first responder
Don't be so quick to pillory the federal response in New Orleans. Immediate emergency management is primarily a local and state responsibility

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

As one who has received training by FEMA in emergency management and also training by the Department of Defense in consequence management, I believe that the federal response in New Orleans needs clarification.

The key to emergency management starts at the local level and expands to the state level. Emergency planning generally does not include any federal guarantees, as there can only be limited ones from the federal level for any local plan. FEMA provides free training, education, assistance and respond in case of an emergency, but the local and state officials run their own emergency management program.

Prior development of an emergency plan, addressing all foreseeable contingencies, is the absolute requirement of the local government --and then they share that plan with the state emergency managers to ensure that the state authorities can provide necessary assets not available at the local level. Additionally, good planning will include applicable elements of the federal government (those located in the local area). These processes are well established, but are contingent upon the personal drive of both hired and elected officials at the local level.

I've reviewed the New Orleans emergency management plan. Here is an important section in the first paragraph.

"We coordinate all city departments and allied state and federal agencies which respond to citywide disasters and emergencies through the development and constant updating of an integrated multi-hazard plan. All requests for federal disaster assistance and federal funding subsequent to disaster declarations are also made through this office. Our authority is defined by the Louisiana Emergency Assistance and Disaster Act of 1993, Chapter 6 Section 709, Paragraph B, 'Each parish shall maintain a Disaster Agency which, except as otherwise provided under this act, has jurisdiction over and serves the entire parish.' "

Check the plan -- the "we" in this case is the office of the mayor, Ray Nagin who was very quick and vocal about blaming everyone but his own office. A telling picture, at left, taken by The Associated Press on Sept. 1 and widely circulated on the Internet shows a school bus park, apparently filled to capacity with buses, under about four feet of water. If a mandatory evacuation was ordered, why weren't all the taxpayer-purchased buses used in the effort?

Who could have predicted the anarchy resulting as a consequence? The individuals who devolved into lawless animals embarrass the entirety of America. (I worked in a U.S. Embassy overseas for a couple years and I can imagine what foreign diplomats are thinking.) What societal factors would ever lead people to believe that this behavior was even remotely acceptable?

The folks in New Orleans who are perpetrating the violence and lawlessness are not that way because of low income or of race, but because they personally do not have any honor or commitment to higher ideals. The civil-rights leaders should be ashamed at playing the blame game.

The blame is on the individuals. The blame is on the society that allowed these individuals to develop the ideal that the individual is greater than the national pride he is destroying. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice was very clear in her comments that she was offended at those who suggested the suffering in New Orleans was prolonged because of race.

As a retired Marine, I hang my head in shame to see my fellow Americans degenerate so far. I spent so many years in the Corps helping the citizens of other countries rise to a higher level of personal responsibility to ensure that in case of emergency, anarchy did not necessarily follow. When people are held to a higher standard of personal responsibility and they accept that, then they will do the right thing when the time comes.

It seems that the mayor of New Orleans is leading the effort in not taking responsibility for his actions. The emergency managers for the state of Louisiana do not have much to say either. The failure in the first 48 hours to provide direction for survivors is theirs to live with. When FEMA was able to take over, it started out behind and had to develop its plan on the fly. Now the federal government has established priorities -- rescue the stranded, evacuate the city, flow in resources and fix the levee. It appears that now there is a plan and it is being systematically executed.

Hurricane Katrina was a national tragedy -- not just in the number of lives lost or the amount of physical damage, but also in the failure of people to do what is right when no one is looking.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 12:26 pm
sozobe wrote:
Interesting point.

Not to me. People who fail to do their job are routinely...never heard from again
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 12:29 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
I happen to be one of those that do not believe women should be in politics, especially in seats such as governor.

Too bad. Now I'll have to discount your opinions.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 12:38 pm
panzade wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:
I happen to be one of those that do not believe women should be in politics, especially in seats such as governor.

Too bad. Now I'll have to discount your opinions.

You don't agree with "one" thing I say so you are going to discount all of my opinions? Am I reading that correctly?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 12:50 pm
panzade, the point I thought was interesting was that the blame-shifting is itself very Third World.

Oh my, just saw Momma Angel's latest about women in politics. Gosh.
0 Replies