Katrina-Bush and the political questions begin

revel

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 07:49 am
http://www.fema.gov/news/newsrelease.fema?id=18478

President Declares Major Disaster For Louisiana

Release Date: August 29, 2005
Release Number: HQ-05-179

ยป More Information on Louisiana Hurricane Katrina

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- The head of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) announced today that federal disaster aid has been made available to the state of Louisiana to help residents and communities recover from the damages and losses incurred from the onslaught of Hurricane Katrina.

Michael D. Brown, Under Secretary of Homeland Security for Emergency Preparedness and Response, said the assistance was authorized under a major disaster declaration issued for the state by President Bush. The declaration covers damage to private and public property from Hurricane Katrina that occurred beginning August 29, 2005 and continuing.

The action follows the President's emergency declaration of August 27 that released federal resources to help meet immediate life-saving and life-sustaining human needs and protecting property in addition to other emergency protective measures. Debris removal and emergency services to assist law enforcement with evacuations and establishment of shelters are also eligible costs covered by the federal funding.

Affected individuals and business owners in the parishes of Acadia, Ascension, Assumption, Calcasieu, Cameron, East Baton Rouge, East Feliciana, Iberia, Iberville, Jefferson, Jefferson Davis, Lafayette, Lafourche, Livingston, Orleans, Plaquemines, Pointe Coupee, St. Bernard, St. Charles, St. Helena, St. James, St. John, St. Mary, St. Martin, St. Tammany, Tangipahoa, Terrebonne, Vermilion, Washington, West Baton Rouge, and West Feliciana are eligible for aid.

The assistance will be coordinated by FEMA and can include grants to help pay for temporary housing, home repairs and other serious disaster-related expenses. Low-interest loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration also will be available to cover residential and business losses not fully compensated by insurance.

Federal funding is available to State and eligible local government in the parishes of Acadia, Ascension, Assumption, Calcasieu, Cameron, East Baton Rouge, East Feliciana, Iberia, Iberville, Jefferson, Jefferson Davis, Lafayette, Lafourche, Livingston, Orleans, Plaquemines, Pointe Coupee, St. Bernard, St. Charles, St. Helena, St. James, St. John, St. Mary, St. Martin, St. Tammany, Tangipahoa, Terrebonne, Vermilion, Washington, West Baton Rouge, and West Feliciana for debris removal and emergency protective measures, including direct Federal assistance.

Federal funding also is available to State and eligible local governments in the parishes of Allen, Avoyelles, Beauregard, Bienville, Bossier, Caddo, Caldwell, Catahoula, Claiborne, Concordia, Desoto, East Carroll, Evangeline, Franklin, Grant, Jackson, LaSalle, Lincoln, Madison, Morehouse, Natchitoches, Ouachita, Rapides, Red River, Richland, Sabine, St. Landry, Tensas, Union, Vernon, Webster, West Carroll, and Winn for emergency protective measures, including direct Federal assistance.

For a period of up to 72 hours, federal funding is available at 100 percent of the total eligible costs for emergency protective measures, including direct federal assistance. The 72-hour period funding at 100 percent excludes debris removal.

Funding, on a cost-sharing basis, is available for hazard mitigation measures in St. Mary, St. Tammany and Ouachita parishes. Damage surveys are continuing and more counties and additional forms of assistance may be designated after the assessments are completed.

Brown named William Lokey of FEMA to coordinate the federal relief effort.

Lokey encouraged those who sustained losses in the designated counties to begin the disaster application process by registering online at www.fema.gov or by calling 1-800-621-FEMA (3362), or 1-800-462-7585 (TTY) for the hearing and speech impaired. The toll-free telephone numbers will be available 24 hours seven days a week until further notice.

Registering on-line is encouraged due to the possibility of high call volume. If registering by phone, owners of commercial properties and residents with only minor losses are urged to wait a few days before calling so those whose homes were destroyed or heavily damaged can be served first. Storm victims with insurance coverage should contact their insurance company or agent before calling to report losses and, if necessary, to request an advance or partial payment of their settlement.

FEMA prepares the nation for all hazards and manages federal response and recovery efforts following any national incident. FEMA also initiates mitigation activities, trains first responders, works with state and local emergency managers, and manages the National Flood Insurance Program and the U.S. Fire Administration. FEMA became part of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security on March 1, 2003.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 07:53 am
Momma Angel wrote:
I just got this in my email. Thought you might find this rather interesting. I know I did.

It seems pretty, ya know, complainy to me. Not very positive or uplifting or anything. ;-)
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 07:56 am
revel wrote:
As soon as President declared Mississippi and Lousianna a federal disaster area he didn't need any other premission to get help down to the effected areas. This is just more blame shifting.

To where it belongs? Any "blaming" at this point is only productive so far as it can correctly assess the breakdown in the system, so that it doesn't happen in the future. But blaming the hurricane on Bush started even before any damage had occurred (he didn't implement Kyoto, remember?).

Disaster relief is the primary responsibility of local and state government. The federal government steps in when requested by the affected state. All the spinning from the anti-Bush crowd aside, primary responsibility lies with Governor Blanco, period.

Quote:
Mayor Nagin: Gov. Blanco Delayed Rescue

After days of blaming the federal officials for not responding quickly enough to the Hurricane Katrina crisis, New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin praised President Bush on Monday - and charged that Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco had delayed federal rescue efforts by 24-hours.

"I'm so happy that the president came down here," Nagin said of Bush's Friday visit to Louisiana in an interview with CNN. "He came down and saw it, and he put a general on the field. His name is General Honore. And when he hit the field, we started to see action."

Story Continues Below

But Nagin had harsh words for his state's leaders, telling CNN: "What the state was doing, I don't frigging know. But I tell you, I am pissed. It wasn't adequate."

The New Orleans Democrat said he urged Bush to meet privately with Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco during the visit. The meeting took place aboard Air Force One, he said.

After reviewing the crisis with Gov. Blanco, Bush summoned Nagin for a private chat - where, according to Nagin, Bush explained: "Mr. Mayor, I offered two options to the governor. I said . . . I was ready to move today. The governor said she needed 24 hours to make a decision."

Reacting to the governor's footdragging, Nagin lamented: "It would have been great if we could of left Air Force One, walked outside, and told the world that we had this all worked out."

"It didn't happen, and more people died."
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 07:59 am
Momma Angel wrote:
Wait a minute. Aren't the gulfwaters salt water? Alligators are freshwater reptiles not saltwater.

I think Setanta reacted shrewedly when he looked it up at urbanlegends.about.com. As fishes go, sharks in general are fairly bad at extracting oxygen from water. And even regular fish would be in trouble swimming in the streets of New Orleans. The water there is shallow, warm, and depleted of oxygen. Basically it's pee -- except that regular pee is sterile, has no dead bodies swimming in it, and hence is much more hygienic than the water in the streets of New Orleans. I am not a zoologist, so I can't guaranty that absolutely no sharks can survive there. But I would be very, very surprised if they could.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 08:33 am
From the FEMA website:

FEMA wrote:
FEMA prepares the nation for all hazards and manages federal response and recovery efforts following any national incident. FEMA also initiates mitigation activities, trains first responders, works with state and local emergency managers....

Sounds to me that they could have just gone in and begun rescue efforts with or without the governor's consent.

The bone of contention between Blanco and the Feds seems to be the Federal government taking over the entire city. But FEMA could have begun rescue efforts without that occurring.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 08:36 am
Tico,

I am not 100% sure but I don't think Homeland security is restricted by state and local governements. FEMA is under homeland security.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 08:40 am
From the FEMA release, dated August 29.

FEMA release wrote:
Michael D. Brown, Under Secretary of Homeland Security for Emergency Preparedness and Response, said the assistance was authorized under a major disaster declaration issued for the state by President Bush. The declaration covers damage to private and public property from Hurricane Katrina that occurred beginning August 29, 2005 and continuing.

The action follows the President's emergency declaration of August 27 that released federal resources to help meet immediate life-saving and life-sustaining human needs and protecting property in addition to other emergency protective measures....

It looks like they could have just gone in and begun rescuing. And in fact they were active well before Wednesday, when that order was signed by Blanco or before Bush arrived. So they didn't have to wait for the governor, or that order.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 08:45 am
McTag wrote:
Yes Bernie- may I call you that?

McT

Indeed you may. Or Bubbles.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 08:51 am
fbaezer wrote:
Here comes soothing fbaezer...

May I say that outside the US, at the same time there is a true feeling of sadness for the people in New Orleans, there is also a sense of surprise, from both the images and the Federal Government's reaction: "What? Is this the United States of America? It doesn't look like a first world country at all!"

We do not see you often enough, my soothing friend.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 08:55 am
Setanta wrote:
Oh Geeze, this just gets goofier and goofier:

Are sharks prowling the streets of New Orleans?

I've got proof!

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/4263/jaws19mw.jpg
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 08:56 am
blatham wrote:

I say the same to you.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 08:59 am
blatham wrote:

fbaezer wrote:
Here comes soothing fbaezer...
quote]

How do you expect to see me more often in these threads, if after a well thought post comes a bizarre partisan discussion about urban legends?

I didn't know -and don't care- about the Louisiana governor's and the New Orleans mayor's political affiliation.

May I add that this blame shifting discussion is, also, very Third World?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 09:02 am
Interesting point.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 09:30 am
What Papers Does Michael Chertoff Read?
What Papers Does Michael Chertoff Read?
By Editors & Publishers Staff
Published: September 05, 2005 6:05 PM ET

NEW YORK On Sunday's "Meet the Press," Homeland Security chief Michael Chertoff told Tim Russert that one reason for the delay in rushing federal aid to the Gulf Coast was that "everyone" thought the crisis had passed when the storm left town: "I remember on Tuesday morning picking up newspapers and I saw headlines, 'New Orleans Dodged The Bullet.'"

The Wonkette blog raised this question today: "We're wondering what papers the Chertoff household gets," and then showed a few front page banners from Tuesday morning, including the Times-Picayune's CATASTROPHIC.

"The Newseum has over 400 front pages archived," Wonkette noted, "but we suspect that the one with the 'New Orleans Dodged The Bullet' head exists primarily in Chertoff's mind."
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 10:15 am
Tico Wrote:

Quote:
Behind the scenes, a power struggle emerged, as federal officials tried to wrest authority from Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Babineaux Blanco (D). Shortly before midnight Friday, the Bush administration sent her a proposed legal memorandum asking her to request a federal takeover of the evacuation of New Orleans, a source within the state's emergency operations center said Saturday.

The administration sought unified control over all local police and state National Guard units reporting to the governor. Louisiana officials rejected the request after talks throughout the night, concerned that such a move would be comparable to a federal declaration of martial law. Some officials in the state suspected a political motive behind the request. "Quite frankly, if they'd been able to pull off taking it away from the locals, they then could have blamed everything on the locals," said the source, who does not have the authority to speak publicly.

A senior administration official said that Bush has clear legal authority to federalize National Guard units to quell civil disturbances under the Insurrection Act and will continue to try to unify the chains of command that are split among the president, the Louisiana governor and the New Orleans mayor.

Louisiana did not reach out to a multi-state mutual aid compact for assistance until Wednesday, three state and federal officials said. As of Saturday, Blanco still had not declared a state of emergency, the senior Bush official said.

"The federal government stands ready to work with state and local officials to secure New Orleans and the state of Louisiana," White House spokesman Dan Bartlett said. "The president will not let any form of bureaucracy get in the way of protecting the citizens of Louisiana."

Blanco made two moves Saturday that protected her independence from the federal government: She created a philanthropic fund for the state's victims and hired James Lee Witt, Federal Emergency Management Agency director in the Clinton administration, to advise her on the relief effort.

Bush, who has been criticized, even by supporters, for the delayed response to the disaster, used his weekly radio address to put responsibility for the failure on lower levels of government. The magnitude of the crisis "has created tremendous problems that have strained state and local capabilities," he said. "The result is that many of our citizens simply are not getting the help they need, especially in New Orleans. And that is unacceptable."

Hello Tico! How are you doing? So great to see you! Thanx so much for posting this. It may not be the exact words of what I posted but it sure seems to me it backed it up pretty well.

I found it ironic, no actually, I find it funny, that the non-supporters of Bush will be very outspoken in how they feel about him and how the suppeorts of Bush are just plain wrong in their support of him.

Now, it looks like the thing that the non-supporters have been complaining about the most (i.e., it's largely, mostly, etc. the President's fault) just doesn'thave the validity the non-supporters thinks it did. Now, instead of a hmmm, let me reassess the situation, we get what?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 10:40 am
That's because what Tico wrote here is merely the WH spin on the issue; it has little to do with Reality.

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/week_2005_09_04.php#006418

Quote:
As noted, the Washington Post got burned today by a "senior Bush official" who told them that Gov. Blanco of Louisiana had never declared a state of emergency in the site -- a claim the Post printed as fact. Yet the claim was demonstrably false and by late afternoon the Post had been compelled to print a correction.

This week's Newsweek contains the same false claim -- and though their recital of the anecdote is unsourced, common sense suggests that someone or some operation fed them both the same line, which neither organization checked out before running.

Monday's Times, not surprisingly, confirms that the White House damage control operation is being run by Karl Rove and Dan Bartlett.

Add it up.

The Bushco. is trying to spin this one away from their own responsibility, but it won't work. People know that Bush was on vacation and didn't mobilize in time. People know that Condi Rice was playing tennis and shopping on 5th avenue while people were drowning. She didn't even return to the office until the press started noticing her behavior during a time of crisis. People know that Dick Cheney is STILL unaccounted for, on vacation.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 10:43 am
Thanks for that, Cycloptichorn. Have a link to the correction?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 10:46 am
Here we go:

Quote:
Correction to This Article
A Sept. 4 article on the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina incorrectly said that Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Babineaux Blanco (D) had not declared a state of emergency. She declared an emergency on Aug. 26.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/03/AR2005090301680.html
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 10:47 am
Personally, I believe that both sides put their spin on things. That's a given in politics.

But, as I have said before, I live here in Louisiana and straight from some evacuees' mouths has come information backing up some of the Bush supporters claims, as well as the non-Bush supporters' claims.

I think that no matter what information comes out, no matter which side (supporter/non-supporter) is proven to be more correct in their interpretations, it isn't really going to matter. Spin is just that, spin.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 10:48 am
I'll have to hunt it down, but here's the text:

Quote:
The Post just ran this correction ...

A Sept. 4 article on the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina incorrectly said that Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Babineaux Blanco (D) had not declared a state of emergency. She declared an emergency on Aug. 26.

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/week_2005_09_04.php#006412

Now the blame game begins, is already in full swing... Republicans blame the Dem leadership in Louisiana, Dems blame the Republican leadership in Washington.

The problem is that this event could have just as easily been some other type of disaster; and the Feds' response was quite lacking in the eyes of most Americans. The problem for Republicans is while this can hurt them at a national level, and will, attacks against Louisiana governance is only, at best, going to affect the Dems at a local level in Louisiana; The Republicans have everything to lose on this issue.

I read an interesting article which stated that this was a real opportunity for Bush to raise his sagging numbers; he failed. You can't spin that little factoid.

Cyclolptichorn
0 Replies