Katrina-Bush and the political questions begin

Setanta

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 11:35 pm
husker wrote:
good no need to track it down then

A stunningtly witless contention. I would have said that about the silliness that if its not on Snopes, it must be true, but this one is even more unbelievably lame.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 11:37 pm
I believe it was said tongue-in-cheek.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 11:39 pm
Snopes currently has nothing about the e-mail MA posted. However, this is interesting:

National Geographic predicted this event.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 11:39 pm
McTag wrote:

it was - but soon we might be seeing it show up in the press - so no need to prove anything - my fingers are crossed
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 11:42 pm
Setanta wrote:
husker wrote:
good no need to track it down then

A stunningtly witless contention. I would have said that about the silliness that if its not on Snopes, it must be true, but this one is even more unbelievably lame.

dude - come on boss - you know I like to have a little humor poked in here and there and everywhere if possible - harder to play poker with someone like that - that's why my only friend are cyberfriends Cool .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 11:45 pm
Well, you're here saying that you hope it is proven true that Blanco acted with criminal negligence, so one does wonder about the extent to which your political bias clouds your judgment.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 11:48 pm
Set,

That was a pretty interesting article. I would have liked it better though if all those danged pop up windows wouldn't have popped up! But it was very informative. Thanx for posting it.

Did you mean me about the political bias? Hey, I just thought the article was interesting. I mean, if it is true, and by the way, Bush finally did get Blanco to yield to the Federal Government just today, then would that change yours or anyone else's perspective on what Bush did in this situation?

I, myself, am very interested to hear exactly if this story is true or not. If it is true, I would say it should squelch quite a bit of complaining shall we say?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 11:49 pm
Setanta wrote:
Well, you're here saying that you hope it is proven true that Blanco acted with criminal negligence, so one does wonder about the extent to which your political bias clouds your judgment.

bias - I never said anything about political party - don't put thoughts in my head ......................................................... (censored) I might get in trouble.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 11:49 pm
Husker--

In a time of rumor when urban legends are proliferating.....

...a wise man advocates a degree of skeptism.

I've been told three times today about alligators swimming through the flooded streets of New Orleans chomping up bodies so the true death toll will never be known.

This doesn't mean I discard my general information that reptiles don't like polluted water and alligators can't eat flesh that hasn't rotted.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 11:54 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Husker--

...a wise man advocates a degree of skeptism.

understatement Cool
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 12:03 am
Noddy,

Who told you there are alligators swimming in the streets of New Orleans eating bodies?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 12:03 am
husker wrote:
McTag wrote:

it was - but soon we might be seeing it show up in the press - so no need to prove anything - my fingers are crossed

Well, Husker, what was this supposed to mean? You have your fingers crossed that news reports will confirm that Governor Blanco was criminally negligent? As that would do nothing either to help the victims in New Orleans, nor to exculpate the Shrub for his dull-witted response, i came to the conclusion that you must have a politically motivated desire to see the topic changed from the admininstration's responsibility to one of the behavior of the Governor.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 12:05 am
Oh Geeze, this just gets goofier and goofier:

Are sharks prowling the streets of New Orleans?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 12:08 am
it's about the people 1st, and everyone else on your team here has been playing the blame game and I'm tired seeing the same old twisting of crap by you guys.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 12:08 am
Wait a minute. Aren't the gulfwaters salt water? Alligators are freshwater reptiles not saltwater.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 12:10 am
husker wrote:
it's about the people 1st, and everyone else on your team here has been playing the blame game and I'm tired seeing the same old twisting of crap by you guys.

Keep your half-witted "you guys" comments to yourself. Perhaps you are so brain-dead as to admire the Shrub--fine, but that doesn't mean that you can lump together everyone else as "you guys." You think people are twisting things? Prove it, Big Mouth.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 12:11 am
no need - read the topic
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 12:19 am
Momma Angel--

Evidently one woman was interviewed on "television" mentioned that she had seen alligators chomping their way through the bodies.

\
Quote:
Wait a minute. Aren't the gulfwaters salt water? Alligators are freshwater reptiles not saltwater.

Right. Just because you heard it on television doesn't mean that is its is accurate.

Colorful, but not necessarily accurate.

Husker--

Quote:

I'm not sure who you are talking to., but I found your post discourteous.

I'm not playing a "blame game"--I'm trying to divide facts from urban legends so that I know what is going on. Do you think that the validity of truth depends on whether the poster is Red or Blue?

What do you mean?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 06:06 am
Setanta wrote:
husker wrote:
McTag wrote:

Well, Husker, what was this supposed to mean? You have your fingers crossed that news reports will confirm that Governor Blanco was criminally negligent? As that would do nothing either to help the victims in New Orleans, nor to exculpate the Shrub for his dull-witted response, i came to the conclusion that you must have a politically motivated desire to see the topic changed from the admininstration's responsibility to one of the behavior of the Governor.

It's clear to all that Setanta is anxious that the "topic" not change from his preferred focus on the Bush Administration's responsibility to where it appears it should be ... on the inaction of Blanco. It is becoming increasingly clear that the foot-dragging and lack of leadership by the Governor of Louisiana is the biggest problem, not Bush.

From the Washington Post:

Quote:
Behind the scenes, a power struggle emerged, as federal officials tried to wrest authority from Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Babineaux Blanco (D). Shortly before midnight Friday, the Bush administration sent her a proposed legal memorandum asking her to request a federal takeover of the evacuation of New Orleans, a source within the state's emergency operations center said Saturday.

The administration sought unified control over all local police and state National Guard units reporting to the governor. Louisiana officials rejected the request after talks throughout the night, concerned that such a move would be comparable to a federal declaration of martial law. Some officials in the state suspected a political motive behind the request. "Quite frankly, if they'd been able to pull off taking it away from the locals, they then could have blamed everything on the locals," said the source, who does not have the authority to speak publicly.

A senior administration official said that Bush has clear legal authority to federalize National Guard units to quell civil disturbances under the Insurrection Act and will continue to try to unify the chains of command that are split among the president, the Louisiana governor and the New Orleans mayor.

Louisiana did not reach out to a multi-state mutual aid compact for assistance until Wednesday, three state and federal officials said. As of Saturday, Blanco still had not declared a state of emergency, the senior Bush official said.

"The federal government stands ready to work with state and local officials to secure New Orleans and the state of Louisiana," White House spokesman Dan Bartlett said. "The president will not let any form of bureaucracy get in the way of protecting the citizens of Louisiana."

Blanco made two moves Saturday that protected her independence from the federal government: She created a philanthropic fund for the state's victims and hired James Lee Witt, Federal Emergency Management Agency director in the Clinton administration, to advise her on the relief effort.

Bush, who has been criticized, even by supporters, for the delayed response to the disaster, used his weekly radio address to put responsibility for the failure on lower levels of government. The magnitude of the crisis "has created tremendous problems that have strained state and local capabilities," he said. "The result is that many of our citizens simply are not getting the help they need, especially in New Orleans. And that is unacceptable."

Read the rest of the article here ... LINK.

Move evidence of Governor Blanco's foot-dragging from the mouth of NO Mayor Nagin:

Quote:
S. O'BRIEN: There are people who say your evacuation plan, obviously in hindsight, was disastrous.

MAYOR RAY NAGIN, NEW ORLEANS: Which one?

S. O'BRIEN: Your evacuation plan before -- when you put people into the Superdome. It wasn't thought out. You got 20,000 people in there. And that you bear the brunt of the blame for some of this, a large chunk of it.

NAGIN: Look, I'll take whatever responsibility that I have to take. But let me ask you this question: When you have a city of 500,000 people, and you have a category 5 storm bearing down on you, and you have the best you've ever done is evacuate 60 percent of the people out of the city, and you have never issued a mandatory evacuation in the city's history, a city that is a couple of hundred years old, I did that. I elevated the level of distress to the citizens.

And I don't know what else I could do, other than to tell them that it's a mandatory evacuation. And if they stayed, make sure you have a frigging ax in your home, where you can bust out the roof just in case the water starts flowing.

And as a last resort, once this thing is above a category 3, there are no buildings in this city to withstand a category 3, a category 4 or a category 5 storm, other than the Superdome. That's where we sent people as a shelter of last resort. When that filled up, we sent them to the Convention Center. Now, you tell me what else we could have done.

S. O'BRIEN: What has Secretary Chertoff promised you? What has Donald Rumsfeld given you and promised you?

NAGIN: Look, I've gotten promises to -- I can't stand anymore promises. I don't want to hear anymore promises. I want to see stuff done. And that's why I'm so happy that the president came down here, because I think they were feeding him a line of bull also. And they were telling him things weren't as bad as it was.

He came down and saw it, and he put a general on the field. His name is General Honore. And when he hit the field, we started to see action.

And what the state was doing, I don't frigging know. But I tell you, I am pissed. It wasn't adequate.

And then, the president and the governor sat down. We were in Air Force One. I said, 'Mr. President, Madam Governor, you two have to get in sync. If you don't get in sync, more people are going to die.'

S. O'BRIEN: What date was this? When did you say that? When did you say...

NAGIN: Whenever air Force One was here.

S. O'BRIEN: OK.

NAGIN: And this was after I called him on the telephone two days earlier. And I said, 'Mr. President, Madam Governor, you two need to get together on the same page, because of the lack of coordination, people are dying in my city.'

S. O'BRIEN: That's two days ago.

NAGIN: They both shook -- I don't know the exact date. They both shook their head and said yes. I said, 'Great.' I said, 'Everybody in this room is getting ready to leave.' There was senators and his cabinet people, you name it, they were there. Generals. I said, 'Everybody right now, we're leaving. These two people need to sit in a room together and make a doggone decision right now.'

S. O'BRIEN: And was that done?

NAGIN: The president looked at me. I think he was a little surprised. He said, "No, you guys stay here. We're going to another section of the plane, and we're going to make a decision."

He called me in that office after that. And he said, "Mr. Mayor, I offered two options to the governor." I said -- and I don't remember exactly what. There were two options. I was ready to move today. The governor said she needed 24 hours to make a decision.

S. O'BRIEN: You're telling me the president told you the governor said she needed 24 hours to make a decision?

NAGIN: Yes.

S. O'BRIEN: Regarding what? Bringing troops in?

NAGIN: Whatever they had discussed. As far as what the -- I was abdicating a clear chain of command, so that we could get resources flowing in the right places.

S. O'BRIEN: And the governor said no.

NAGIN: She said that she needed 24 hours to make a decision. It would have been great if we could of left Air Force One, walked outside, and told the world that we had this all worked out. It didn't happen, and more people died.

Source.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 07:45 am
As soon as President declared Mississippi and Lousianna a federal disaster area he didn't need any other premission to get help down to the effected areas. This is just more blame shifting.
0 Replies