Katrina-Bush and the political questions begin

McTag

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 03:43 am
I think there'll be a shooting war now to get the last people to leave, who don't want to go.

And where are they going to be put? New towns have to be built.
Biloxi is NOT going to be rebuilt, I hear- large parts of it anyway.
Plenty displaced persons.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 05:45 am
I had wanted to do a comparison of the relief efforts following four hurricanes in Florida last year, and came across this blog entry that has already done my homework for me.

If they could do it for Florida...

FEMA: Florida Election Management Agency

(Lots of links within that are worth checking out, including report on money being handed out to people that didn't even have damages. Nice way to buy votes, dontcha think?)
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 08:08 am
Chrissee wrote:
CowDoc wrote:
I just started checking out this thread tonight, and my first reaction was that the conversation had seriously degenerated. But, then, I read it from the beginning and discovered that it hadn't had all that far to fall.
First, public safety and emergency services are primarily a function of local government. .

Bullshit.

As is so often the case, Chrissee, here again you are wrong.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 08:13 am
http://www.buzzflash.com/bradenton/05/09/images/06bradenton.jpg
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 08:14 am
Chrissee wrote:
CowDoc wrote:
I just started checking out this thread tonight, and my first reaction was that the conversation had seriously degenerated. But, then, I read it from the beginning and discovered that it hadn't had all that far to fall.
First, public safety and emergency services are primarily a function of local government. .

Bullshit. In a catastrophic event, since the local infrastructure has been wiped out. Help MUST come from the outside. FEMA was quite efficient at doing this under James Witt. Bush puts a horse association commissioner in charge of it and then puts it under HSA and this is what you get. A man made disaster.

LOL Tico edits out my reasoning to try to change the meaning of what I posted.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 08:19 am
Chrissee
Chrissee, Tico does that all of the time. It's a trial lawyer tactic that gets overruled by the judge.

What Tico does not admit is that, at the Governor's request, the Feds took over on the ground authority of federal military as well as state national guard.

BBB
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 08:21 am
Tico is not a trial lawyer, it is very easy to see why.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 08:21 am
Squinney
Squinney, where do you find those funny cartoons we enjoy?

BBB Laughing
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 08:24 am
Chrissee
Chrissee wrote:

You watch, Tico's anal retentiveness will result in him challenging the judge's over rulling.

Waiting........

BBB Laughing
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 08:28 am
Chrissee wrote:
Chrissee wrote:
CowDoc wrote:

Bullshit. In a catastrophic event, since the local infrastructure has been wiped out. Help MUST come from the outside. FEMA was quite efficient at doing this under James Witt. Bush puts a horse association commissioner in charge of it and then puts it under HSA and this is what you get. A man made disaster.

LOL Tico edits out my reasoning to try to change the meaning of what I posted.

LOL. What I did was highlight your characterization that is inaccurate. You take issue with CowDoc's very accurate statement that "public safety and emergency services are primarily a function of local government." When you do, you are wrong. Period. End of discussion. You can either admit you are wrong, or you can continue to delude yourself because your hatred of Bush won't allow you to concede he's not the primary target here.

Your "reasoning" (your word, not mine) only states the obvious in the next sentence ... that "help" comes from outside. FEMA is not a first responder agency, and it assists local government in disaster recovery services. That doesn't alter the fact that "public safety and emergency services are primarily a function of local government." Do you really think that "reasoning" supports your conclusion? Neither do I.

The remainder of your "reasoning" merely consists of your critique of FEMA.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 08:33 am
Chrissee wrote:

Hey, my turn to say, "bullshit."
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 08:34 am
Tico
Tico, why do you continue to attempt to obscure the fact that once the Feds are called in, everything, including local responsibility changes? You seem not to recognize that local control was almost impossible as everything was wiped out by the flood. That's the reason the law establishes a process for locals to call for help.

You play the verbal combat game and argue every point, but at least do it honestly.

BBB
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 08:37 am
Ticomaya wrote:
Chrissee wrote:

I thought you told me that you do Wills, Trusts and Estaes?
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 08:42 am
Chrissee wrote:

When I was taught the law of evidence the first thing I had drilled into me was relevance. Was it relevant? If not it had no chance of getting a look in.

Seems to me that in the cut and thrust of debate that relevance is a good rule. I know Tico can handle this himself but for some stupid reason I'm affronted by this.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 08:44 am
Chrissee
Chrissee wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Chrissee wrote:

I thought you told me that you do Wills, Trusts and Estaes?

What? Is Tico is one of those lawyers who use model computer programs for wills, trusts and estates, a law clerk does a little customizing, and then the lawyer charges the client as if it was all original verbiage written by him?

Wow! My image of Tico as the shinning knight defending the little people of this world has just been trashed.

Ah! The disappointment. Sob Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

BBB
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 08:53 am
BOTTOM LINE: Bush and company are the same people telling us that things are going according to plan in Iraq. You've gotta expect that they think that things went rather well in their response to the disaster.

And the kneejerk types who are seconding the administrations denial and incompetence in the Iraq situation are the same kneejerk types who are seconding the denial and incompetence here.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 08:55 am
BBB
duplicate post
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 08:55 am
Tico
Ticomaya wrote:
Chrissee wrote:

Tico, there a long line to get to say "bullshit." Only one "bullshit" allowed each day. You've just used your quota.

Now all you are left with is "horse pucky."

BBB :wink:
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 08:59 am
Frank
Frank Apisa wrote:
BOTTOM LINE: Bush and company are the same people telling us that things are going according to plan in Iraq. You've gotta expect that they think that things went rather well in their response to the disaster.

And the kneejerk types who are seconding the administrations denial and incompetence in the Iraq situation are the same kneejerk types who are seconding the denial and incompetence here.

Gosh, Frank, you noticed. Sharpe eye.

One thing you can be sure of is that Tico's favorite government is glad that the hurricane got Iraq and Karl Rove off the front pages. They are now free to play their hurricane-flood shift the blame game at which they are so experienced.

BBB
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 09:01 am
Gotta love factcheck.org.

http://www.factcheck.org/article344.html

The part that hit me the hardest:
Quote:
Whether or not a "breach" was "anticipated," the fact is that many individuals have been warning for decades about the threat of flooding that a hurricane could pose to a set below sea level and sandwiched between major waterways. A Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) report from before September 11, 2001 detailed the three most likely catastrophic disasters that could happen in the United States: a terrorist attack in New York, a strong earthquake in San Francisco, and a hurricane strike in New Orleans. In 2002, New Orleans officials held the simulation of what would happen in a category 5 storm. Walter Maestri, the emergency coordinator of Jefferson Parish in New Orleans , recounted the outcome to PBS' NOW With Bill Moyers:

Maestri, September 2002: Well, when the exercise was completed it was evidence that we were going to lose a lot of people. We changed the name of the [simulated] storm from Delaney to K-Y-A-G-B... kiss your ass goodbye... because anybody who was here as that category five storm came across... was gone.
0 Replies