Katrina-Bush and the political questions begin

Intrepid

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 08:01 pm
Setanta wrote:
That Miss Girl don't scare me . . . and you've just garnered another black mark in my little book, Intrepid . . .

That book must be about full by now Razz
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 08:01 pm
I'll have to buy another . . .
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 08:04 pm
Setanta wrote:
Well, i'd give ya a piece of my mind, but according to many of the ladies here, i have precious little as it is, and i suspect none to spare.

hey! Don't insult one of my A2K heroes!!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 08:08 pm
I've never had heroism on offer. But all of the courtly manners of which i might be capable i am more than happy to profer to you, Miss Pragmatic.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 08:08 pm
When I was working on my marketing certification about 15 years ago, one particular area we studied was the sales, advertising and marketing of cars.

Lovely stats there.

Here's a recent report.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/AUTOS/funonwheels/06/06/male_cars/

Quote:
How do women decide which cars to buy?

"If you picture a fraction with cost as the denominator then, as the numerator, you have things like reliability, performance..." said Doug Scott, NOP World's automotive analyst.

He went on with a long list of factors.

To sum it up, women add up the good things, subtract the bad things, then compare the result with the cost of the car. Then they think carefully about the result.

So, who's using emotion to make decisions, and who's errrrr using sense?

<obviously there are exceptions on both sides, but the overall results bear out study after study>
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 08:10 pm
In response to the thread title, this is a perspective from an Australian who is keeping in touch with the effects of Katrina so far. My observations are as follows and please feel free to comment on them:

- The Bush gov seem to be trying as hard as they can to calm the effects, but the population of New Orleans are not assisting - their impatient and dangerous attempts to escape the disaster are only exacerbating the difficulties.

- Regarding the policy allowing shooting of those who try to hinder the rescue effort - I tentitivly agree: In times of emergency, extreme methods must be employed for the common good.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 08:11 pm
Home Depot learned the same thing

Quote:
One of the most common arguments against gender-based marketing is that it might alienate the male market. The fact is, what women want often turns out to be what men also wanted but just never bothered to ask for. Take Home Depot, for example. The big-box hardware retailer had known for some time that, while women accounted for 50% of the company's sales, their influence on overall purchases was even higher. Recognizing that women focused more on projects and outcomes and less on products and their features

Women want to know what the results are gonna be, not which tool is most powerful. Not too many Tina the ToolPerson Taylor's.

http://www.managementmag.com/index.cfm/ci_id/1165/la_id/1
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 08:13 pm
Now research is confirming that the brains of men and women are somewhat different. Studies show that human male brains are, on average, approximately 10 percent larger than female brains. Certain brain areas in women, however, contain more nerve cells.

We must pay special interest on the amount of "gray matter," the part of the brain that allows us to think. The researchers wanted to know if women have as much gray matter as men or more to make up for the smaller brains. Later, it was proven that women have 55.4 percent gray matter, vs. 50.8 in men.

Men listen with only one side of their brains, while women use both, according to information on brain imaging presented in November 2002, at the 86th Scientific Assembly and Annual Meeting of the Radiological Society of North America (RSNA).

Other research suggests that on average the female brain performs better on some skills, while the male brain executes other tasks at a higher level.
0 Replies

Way Down Yonder

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 08:13 pm
Pragmatic,

Maybe you should stick to butterflys as you don't know
nuttin' about alligator terrritory.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 08:14 pm
Pragmatic Wrote:

Quote:
In response to the thread title, this is a perspective from an Australian who is keeping in touch with the effects of Katrina so far. My observations are as follows and please feel free to comment on them:

- The Bush gov seem to be trying as hard as they can to calm the effects, but the population of New Orleans are not assisting - their impatient and dangerous attempts to escape the disaster are only exacerbating the difficulties.

- Regarding the policy allowing shooting of those who try to hinder the rescue effort - I tentitivly agree: In times of emergency, extreme methods must be employed for the common good.

I can't believe it! Someone actually feels the way I feel about this! And you are an Australian!

And before you say anything Way Down Yonder, I live in Louisiana.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 08:15 pm
Way Down Yonder wrote:
Pragmatic,

Maybe you should stick to butterflys as you don't know
nuttin' about alligator terrritory.

Very very constructive criticism.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 08:17 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
I can't believe it! Someone actually feels the way I feel about this! And you are an Australian!

Some of us are pretty disgusted about the Aust gov treatment of this - according to the media (which I doubt sometimes) the gov offered next to nothing assistance to the Australians stranded in the disaster zone.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 08:20 pm
Pragmatic Wrote:

Quote:
Some of us are pretty disgusted about the Aust gov treatment of this - according to the media (which I doubt sometimes) the gov offered next to nothing assistance to the Australians stranded in the disaster zone.

Your Government or our Government?
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 08:21 pm
Australian coalition gov. I think the Bush gov is doing its best in the time and situation it now is facing.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 08:47 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Now research is confirming that the brains of men and women are somewhat different. Studies show that human male brains are, on average, approximately 10 percent larger than female brains. Certain brain areas in women, however, contain more nerve cells.

We must pay special interest on the amount of "gray matter," the part of the brain that allows us to think. The researchers wanted to know if women have as much gray matter as men or more to make up for the smaller brains. Later, it was proven that women have 55.4 percent gray matter, vs. 50.8 in men.

Men listen with only one side of their brains, while women use both, according to information on brain imaging presented in November 2002, at the 86th Scientific Assembly and Annual Meeting of the Radiological Society of North America (RSNA).

Other research suggests that on average the female brain performs better on some skills, while the male brain executes other tasks at a higher level.

Women's speech has been found to be more complex than men.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 08:52 pm
Chrissee wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

Women's speech has been found to be more complex than men.

I guess that is why I don't understand 'em Laughing
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 08:54 pm
pragmatic wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:

Since those Australians are in the US in the middle of a disaster being handled by various US authorities the Australian Government has no right to interfere in how the aftermath is dealt with. Australians, Brits, Greeks, Germans etc. have no particular privilege in terms of rescue than anyone else in the area. A young, healthy Australian who is on holiday in the States has no right to preferential treatment above an elderly, unwell American who has lost their home and all their belongings (and probably their pets).

Kim Beazley was well out of line with his comments about special mates and a helicopter. Pure domestic politics and politics at its most venal. And I vote Labor and would never vote for the Libs but I am disgusted at his comments. One more reason he has to go. But now I'm digressing into domestic Australian politics.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 10:11 pm
I just started checking out this thread tonight, and my first reaction was that the conversation had seriously degenerated. But, then, I read it from the beginning and discovered that it hadn't had all that far to fall.
First, public safety and emergency services are primarily a function of local government. The Mayor and parish judges should have been the first line of defense, and it appears that they failed miserably. Second, the state government should step in, and that obviously didn't happen either. We out here try our damnedest to be prepared for flood or earthquake, because we know all too well that the state and federal governments will not bail us out any too quickly. And, in fact, they shouldn't. There is a reason that county commissioners request state aid, and governors in turn request federal aid, and the jurisdictional bounds should not be overstepped. FEMA is not a primary response agency, and I would just as soon keep it that way. If you're looking for someone to blame, just check the past few local elections. You get who you vote for.
As far as the gender issue is concerned, I was able to meet Kathleen Blanco last fall, and I will only say that I was far more impressed by Mary Landrieux. I am not horribly surprised by the results, but testosterone levels are not a sufficient yardstick for measuring human abilities.
As for the flood control issues, you have to remember that the entire project was instituted in response to the 1927 flood that devastated the entire lower Mississippi valley, including New Orleans. Since the levees were constructed, and worked maybe too well, the river has stayed within its banks, and very little silt and sediment has been deposited other than at the ends of the crows-foot delta since. Developers have not been responsible for the loss of wetlands, but flood control itself.
Newton's third law doesn't apply only to motion - for every action there is indeed an equal and opposite reaction, and that usually applies to political processes as well.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 10:16 pm
Excellent point about Mary Landrieu, Cowdoc. I find her very impressive too.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 10:33 pm
CowDoc wrote:
I just started checking out this thread tonight, and my first reaction was that the conversation had seriously degenerated. But, then, I read it from the beginning and discovered that it hadn't had all that far to fall.
First, public safety and emergency services are primarily a function of local government. .

Bullshit. In a catastrophic event, since the local infrastructure has been wiped out. Help MUST come from the outside. FEMA was quite efficient at doing this under James Witt. Bush puts a horse association commissioner in charge of it and then puts it under HSA and this is what you get. A man made disaster.
0 Replies