Katrina-Bush and the political questions begin

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 05:27 pm
squinney wrote:
Anyone noticing how Mississippi didn't have the problems Louisiana has had?

Wonder if the difference is that the Governor of Mississippi was Reagan advisor and two term chair of RNC and Bush campaign advisor in 2000 and 2004.

The disaster relief was issued for both states by Bush on the 27th. Both states had also requested assistance. One state has a Republican governor and one has Democrat governor.

Hmmm.

If you're suggesting the differences in how these two Governor's reacted to the disaster has to do with their political persuasion, well, I suppose I can't really argue with that. After all, the Governor of Mississippi seems to have acted decisively, promptly, and with leadership. The Governor of Louisiana appears to have acted stubbornly, hesitantly, and without leadership. Louisiana has a touchy-feely leftist in charge, and can't seem to make up her damn mind.

Yeah, I sure do see the differences.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 05:28 pm
Nyet.

I am Loosey Goosey.

The repeat postings are a Pet Peeve.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 05:29 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
Anybody seen something about Louisiana deciding to tear down the Super Dome?

Something came across my desk on it a few minutes ago.

just reported on CNN
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 05:31 pm
Frank Apisa Wrote:

Quote:
I'm doing my best...and I'll take a rain check on the kiss.

Still giving lots of people plenty to get mad about...but doing it with sugar instead of....well, you know.

Laughing You got my number all right! Love ya! So glad your sister is ok. I didn't hear about the Superdome! Man, that's almost a sign they are giving up on the city!

I will have to check the news!

Tico! The Man!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 05:33 pm
Lash
Lash wrote:
Nyet.

I am Loosey Goosey.

The repeat postings are a Pet Peeve.

Get over it! Laughing

BBB
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 05:34 pm
When you stop it.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 05:36 pm
Lash
Lash wrote:
When you stop it.

Lash, oh your challenge is so tempting, but.....

BBB
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 05:36 pm
Re: Set
MA, i asked you a question to which i think it not unreasonable to have an answer:

Upon what do you predicate an assumption of differing "emotional equipment" between the sexes?
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 05:37 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
Anybody seen something about Louisiana deciding to tear down the Super Dome?

Something came across my desk on it a few minutes ago.

Looks like they're still deciding what to do about the Superdome:

From the Times Picayune website

Quote:
DOME DAMAGE SUBSTANTIAL

Tuesday, 5:22 p.m.

By Ed Anderson
Capital bureau

BATON ROUGE - Although there are electrical problems and some floodwaters still standing in the Superdome, state officials Tuesday said the future of the building is still undetermined.

But they did say this: Damages to the structure could hit $400 million - and it's not likely the facility could even be used for at least a year.

Superdome Commission Chairman Tim Coulon said the Dome will hire engineers and other consultants to do an assessment of the structural stability and other aspects of the stadium. That will be done in the next few weeks, Coulon said.

Besides flooding, the Dome lost part of its roof as more than 20,000 evacuees huddled in the facility in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

"We have to do a damage assessment first,'' Coulon said. "It is premature to write the Dome off. But there has been substantial damage.''

Damages may total $400 million but a precise figure will not be available for weeks, Coulon said.

"There is still some standing water in some areas in the Dome,'' he said. "Some water has gotten into the new scoreboards. . . .I don't see the Dome being used at all for at least a year.''

Coulon refused to say if he or state officials prefer to demolish the Dome or try to renovate it. The engineering study and assessment will help determine the course, he said

Doug Thornton, a regional vice president with SMG - the company which manages the Dome and the nearby New Orleans Arena for the state - said the Dome's interior was trashed during the evacuation and has to be decontaminated before engineers look at the structure.

"It may take us two to three weeks to get it cleaned up,'' Thornton said. He said it may take another 45 days to determine how sound the structure is.

"Seventy percent of the roof is leaking,'' Thornton said.

"Evacuees broke into the suites, commissary areas and into offices looking for food,'' he said.

Thornton said the Arena fared better.

It has some water-soaked carpeting, tiles and other areas, but he said it is possible the facility - home to the New Orleans Hornets and several concerts each year - could be back in operation "in the first quarter of 2006.''

Coulon said the Dome - well a new or renovated - will be part or a redeveloped and revitalized New Orleans.

"It will be part of an entertainment-sports complex which will be a major component'' of a rebuilt New Orleans, he said.

But, he added, compared to flooded streets and homes, homeless residents and possibly thousands of deaths, the stadium is "a second- or third-tier item.''

On a related matter, New Orleans Saints owner Tom Benson said to "the extent circumstances allow'' would like to keep the team in Louisiana and play its home games at LSU.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 05:38 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
But, it is (STRICTLY MY OPINION based on experience) that men ARE more emotionally equipped to hold public office.

What is the basis for your sexist opinion?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 05:38 pm
Lash
Ya know what really bugs me is when two people get into a pissing match and post a series of ripostes what bores everyone else to death.

I think we are doing that criminal offense.

Truce?

BBB Laughing
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 05:41 pm
I'm almost LOL - they are arguing about where the water is going to go that's so toxic - into the gulf and that will be a disaster. (CNN)

Ship it to WA or ID and put it in a deep salt mine next to the radioactive stuff we have!!

not really funny but I'm sorry

I can see it coming - Lake New Orleans
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 05:42 pm
Debra_Law wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:
But, it is (STRICTLY MY OPINION based on experience) that men ARE more emotionally equipped to hold public office.

What is the basis for your sexist opinion?

Faith and New Testament Bible
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 05:50 pm
Setanta wrote:
Upon what do you predicate an assumption of differing "emotional equipment" between the sexes?

still waiting . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 05:51 pm
We may wait a long time.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 05:52 pm
Set
Setanta wrote:
We may wait a long time.

Wimins wait better than men.

BBB
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 05:53 pm
I think Momma said something about different brain structure fairly early.
However, I'm pretty tired of all this in this thread.. Could we have a separate thread on whether women should be in governmental office?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 05:56 pm
Osso
ossobuco wrote:
I think Momma said something about different brain structure fairly early.
However, I'm pretty tired of all this in this thread.. Could we have a separate thread on whether women should be in governmental office?

Osso, why waste space with such a stupid question. It would be Momma against almost all other A2K members. Not an even match.

Let's go water skiing instead. Or we could go shopping if you're not up to it. Perhaps we could pack your stuff for moving.

BBB :wink:
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 05:58 pm
This boat ended up 3 miles from the coast
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jogales/40974873/
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 06:00 pm
Actually Set, I wasn't really sure you were posing that question to me. I thought you were but wasn't positive. But, now since I am positive I will answer your question.

Setanta Wrote:

Quote:

I kind of answered this to Thomas a bit earlier. So, I am going to answer this in the same way.

ME, AND JUST ME, as a female, I am too emotional at times. I have made many bad mistakes by acting immediately on those emotions.

Men think with the opposite side of their brains than women do. That's scientific fact. In my experience, men process things a bit more objectively more quickly than women do. IN MY EXPERIENCE, IN MY OPINION. NOT ALL MEN AND NOT ALL WOMEN! That's why, I say I must first gather all the information about someone I can and try to put aside my what is being called a sexist attitude, and look at the facts themselves.

Now, I realize I am opening myself up here for more criticism, but Set asked a question and deserved an honest answer.
0 Replies