Katrina-Bush and the political questions begin

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 04:57 pm
Debra_Law Wrote:

Quote:
Yes. You are sexist. Whenever you form a discriminating point of view based on perceived generalities with respect to gender, you are sexist.

Gee, I guess then the fact that I stated IT WASN'T BECAUSE SHE WAS A WOMAN is not why I didn't vote for her means nothing? Did I not say I put those personal things aside when I make my decisions? Did I not say that I vote for the PERSON that is best suited for the job?

Debra_Law Wrote:

Quote:
Another perceived generality that is totally false.

Oh man, what's with this? Ok, so not every single person knows every single person. I guess I thought most would know what I meant. You seem to have an issue with me. If you do, speak up. It's a common saying here in Louisiana.

Lash!

Great to see you my friend!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 05:03 pm
Re: Lash
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Lash wrote:
Please don't duplicate a post on multiple threads.

Why don't you go to your room and let me worry about my posts.

BBB Rolling Eyes

It is rude and hopefully against the rules to post the same crap on multiple threads.
We've already seen the crap once.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 05:04 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Kind of a shocking concept, BBB, lives before rules.

Seems almost ... right.

If you think things were screwed up before, ehBeth, imagine what chaos would ensue with everybody going off half-cocked making things up as they went along.

It would be worse.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 05:05 pm
Some of us don't agree with your assessment of BBB's post, Lash.

I'm guessing if the hall monitors have a problem with people re-stating their positions on a number of threads, the majority of the posters in politics would have a total of 3 or 4 posts.
0 Replies

Debra Law

We need to transport Momma back to 1872--a time when her point of view (that women were generally unsuited for public office) was embraced.

See BRADWELL v. STATE OF ILLINOIS, 83 U.S. 130 (1872).

The Supreme Court of the State of Illinois denied a woman, Myra Bradwell, admission to the bar because she was a woman. The Illinois Supreme Court stated:

"That God designed the sexes to occupy different spheres of action, and that it belonged to men to make, apply, and execute the laws, was regarded as an almost axiomatic truth.

"'In view of these facts, we are certainly warranted in saying that when the legislature gave to this court the power of granting licenses to practice law, it was with not the slightest expectation that this privilege would be extended to women."

[The three branches of government (legislative, judicial, and executive branches) are organized to make, apply, and execute the laws. Accordingly, it was generally believed that it was "God's plan" that women be excluded from government office.]

The United States Supreme Court upheld the Illinois Supreme Court's ruling. In a concurring opinion, Mr. Justice Bradley wrote:

Justice Bradley wrote:
Man is, or should be, woman's protector and defender. The natural and proper timidity and delicacy which belongs to the female sex evidently unfits it for many of the occupations of civil life. . . .

The paramount destiny and mission of woman are to fulfil the noble and benign offices of wife and mother.

In this day and age, it is the essense of ignorance, bigotry, and sexism for anyone to proclaim that men are more equipped emotionally to handle political office. I want to puke.
0 Replies

squinney

Anyone noticing how Mississippi didn't have the problems Louisiana has had?

Wonder if the difference is that the Governor of Mississippi was Reagan advisor and two term chair of RNC and Bush campaign advisor in 2000 and 2004.

The disaster relief was issued for both states by Bush on the 27th. Both states had also requested assistance. One state has a Republican governor and one has Democrat governor.

Hmmm.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 05:06 pm
ehBeth--

I am only talking about identical posts, as were BBB's.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 05:06 pm
People making things up as they go along is what saved hundreds, thousands, of Jewish lives during the second world war.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 05:11 pm
squinney wrote:

Wonder if the difference is that the Governor of Mississippi was Reagan advisor and two term chair of RNC and Bush campaign advisor in 2000 and 2004.

The disaster relief was issued for both states by Bush on the 27th. Both states had also requested assistance. One state has a Republican governor and one has Democrat governor.

Hmmm.

Unbefreakinleivable.

Try this: MS wasn't submerged.

Jesus Christ.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 05:13 pm
Lash
Lash, in case you didn't notice, my short post was in response to another's relevant post by McTag. I had already intended to post it on this site as a more appropriate thread.

Again, worry about your own posts, not mine.

BBB
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 05:15 pm
Debra_Law Wrote:

Quote:
We need to transport Momma back to 1872--a time when her point of view (that women were generally unsuited for public office) was embraced.

See BRADWELL v. STATE OF ILLINOIS, 83 U.S. 130 (1872).

The Supreme Court of the State of Illinois denied a woman, Myra Bradwell, admission to the bar because she was a woman. The Illinois Supreme Court stated:

"That God designed the sexes to occupy different spheres of action, and that it belonged to men to make, apply, and execute the laws, was regarded as an almost axiomatic truth.

"'In view of these facts, we are certainly warranted in saying that when the legislature gave to this court the power of granting licenses to practice law, it was with not the slightest expectation that this privilege would be extended to women." [/I}

[The three branches of government (legislative, judicial, and executive branches) are organized to make, apply, and execute the laws. Accordingly, it was generally believed that it was "God's plan" that women be excluded from government office.]

The United States Supreme Court upheld the Illinois Supreme Court's ruling. In a concurring opinion, Mr. Justice Bradley wrote:

Justice Bradley wrote:
Man is, or should be, woman's protector and defender. The natural and proper timidity and delicacy which belongs to the female sex evidently unfits it for many of the occupations of civil life. . . .

The paramount destiny and mission of woman are to fulfil the noble and benign offices of wife and mother.

In this day and age, it is the essense of ignorance, bigotry, and sexism for anyone to proclaim that men are more equipped emotionally to handle political office. I want to puke.

Well, if you puke, use a bucket. Look, you are not reading braille here, are you? You continually ignore the fact that I DO NOT MAKE MY DECISION ON THE FACT OF SEX! I have stated this before, I have come a long way in my thinking. I used to think that women should not hold public office at all. Now, I believe if they are the RIGHT PERSON for the position then they should. But, it is (STRICTLY MY OPINION based on experience) that men ARE more emotionally equipped to hold public office. Just what is it about that you don't get? I wouldn't vote for Martha Stewart anymore than I would for Larry Flynt! Big deal.

And, I, in no way, said anything about God's plan being any part of it!

Now, if you have a problem with that, then YOU have a problem with that.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 05:17 pm
Debra Law
Debra Law, have you notice that progress is being made. Momma Angel has already changed her belief in two short pages of this thread.

Ain't progress wonderful?

BBB
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 05:17 pm
Squinney Wrote:

Quote:

Hmmm.

You would actually equate Mississippi to New Orleans?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 05:18 pm
Upon what do you predicate an assumption of differing "emotional equipment" between the sexes?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 05:19 pm
BBB Wrote:

Quote:
Debra Law, have you notice that progress is being made. Momma Angel has already changed her belief in two short pages of this thread.

Ain't progress wonderful?

BBB

I have NOT said anything in two short pages of this thread that I did not already say in the beginning! Would you please read ALL of what I say and not what you just think I say?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 05:20 pm
Momma Angel wrote:

Frank! How good to see you! How is your sister? I am so sorry she had to leave her home.

Nah...she and her husband now live in Malibu. They use to live in New Orleans (Garden section)...and were there visiting friends and getting reacquainted with the place. She left NO the day before the storm hit. I must say she was feeling horrible about the city. She had written to me talking about how nothing ever changes in the city.

Now this.

Quote:

Does she know if she has anything left? I hope so much that she does! And Frank, you are being such a gentleman! I would kiss you if I were there! Take care, my friend!

Momma

I'm doing my best...and I'll take a rain check on the kiss.

Still giving lots of people plenty to get mad about...but doing it with sugar instead of....well, you know. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 05:21 pm
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
You know what I think was really going on that delayed federal assistance in the Gult area? I think there was a gigantic turf battle from the top government to the state level.

I know there were arguments going on in Washington as reported in the Media based on leaks by disgusted staffers.

People died while they argued and debated the constitution and the laws. A presidential order most likely could have waived a lot of the so called legal roadblocks to save people's lives and reduce suffering.

If I'd been in their places, I would have done whatever had to be done to save lives, feed and water people, and get them out as fast as possible. The hell with the laws. I would have then taken my punishment, if they dared, after everything was under control and people were safe. There is an old saying, it's easier to get forgiveness than approval. Especially in a bureaucracy.

BBB

Quote:
McTag, you know what I think was going on? I think there was a gigantic turf battle from the top government to the state level.

I know there was arguments going on in Washington as reported in the Media.

People died while they argued and debated the constitution and the laws.

If I'd been in their places, I would have done whatever had to be done to save lives, feed and water people, and get them out as fast as possible. The hell with the laws. I would have then taken my punishment, if they dared, after everything was under control and people were safe. There is an old saying, it's easier to get forgiveness than approval. Especially in a bureaucracy.

BBB

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 05:22 pm
Set
Setanta wrote:
Upon what do you predicate an assumption of differing "emotional equipment" between the sexes?

Some women cry after orgasm while men only moan.

BBB
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 05:24 pm
Lash
Lash, being a tad anal retentive, aren't you dearie?

BBB :wink:
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 05:25 pm
Anybody seen something about Louisiana deciding to tear down the Super Dome?

Something came across my desk on it a few minutes ago.
0 Replies