sumac

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 02:33 pm
And from Set's quote above:

"...provided safe refuge for more than 85,000 evacuees,..."

Evacuees, not refugees.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 02:33 pm
I think, in this context it is quite interesting, what local people say about it.

The president of Jefferson Parish, Aaron Broussard,
Quote:
tells C-B-S' "The Early Show" the[se] residents had the spirit to endure the forces of Mother Nature, but now their biggest obstacle may be "human nature."

In his words, "Bureaucracy has murdered people in the greater New Orleans area." He's demanding a congressional probe into what happened there -- headed by the right person.

As he put it, "Take whatever idiot they have at the top of whatever agency and give me a better idiot. Give me a caring idiot. Give me a sensitive idiot. Just don't give me the same idiot."

Meantime, Broussard is calling for any kind of help. Even a week after Katrina hit, he says locals still "need everything."
Source
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 02:47 pm
Re: I'm not shocked; I'm disgusted
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
I'm not shocked at Momma Angel's beliefs, I'm disgusted.

In some of my previous post exchanges with Momma Angel, I was too polite to state what I thought she really is based on a number of her posts. I called her an elitist instead. She denied she was an elitist just as she now denies her true character: "I am in no way, racist, a bigot, sexist, etc. In NO WAY whatsoever." It's too late for her to claim she's not all those types of people she listed in her last post. She's already amply demonstrated that the shoe, in fact, does fit.

I visited Momma Angel's "charity" web site. I studied what her charity claims to do and who is involved. I studied her photograph to see if it matched my impression of her. It didn't and I was surprised. I can't post the charity link here because the A2K moderators have already deleted it once before on another thread. One strong impression I got from this information is that a clever woman has found a use for A2K to support her "charity" efforts and in spreading her mission and philosophy, including her fund raising efforts.

Now I could be all wrong about my impressions and conclusions. If I am, then I'm prepared to apologize.

I guess my question to Momma Angel is: Are you using A2K to further your self-interests and the mission of your "charity?"

BBB

Dear BBB
I'm not sure that you are aware; I think Dys and Set are, I intend no malice towards anyone but might come off that that way once in awhile.
Do you have to be so mean spirited and down right nasty? I guess it's that overall spirit that grinds me the wrong way the past several days - just my 2cents.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 02:49 pm
Perhaps disaster makes us all a little cranky.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 03:27 pm
Husker
Husker wrote, "Dear BBB
I'm not sure that you are aware; I think Dys and Set are, I intend no malice towards anyone but might come off that that way once in awhile.
Do you have to be so mean spirited and down right nasty? I guess it's that overall spirit that grinds me the wrong way the past several days - just my 2cents."

Husker, I've been asking myself the same question. Why am I so angry the last few weeks? I don't think I've been this angry since the 1960s and 1970s. And I thought I had mellowed out in my old age.

I should be smarter than let some of the poster on A2K get to me. But when people are dying in Iraq and along the Gulf Coast, my deepest feelings come to the surface. If I were smarter, I would recognize that some A2Kers seem to be deliverately trying to push my buttons. If I were smarter, I would just scroll on by their posts. Evidently, I'm not that smart, but I'm only 76 so there is still time to change my ways.

However---Momma Angel is making a false charge against me. I never mentioned the name of her charity network. She was the one that did. I confined my comments to the content of her A2K posts.

I've already asked the moderator if I should edit my post that Momma Angel objects to. I've not had a response yet.

Thanks for your advise, I respect it.

BBB
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 03:33 pm
BBB
if your not afraid email me ?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 03:42 pm
Re: Husker
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
However---Momma Angel is making a false charge against me. I never mentioned the name of her charity network. She was the one that did. I confined my comments to the content of her A2K posts.

I've already asked the moderator if I should edit my post that Momma Angel objects to. I've not had a response yet.

BBB

I must admit I'm confused by your post. What "false charge" is MA making against you? You appear to be the one leveling charges around here. She hasn't posted since you did so.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 03:56 pm
BBB
I am unable to respond to PM's - sorry (mine are blocked)
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 04:00 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

BBB

I must admit I'm confused by your post. What "false charge" is MA making against you? You appear to be the one leveling charges around here. She hasn't posted since you did so.

Tico,

Momma Angel didn't post because she got suspended. And, I must say, with the absolute right of the moderators to do so. It does not matter why I did it, it matters that it was against the rules and I broke them.

I was suspended for a few minutes there because I continually mentioned my (I promised I wouldn't even say that word again and I won't), which is so TOTALLY AGAINST THE TOS, and yet, I did it. So, I apologize to everyone for doing that. I promise I will not do it again for any reason.

I hope you will all accept my apology for doing that wrong.

BBB, I am sorry, but I did take it that you were levelling charges at me that were totally unfounded.

I believe people can have personal beliefs about things and yet still put those aside for the good of others. I am, afterall, human. And like I asked you, is there nothing in your life that you cannot admit having some bias towards?

Again everyone, my apologies.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 04:06 pm
Momma Angel
Momma Angel, now you understand one of the things that you were doing that was really pushing my button. I appreciate your apology and recognition of the problem. It takes character in a person to admit that.

I could answer your question about what biases I might have, but I'm not going to go there because it would only get you riled up again. And we've had enough "rile" for a day, don't you think.

I've made slight edits to my post that you took offense at. Just keep in mind that I never mentioned the name of your site, it would have been a violation of the TOS.

BBB
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 04:08 pm
husker wrote:
BBB
I am unable to respond to PM's - sorry (mine are blocked)

Husker, can you send PMs but not receive them?

BBB
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 04:14 pm
I can only get them.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 04:16 pm
Husker
husker wrote:
I can only get them.

I will send you my private e-mail address by PM.

BBB
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 04:27 pm
BBB Wrote:

Quote:
I'm not shocked at Momma Angel's beliefs, I'm disgusted.

In some of my previous post exchanges with Momma Angel, I was too polite to state what I thought she really is based on a number of her posts. I called her an elitist instead. She denied she was an elitist just as she now denies her true character: "I am in no way, racist, a bigot, sexist, etc. In NO WAY whatsoever." It's too late for her to claim she's not all those types of people she listed in her last post. She's already amply demonstrated that the shoe, in fact, does fit.

I visited Momma Angel's web site. I studied what sshe claims to do and who is involved. I studied her photograph to see if it matched my impression of her. It didn't and I was surprised. I can't post the site's link here because the A2K moderators have already deleted it once before on another thread. One strong impression I got from this information is that a clever woman has found a use for A2K to support her personal efforts and in spreading her mission and philosophy, including her fund raising efforts.

Now I could be all wrong about my impressions and conclusions. If I am, then I'm prepared to apologize.

I guess my question to Momma Angel is: Are you using A2K to further your self-interests and the mission of your site?"

BBB

BBB, I am sorry, but I just don't see much of a difference here. You still (if I am reading this correctly) are calling me not only an elitist, but a bigot, a racist, and a sexist? If this is the case, you are so far off the mark you aren't even in the same firing range! Just because I think men are more equipped emotionally to handle political office does not mean I am a sexist. Everyone in Louisiana knows everyone in Louisiana. I didn't vote for Governor Blanco because I know some of her friends and her relatives and therefore am privy to some information you aren't. That's the reason I didn't vote for her. If she had been the right person for the governorship, I would have voted for her. To me, being sexist means I wouldn't have voted for her just because she is a woman. Not the case.

A bigot? A racist? Where have I ever said anything even close to being bigoted or racial? I believe we are all God's children and we are all due the same respect and dignity because of that. I just don't get where you think I am a racist at all.

I will explain exactly to you why I post on A2K at all so there will be no doubt in yours or anyone else's minds about that. I came across the site accidentally one night and read what I felt were some rather disturbing things. I got involved in the discussions because I wanted, more than anything, to understand the differing views and opinions that I read. Now, I have had some heated discussions with some and I have been able to agree to disagree rather civilly with most. I want to understand the reasons people feel the way they feel. The only way to do that is to ask them and thereby learn from their responses. That, and for that reason only, (well, that and I have made some pretty cool friends too!) do I involve myself with A2K.

The only thing I can gain personally from all this involvement is hopefully, a better understanding of other's views.

So no, BBB, I am not using A2K to further my self interests nor the interests of my (I am not even coming close to using that word because I promised!).

Now, I hope that answers you fully. And yes, I still feel you personally attacked my character and accused me falsely.

Momma Angel

Frank! How good to see you! How is your sister? I am so sorry she had to leave her home. Does she know if she has anything left? I hope so much that she does! And Frank, you are being such a gentleman! I would kiss you if I were there! Take care, my friend!

Momma
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 04:37 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Just because I think men are more equipped emotionally to handle political office does not mean I am a sexist.

Yes. You are sexist. Whenever you form a discriminating point of view based on perceived generalities with respect to gender, you are sexist.

Quote:
Everyone in Louisiana knows everyone in Louisiana.

Another perceived generality that is totally false.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 04:44 pm
Bush promises probe of Katrina response
CTV.ca News Staff

After days of criticism over the federal response to Hurricane Katrina, U.S. President George Bush announced Tuesday he is going to oversee an investigation into what went wrong.

SOURCE

It seems that GW wants to ensure the public hears what he wants them to hear.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 04:51 pm
You know what I think was really going on that delayed federal assistance in the Gult area? I think there was a gigantic turf battle from the top government to the state level.

I know there were arguments going on in Washington as reported in the Media based on leaks by disgusted staffers.

People died while they argued and debated the constitution and the laws. A presidential order most likely could have waived a lot of the so called legal roadblocks to save people's lives and reduce suffering.

If I'd been in their places, I would have done whatever had to be done to save lives, feed and water people, and get them out as fast as possible. The hell with the laws. I would have then taken my punishment, if they dared, after everything was under control and people were safe. There is an old saying, it's easier to get forgiveness than approval. Especially in a bureaucracy.

BBB
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 04:55 pm
Please don't duplicate a post on multiple threads.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 04:57 pm
Kind of a shocking concept, BBB, lives before rules.

Seems almost ... right.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 04:57 pm
Lash
Lash wrote:
Please don't duplicate a post on multiple threads.

Why don't you go to your room and let me worry about my posts.

BBB Rolling Eyes
0 Replies