Katrina-Bush and the political questions begin

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 01:51 pm
Here's some political questions that should be answered:

How did Mike Brown get the job as head of FEMA? He had no previous experience with emergency management whatsoever, and was fired from his last job as a horse lawyer in disgrace. However, he was the roomate of Bushs' 2000 campaign manager. Interesting.

How did the Chief of Staff, Patrick Rhode, get picked to run FEMA? He had no previous experience with disaster management whatsoever. However, he was a Deputy Director of Bushs' 2000 campaign. Interesting.

Okay, how about the Deputy Chief of Staff, Scott Morris? He had no previous disaster management experience. He was, however, a media strategist that worked on the 2000 Bush-Cheney campaign. Interesting.

---

Is it any wonder that FEMA can't respond adequately to problems when the guys at the top have zero experience in the field they were hired to oversee?

This reinforces, heavily, the disastrous nature of the Bushco system, and the GOP in general; loyalty to the Party trumps everything else. In this case, it may have cost thousands of lives.

Expect to see a lot of hay made over this.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 01:51 pm
I was taught in my youth that women must obey their husbands.

I got over it.

Edit - I won't post on this subject past this one, I think it is tangential to the main topic and not particularly useful.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 01:52 pm
Walter
Walter, you rascal, you busted me! I know I should mind my manners better, but some people just bring out the worst in me.

My bad!

BBB Confused
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 01:54 pm
Duckie
FreeDuck wrote:
Clever Walter.

Don't encourage Walter. He's already too funny to survive long on A2K without a keeper.

BBB Laughing
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 01:57 pm
No prob, BBB, there's still time to redeem yourself and make nice with MA.

I haven't weighed in on the blame game yet because I think that it takes a while for the truth to come out in these things. What I really wonder, and what I don't remembe and was probably too young to notice at the time, was what the federal response was to hurricane Andrew in 92?, 93? can't remember. Anyway, that was a 5, there was excessive looting and lawlessness following it, and there were many refugees who permanently settled elsewhere following it. Anybody remember if these same questions/complaints were raised then?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 02:02 pm
Walter, you are a thoroughly bad man . . . i want you to say thirty Ave Marias and make a sincere act of contrition . . . .
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 02:04 pm
Good question, FreeDuck. And no, I don't remember.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 02:06 pm
I imagine that there is a master's thesis or dissertation or two on related topics, but short of reading media reports following Hurricane Andrew, I'm not sure that there is an easy way to get to the answers to a few of those questions.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 02:08 pm
Momma Angel
Momma Angel, I in no way cast aspersions on the Care Angel network. Everything I wrote was about you and you alone, based on what you've posted on A2K, and the impression you've created for me by your own words.

You know something, when I visited your site, I studied it quite thoroughly. I was especially interested in your cat rescue program because I was actively interested in one in California before I moved to New Mexico. I regularly donated to the Island Cat Rescue and, in fact, I donated my vast collection of cook books to them, which raised over $1,000 for their cause.

I'm one of those animal lover people who, if forced to choose between being rescued from the poluted flood waters in New Orleans and having to leave my two beloved dogs behind, I don't know if I could make that decision. I think I would raise such a fuss that they would be forced to allow me to bring my dogs along.

So you can imagine that when I tried to match up that noble cause in which you are involved, with what you are posting on A2K with regard to racial issues, and now sexist issues, I was very disappointed. I thought that anyone loved animals as much as you obviously do, could not hold other beliefs that I find so offensive.

You are an inigma to me---and a disappointment.

BBB
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 02:11 pm
Re: I'm not shocked; I'm disgusted
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

One strong impression I got from this information is that a clever woman has found a use for A2K to support her "charity" efforts and in spreading her mission and philosophy, including her fund raising efforts.

That's pathetic, BBB.

Quote:
Now I could be all wrong about my impressions and conclusions. If I am, then I'm prepared to apologize.

You should do it now.

Quote:
I guess my question to Momma Angel is: Are you using A2K to further your self-interests and the mission of your "charity?"

BBB

Is there a problem doing so? She has a charity you don't agree with? Or are you just "anti-charity"?

And are you using A2K to further your self-interests?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 02:12 pm
From Weather-dot-com, a brief review of Hurricane Andrew, 1992.

Please note that for whatever reason, it is necessary to slide the bar at the bottom of the screen to the right in order to read the article. The article is in five parts, and the fourth part deals with the Florida recovery.

Weather-dot-com wrote:
Recovery from Andrew would be slow. In the days immediately following Andrew, tens of thousands of survivors faced unsanitary and uncomfortable living conditions with no power and a very limited supply of fresh food and water.

Two weeks after the hurricane, the U.S. military deployed some 22,000 troops to aid in the recovery efforts, the largest military rescue operation in U.S. history. Rows of tents sprung up where houses and trailers once stood. Long lines of people waited hours for hot meals.

If i find other information, i'll post it here.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 02:14 pm
Thanks, Set. Off to read.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 02:17 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
I happen to be one of those that do not believe women should be in politics, especially in seats such as governor. I KNOW! Now, don't faint! It is scientific fact that women and men think from the opposite sides of their brains. And, (IMO) it is very hard for women to keep their personal emotions out of situations. I did not vote for Governor Blanco?

I see you've already gotten lots of heat about this...but I simply gotta chime in myself.

Back in 1992...when Bush, Clinton, and Perot were duking it out for the presidency...I was honored by the Iconoclastic Party of America with their nomination for that office.

One of the mainstays of my campaign dealt with immediately getting more women into high office...which I wanted to accomplish via a constitutional amendment requiring each state to be required to split their United States Senate contingent to one man and one woman...working gradually into a 50 - 50 split in that body sometime in the near future.

In my opinion...less testosterone in that body would be good for our country...and even better for the rest of the world.

Obviously we are of greatly different minds on this...as well as the religion stuff.

Hope you fared well in the recent unpleasantness in your state.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 02:22 pm
I have found this page on Andrew, which gives some information on the reaction to Andrew. Scroll down the page to the section marked "Social Response." There are thousands of links about Andrew, but almost none of them deal with the emergency response.

CSULB wrote:
American Red Cross was a major contributor to the recovery of Hurricane Andrew. In response to the disaster, over 12,000 Red Cross volunteers from all 50 states, along with aid workers from Canada, Mexico, and Colombia rushed to relieve those who were affected by the storm. Working around the clock, Red Cross contributed roughly $81.5 million in aid, provided safe refuge for more than 85,000 evacuees, served over 4.7 million meals and snacks, financially assisted over 60,000 families in need of survival items (food, clothing, and medicine), and distributed over 42,000 comfort kits.

In addition to Red Cross, the National Guard provided recovery assistance. In Homestead, one of the hardest hit areas, the National Guard set up a tent city, providing refuge-water, food, and shelter to those affected. The Guard also provided security from looters for after they cleaned out local shopping centers they turned on their neighbors.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 02:23 pm
From Set's posted article:
Quote:
Two weeks after the hurricane, the U.S. military deployed some 22,000 troops to aid in the recovery efforts, the largest military rescue operation in U.S. history. Rows of tents sprung up where houses and trailers once stood. Long lines of people waited hours for hot meals.

Two weeks. Amazing. Of course, less than 50 people died in Andrew and we're looking at several thousand in NO. So they're not exactly comparable, but it's interesting to see that federal response is pretty much always slow.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 02:26 pm
Yeah, I was going to bring up the death toll, and how many deaths were preventable. I think after Andrew people were uncomfortable but I don't think there was such desperation/ mortal danger.

But it's an interesting question.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 02:28 pm
There was another site i found from the Florida Department of Corrections, which i did not link. However, it suggests that aid from all over the state and from neighboring states was forthcoming immediately. Be right back.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 02:29 pm
There was another site i found from the Florida Department of Corrections, which i did not link. However, it suggests that aid from all over the state and from neighboring states was forthcoming immediately. Be right back.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 02:32 pm
In the following narrative, the abbreviation "CI" means correctional institution, i.e., a prison or jail. The storm hit on Monday, August 24th.

The Florida Department of Corrections wrote:
TUESDAY, Aug. 25--Secretary Singletary was able to fly into the area and arrange for transportation to Dade CI and SFRC. He and several staff members arrived to a scene of massive destruction. The total devastation was apparent all along the route to Dade CI and the impact was overwhelming. Secretary Singletary was able to get to the institution to meet with the staff and to survey the damage.

Initial calls to the Central Office indicated an immediate need for water, ice and food supplies for staff in the south Dade area. Additionally, assistance was needed to cover roofs, secure files in probation and parole, and establish a plan for clean-up and reconstruction of the damaged buildings.

WEDNESDAY, Aug. 26--Statewide calls were being received offering assistance and donations to the staff victims. Messages were sent out that the department would initiate a fund for distribution in Region IV for those who had lost their homes and property. Each region established a contact person to accept donations and coordinate the delivery of non-perishable foods, clothes, furniture and money.

Statewide donations began to accumulate. Thousands of dollars had already been collected. The Secretary and the staff members who had traveled with him were each making calls to arrange for recovery efforts. Water trucks, refrigeration trucks, supplies, etc., were difficult to locate. The state of Georgia was contacted and they agreed to send a refrigeration truck which would be met at the Georgia/Florida line and driven by DC staff to south Florida.

Mobile homes were located and contract negotiations on delivery and set-up began in an effort to provide housing as quickly as possible.

THURSDAY, Aug. 27--Help did begin arriving. Water and ice were being delivered and the first trucks with non-perishable food products arrived.

Prison Rehabilitative Industries and Diversified Enterprises (PRIDE) allowed the Department the use of all trucks to make deliveries and worked with staff to coordinate the trips.

South Carolina volunteered assistance. Georgia also offered additional assistance. We received calls from Alabama and Connecticut.

Martin CI, Region IV community facilities, probation and parole office and the regional office were all established as distribution points for the donations.

FRIDAY, Aug. 28--SFRC ingeniously rigged a shower system utilizing a fire hose so that inmates could be showered. It was very successful and from all reports, had a tremendous impact on morale. It signaled the first step in the road to recovery.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 02:33 pm
Something I didn't remember and also from Set's article -- apparently Andrew went on and hit the Gulf Coast too, though as a cat 3. Interesting that the paths were so similar -- across the bottom of Florida, up the Gulf to Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama.
0 Replies