Where Are All The W.M.D.s?

McGentrix

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 08:29 pm
Deny the theory as you will, but it is as good as anything until any real answers are found. At this point EVERYONE is just speculating...
0 Replies

Scipio

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 08:46 pm
Well, I still see it my way, but seeing as how you guys "outrank" me, and I'm still getting to know the forums, and you guys know how this forum works better than I, sorry for using the big font if it means that much to you guys. (its even hard to say sorry over the computer -- where its all 1s and 0s!). =]~

Now on to the rhetoric:

Quote:
Yes, that must be it, Mc...

"Let's hide our weapons so well that the Americans do not find them. We make Boosh look bad and bring the world to our side!"

Howwwwwwwww about, "lets hide our weapons so the inspectors don't find them. After all, that why when our scientists were interviewed, an Iraqi officia was required to be in the room at all times. Thats also why we put a price on the head of that defecting Iraqi minister. So, if no one finds anything in the twelve years we've had to hide it, we can still be a country and still retain our power."

I see my version as more likely than yours. Surely you do too..?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 09:16 pm
surely we don't all see it your way - that is why we all argue. We're not ignorant of the details, we just read and interperet them differently.
0 Replies

Scipio

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 09:20 pm
Well I knew that, but I meant surely my idea seemed more plausable than the one before it. Maybe you guys could think of another one, but the one before it is just (man, I need a word here) assanine! =p
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 09:23 pm
I think that they didn't use them is very telling. Maybe saddam got some sort of deal for exile - he doesn't use the weapons and he gets to live on some pacific isle with his family....
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 09:43 pm
Confused Confused

There's still this one little thing bothering me. If Ms. Rice says there was a vast multitude of evidence, while the regime was in power, how did they manage to hide ALL signs of evidence while they were getting bombed , so well, that they have yet to be found, weeks later? Riddle me that.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 10:18 pm
Personally, I think there were little or no complete and workable WMDs in Iraq at the time of invasion. I think that George Bush and his appointees down-right lied about intelligence. I also think it was very likely that there were components of major weapons, but I'm not sure I believe there were components of WMDs.

Biological weaponry, is not, I believe considered to be a WMD. I guess it depends who you ask though.....
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 11:15 pm
Jeez, this is like "Where's Waldo?"
(Uh, the kids book where you search through large pictures to find one particular face). I don't have enough experience with it to be very good, so I asked a 14-year old friend of mine.

"Where's Waldo? The Whiny Mass Delusion? Dude, these are politicians, get a grip already! The only time they lie is when their mouth moves."

Well, that's from a future leader of our society anyways.
I hope he can do better than us.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 11:37 pm
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Whiny Mass Delusion, huh?....That's it, I can't follow that...Say godnight Boo...... Smile
0 Replies

GreenEyes

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 12:37 am
Okay. So we are are all pissed off. The way I see it... after 9/11 (God bless all thir soles) I feel used. I lost people I knew that day! I am pissed off. I thought Osama Bin Loser was No. 1 on list? When and how did the search go to... hmm... my Dad didn't finish off that dude Saddam in Iraq... looks like a good location, yeah, lets take it... good central focal point for me.. I mean the US for mideast peace talks.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 07:22 am
Did he have them, didn't he have them? If he had them why didn't he use them. Was the Bush administration miss led or did they purposely miss lead [lie}? At some point the truth may someday be known and than again some of the questions may never be answered.
That said I for one for whatever reason am thankful that WMD's were never used. I shudder to think of the casualties which would have resulted if it had been.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 08:03 am
Quote:
Powell: No Question Iraq Had WMDs Before War

Secretary of State Colin Powell said Sunday that he has no doubt ex-Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction when the U.S. attacked his country two months ago.

"There can be no question that there were weapons before the war," Powell told "Fox News Sunday's" Tony Snow.

"They have had weapons throughout their history," Powell explained. "They have used chemical weapons. They have admitted that they had biological weapons. And they never accounted for all that they had or what they might or might not have done with it."

Powell noted, "It was the unanimous judgment of the U.N. Security Counsel that Iraq was in violation of its obligation" to dispose of its WMDs.

In February, Powell told the Security Counsel, "Our conservative estimate is that Iraq today has a stockpile of between 100 and 500 tons of chemical weapons agents."

Asked if he still stood by those comments, the top diplomat was unequivocal.

"Yes," he told Snow. "I've been studying this for many, many years. . . As I prepared that statement, I worked very closely with the Director of Central Intelligence, George Tenet."

Powell continued:

"That statement was vetted very thoroughly by all the analysts who are responsible for this account. We spent four days and nights out at the CIA making sure that whatever I said was supported by our intelligence holdings."

Powell also denied reports that Vice President Dick Cheney had pressured U.S. intelligence services to tailor their WMD findings with an eye towards attacking Iraq.

Last week, Britain's Guardian newspaper apologized for a report saying that Powell told British Foreign Minister Jack Straw that he feared U.S. and British intelligence on Saddam's WMDs would "blow up in our faces."

On Thursday the Guardian issued the following retraction:

"In our front page lead on May 31 headlined 'Straw, Powell had serious doubts over their Iraqi weapons claims,' we said that the foreign secretary Jack Straw and his US counterpart Colin Powell had met at the Waldorf Hotel in New York shortly before Mr. Powell addressed the United Nations on February 5. Mr. Straw has now made it clear that no such meeting took place. The Guardian accepts that and apologises for suggesting it did."

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 09:12 am
McGent, Powell's quote: "There can be no question that there were weapons before the war," is common knowledge. That statement is not anything new nor revealing. The problem is what they said to justify this war with Iraq, that they have tons of chemical and biological weapons. This is also common knowledge. The key word is "have." c.i.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 09:30 am
Well, "before" is kind of key too. That's a long time. Does Powell mean the time when we sold them the goods?

Someone in an interesting blog reminded me that we allegedly knew WHERE the stuff was, too, just before the invasion. What ever happened to that? Bad information from a Democratically controlled CIA? Or something like that?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 10:33 am
My guess: Eventually this will be blamed on Bill Clinton.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 10:35 am
Seems to me, Bush Sr is a better target. c.i.
0 Replies

GreenEyes

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 12:39 pm
This article has nothing really to do with WMD, but.... thought I would share. Must have been very painful for GWB&Co.

Quote:
Reuters) - They have torn down his statues and peppered his portraits with bullet holes, but Iraq's interim U.S. rulers have been forced to print millions of new banknotes bearing the face of Saddam Hussein. Officials sitting at makeshift desks in the plundered and fire-ravaged central bank building say printing presses began cranking out vast quantities of Saddam dinars last week to ease a cash crisis that has enraged Iraqis. The problem lies with the purple-and-yellow 10,000-dinar notes, worth about $10 dollars, that Saddam's government introduced in the last years of its rule.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 02:14 pm
London's Sunday Observer reports on the Mobile Ass-Covering units discovered in Iraq:

Quote:
... The Observer has established that it is increasingly likely that the units were designed to be used for hydrogen production to fill artillery balloons, part of a system originally sold to Saddam by Britain in 1987.

In case anyone's confused here: hydrogen is not a germ.

Remember, Bush told us that these trucks were WMDs themselves.

Does anyone remember the Cuban missle crisis in '63, when Secretary of State McGeorge Bundy went to the United Nations with photographs of missles and silos and more?

Has the quality of US reconnaissance and intelligence gotten this lousy in the past forty years?

Unless the GOP can convince us that Saddam was planning to send a gigantic blimp into Lakehurst, the case John Dean makes for impeachment is getting stronger every day.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 02:23 pm
"Has the quality of US reconnaissance and intelligence gotten this lousy in the past forty years?"

Perhaps, but likely not. What has gotten extremely lousy is the attitude of the public (and their elected officials) towards fact, vs. fiction. The credulity issue (credulity, not credibility) is a big one and needs to be addressed.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 02:27 pm
"... the case John Dean makes for impeachment..."

Got that handy-by, PDiddie? Ramsey Clark's edition was too fluffy for me!
0 Replies