Where Are All The W.M.D.s?

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 12:55 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
American interests as defined by the current administration.

Thanks, Boss, for that much-more-to-the-point definition.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 01:25 pm
I edit to please, sir.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 01:37 pm
Where have all the W.M.D.'s gone?
Long time passin'.
Long time ago.
Gone for regime change, every one.
When will they ever learn?
When will they e-ver learn?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 02:20 pm
To every regime
Turn turn turn
There is a turnover
Turn turn turn And now it's Iran's turn
Turn turn turn
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 02:26 pm
Yeah, they're all turning in their graves..... we just can't hear their screams.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 03:35 pm
Quote:
This nation acted to a threat from the dictator of Iraq. Now, there are some who would like to rewrite history -- revisionist historians is what I like to call them.

Bush said that in New Jersey this week as he spoke at a frozen pasta factory (frozen pasta?) to a group of small business owners.

Which echoes this quote from Condi Rice's appearance on Meet the Press last week:

Quote:
There's a bit of revisionist history going on here.

Just for a laugh, wouldn't it be great if someone asked Shrub exactly what he thinks a "revisionist historian" is?

Now an administration that says things like this:

Quote:
We know where they are. They're in the area around Tikrit and Baghdad and east, west, south and north somewhat.

Donald Rumsfeld
ABC Interview
March 30, 2003

and then this:

Quote:
No one ever said that we knew precisely where all of these agents were, where they were stored...

Condoleeza Rice
Meet the Press
June 8, 2003

...isn't in much of a position to accuse others of revising anything.

But, merits aside, there's an even more intriguing question here: Of all the possible sound bites the administration could have chosen to try to cover its collective heinie, why did it pick something as esoteric as "revisionist history"?

I mean, flinging terms like that around may make you the neocon queen of the Stanford faculty lounge. And it might even score you some points on Crossfire.

But do the Bushies really think it means anything to the great mass of the American voters?
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 05:06 pm
I notice it a lot in the media, PDiddie. Experts, "high administration officials," and others who don't know what they're talking about try to get as close as possible, using the closest four syllable word (but not the right one), tossing off suave-sounding phrases they've read somewhere but know not the meaning of. Those of us who actually graduated high school with bona fide diplomas find ourselves feeling like elitists when we laugh at these guys. There's a lot of truth in the notion that you are who you are when you speak -- in which case, this administration (now they tell us!) may have a collective IQ of over 100 (or maybe not).
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 06:30 pm
If you guys are so smart, why are you hiding behind your computers instead of working in the industry as a talking head? I'm sure that Condi Rice would just love to debate the issues with either of you. Especially since your IQ soars over her dog-like intelligence.
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 06:31 pm
Come on McGentrix, give a guy some warning!!!!!

I was drinking milk at the time and it came shooting out my nose at that last post of yours!!!

Sheeeeshhh!!!!!!!!

Now, THAT is NAILING it if ever there was NAILING it!!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 06:45 pm
Milk through the nose, heh? What would you think of next. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 07:10 pm
max:

The Pus-Bacteria Moustache

http://www.bambootrading.com/milk/1749_small.jpg

Drink it all...
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 07:12 pm
Ironically, that picture of Ron Howard looks alot like my brother, maxsuncle.

Keep drinkin' the soy crap there, PDid, that's good for the farmers around here as well!!!!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 07:14 pm
I read or heard some time ago that milk really doesn't stick to your upper lip. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 07:42 pm
This argument has gotten silly. Beer through the nose would have kept my interest.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 04:09 pm
"Overstretching the facts."

Is that the same thing as lying?

Quote:
Former CIA director Stansfield Turner accused the Bush administration Tuesday of "overstretching the facts" about Iraqi weapons of mass destruction in making its case for invading that country. Turner's broadside adds the retired admiral's name to a list of former intelligence professionals concerned that the CIA and its intelligence reports were manipulated to justify the war. Since Baghdad fell April 9, U.S. forces have been unable to find chemical and biological weapons the White House said were in Iraq.

Yahoo! News
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 04:14 pm
Australia is to have a parliamentary inquiry into the effectiveness of its intelligence information prior to the invasion of Iraq.

The motion was narrowly passed in the Upper House of Federal Parliament.

The narrowness of its passing was due to the abstention of several Senators who were, in fact, in favour of an inquiry, but felt it ought to be public rather than closed - (the closedness being due to its being into intelligence matters.)

This could be interesting....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 04:18 pm
What may prove interesting down the road is the heat that Mr. Blair is getting in Parliament. If the furor in England grows, can the American public continue to hide it's--what is the claim now, 60%?--collective head in the sand? If Blair takes a fall (actually, something which is currently unlikely), would Americans continue to content themselves that this is a trustworthy administration? I am saddened by the lack of courage on the part of liberals in the Congress--the current Senate action is characterized as a "review" and not an investigation. Many administrations throughout our nation's history have lied, and sometimes gotten away with it. Rarely have the lies had such an impact on the world, however. And, often enough, in matters much less crucial, the political opposition has called the sitting administration's bluff. The usual outcome is the sacrifice of one or a few employees, but the effective result is also the neutralization of any claim by the administration to good performance based on the matters about which they have lied. The current administration may well get away with this one, and, if so, then liberal members of Congress will bear a good deal of the responsibility for that, as well as the shame.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 10:43 am
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/cx/uc/20030621/tr/tr030621.gif
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 12:02 pm
Weapons of Mass Deception
What the Pentagon doesn't want us to know about depleted uranium.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 12:03 pm
Now that's a funny cartoon.
0 Replies