Question for those having affairs with Married Person

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 09:35 am
nimh wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
nimh wrote:
Oh you're perfectly entitled to your opinions and free to express them, Bella, but "Who cares about the reasons <start rant about how you dont want to know about them>" is an odd way to slam into a poster when the thread is actually asking people to come forward and give their reasons, dont you think?

Sure, but why now is it ok for you to slam me for my opinions?

Its OK for you to slam my opinions and for me to slam yours, far as I'm concerned. But to slam someone for telling you about them in the first place ("Who cares about the reasons. [..] I don't care what your reasons are") when the thread had explicitly asked them to do so is just kinda bizarre (and yeah, rudeness to a newbie IMHO is worse than to someone like me).

Not to me. If you come on here ballsy enough to admit to being "the other woman" and give me reasons why you are, I think you are just as fair game as any of the rest of us. I am honest and I expect others to be honest. I have been called rude before and truly in this case it doesn't bother me because you are only called rude for speaking your mind when it happens to hit home with the person you're talking to.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 09:39 am
nimh wrote:
the thread is actually asking people to come forward and give their reasons, dont you think?

ya know, I thought the original post was a bit of a set-up, but always gotta give the benefit of the doubt
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 10:10 am
Chai Tea wrote:
Very interesting - I admire your candor.

Thanks - I thought I'd just throw it out there - its no skin of my back, and you asked <smiles>

Chai Tea wrote:
It doesn't matter even if the marriage is going through a rocky time. While you're still married you are obligated by that marriage to back away from temptation.
After the marriage ends. Go for it.

True of course. I'd hope to live by that standard if I ever marry myself. But I've had messy relationships (probably why its good I never married), so I know about (my) weaknesses. You see it a lot. Sometimes its just very scary to just cut your existing ties and step out into a life alone. You see a lot of affairs coming from that point where someone wants to make the jump out, but doesnt dare to venture out alone. The affair, the person to leave one's spouse for, then simultaneously becomes a useful excuse for making the break ("its not that I didnt love you, but now I fell in love with this (wo)man, I just cant help it, Ive got to follow my heart" somehow sounds better than "this relationship with you is unfulfilling, I am going out to seek someone better"), and a safety cover while venturing out (so you'll not be alone when you've left your spouse).

(I wonder how many affairs survive the bit where (s)he leaves his spouse for you - will (s)he still stay with you once (s)he's free of the old, unhappy marital bonds?)

So yeah, cowardice, fear, insecurity ... people.

Chai Tea wrote:
It would make me personally feel like I was being used to satisfy their desires. Which actually seem to be cool if you were using them back, expect for the presence of the other spouse.

All true.

Chai Tea wrote:
It's the sneaking, the lying, the breaking of a trust.

Well, thats mostly the cheating spouse who's gotta take all that on, though, not the "accomplice" - unless you go on common teaparties or something...

Chai Tea wrote:
Also, I appreciate a males point of view. It, at least on the surface validates my suppositions on the males perspective vs. the female perspective.

But she, the married person in question, was a woman ...

Chai Tea wrote:
Question: This woman, did it seem she was looking for another relationship, or did she just like screwing around?

Bit of both I suppose.

Chai Tea wrote:
So although, yes, it is the married person responsibility to "avoid the near temptation of sin" I'm also a believer in "you lie down with dogs, you wake up with fleas.

Dunno. My experience with serial cheaters (no marriages involved, but bfs/gfs) is that if someone cheats more than once, there's something up with the relationship. Something not right. Best would be to find out what and work on it, but sometimes there's also just incompatibility.

That someone cheats on his/her current bf/gf doesnt mean (s)he's the kind to cheat in every relationship. I was once in a long-term relationship where several times I had a lover. But in my next relationship, I never had any, and never felt the urge. And one of those lovers I'd had, who'd also spent the six or so years of her relationship having ever the odd affair, turned out in her next relationship to be perfectly able to be faithful as well.

(I'm thinking that sexual compatibility might just be much more important than people want to admit ... so you have people ending up in these relationships where you really love each other and have X reasons to stay with each other, but the sex just isnt there right, and then the blood creeps where it cannot go ... just one of many reasons, tho.)
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 10:12 am
No, no ehBeth - It wasn't a set up at all!

I hadn't anticipated getting the actual affair stories, but I supposed I'm not surprised, people want to vent.

From looking at all the posts on the marriage and relationship thread, I see the ongoing theme of people (mostly or all women) speaking candidly of their affairs with married people (ergo - married men)

As a married woman who is truly appreciated in my home for my high status of wife. I am chagrined at the number of women engaged in an affair, not seeming to care about the impact they are having on the status of being a wife......

Perphaps I should explain myself further

Being a wife in the true sense of the word, is a position of authority, wisdom and respect.
She (along with her mate), run a household that is responsible to the well being of every member in it. She makes thousands of decesions that effect the well being of her husband, children and society in general.
She deserves respect for her willingness to put her needs subordinate to others almost every day of her married life.
Being married is a sacrament - and if you don't believe in God - use and equivilant word meaning being in a state that should be honored.

A woman who is a wife should hold her head up high and proclaim to the world that for all intents and purposes, is holding this world together.

Where would we be without wives? We would not even be a civilization.

It should go without saying all of the above applies to husbands as well.

THAT is why I wonder what is the thought process of someone who undermines this important role.

And on this thread, until NIMH jumped in - it was getting a little tiresome hearing the nonsence from the peanut gallery, when I was trying to get some intelligent input.

Is that a bit clearer?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 10:20 am
Chai Tea wrote:
THAT is why I wonder what is the thought process of someone who undermines this important role.

In that case, you need to be talking to the husbands and wives who cheat - they are the ones who undermine the roles, as you've identified them.

Interesting perspective on the roles as well. Not one I share, but interesting to read.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 10:39 am
ehBeth wrote:

In that case, you need to be talking to the husbands and wives who cheat - they are the ones who undermine the roles, as you've identified them.

Ah, but THEY aren't the one's posting on A2K now are they?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 10:42 am
Quote:
And on this thread, until NIMH jumped in - it was getting a little tiresome hearing the nonsence from the peanut gallery, when I was trying to get some intelligent input.

Pretty hurtful statement for the ones who've written so far,
wouldn't you say so?

In reading this thread I have to agree with ehbeth: this
was a set-up from the first posting on. The few pro affair
answers you'd gotten, you dismissed in asking the other
99.9 % to respond (probably in the hopes to be more favorable with your experiences).

Personally, I don't have any experiences with adultery,
however, if I ever would be confronted with the issue, I'd
address it with my spouse, and my spouse only, as he
has committed himself to the rules we originally agreed upon.

The reason why women exclusively are seeking advice
in such relationship triangles is, that women mostly rely
on a network system with others and tend to discuss
problems in the open, whereas men could talk about fishing
tools with their close buddies for 10 hours straight and never
once address a problem they can't cope with alone.

I'm convinced there are enough male mistresses out there
as there are female, however men rarely feel compelled to discuss these issues openly. (except brave nimh Wink )
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 10:54 am
Chai Tea wrote:
ehBeth wrote:

They rarely are. That doesn't make it right to pick at the people who are not responsible for the survival of the marriage.

Which is why I think this thread was a set-up. You know who's posting at A2K - and you targeted them.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 11:10 am
nimh wrote:
I know about (my) weaknesses.

You see it a lot. Sometimes its just very scary to just cut your existing ties and step out into a life alone. You see a lot of affairs coming from that point where someone wants to make the jump out, but doesnt dare to venture out alone. The affair, the person to leave one's spouse for, then simultaneously becomes a useful excuse for making the break ("its not that I didnt love you, but now I fell in love with this (wo)man, I just cant help it, Ive got to follow my heart" somehow sounds better than "this relationship with you is unfulfilling, I am going out to seek someone better"), and a safety cover while venturing out (so you'll not be alone when you've left your spouse).

(I wonder how many affairs survive the bit where (s)he leaves his spouse for you - will (s)he still stay with you once (s)he's free of the old, unhappy marital bonds?)

So yeah, cowardice, fear, insecurity ... people.

Chai Tea wrote:
It's the sneaking, the lying, the breaking of a trust.

Well, thats mostly the cheating spouse who's gotta take all that on, though, not the "accomplice" - unless you go on common teaparties or something...

(I'm thinking that sexual compatibility might just be much more important than people want to admit ... so you have people ending up in these relationships where you really love each other and have X reasons to stay with each other, but the sex just isnt there right, and then the blood creeps where it cannot go ... just one of many reasons, tho.)

Ah - I love the first part of your quote above "But I know about my weakness"
It is just so hard for some people to admit they are wrong, or that what they are doing is wrong. Or in this case they have a weakness for something.

I believe it takes a really strong person to admit their weakness.

Hey, no one has to tell me it's hard to break off a relationship without having one in the wings. Been there.
The only thing that helped me in that situation was to visualize myself on a trapeeze. It's scary to think of letting go of what you know, but you never going to move on unless you do.

Yes, it certainly is easier for someone to tell someone, "I found someone else" rather than "It's not someone else, it's us." But, easier for who?
Relationships, making or breaking them, is not about doing the thing that's easist for you.

The sneaking, lying, cheating? No the single person has to live with that too.
Most people don't want to say to their family's friends and business associates, "hey, I met this really great person, and he/she's Married!"

How long do the affairs last if the marriage breaks up? Taking out of the equation the few that get together, marry and live happily ever after? Damn few I believe is the official number.
We all know that old hard saying "if they do it with ya, they'll do it to ya"

Sexuality? Yes, it is if not the most powerful, the one of the most powerful drives we have.
But as Katherine Hepburn so elequently stated in the African Queen - "Nature Mr. Allnut, is what we were put into this world to rise above"

Let's forget about whether is a married man, married woman, single man, single woman.

That point seems to be getting everyone's panties in a twist Surprised

Yes, the married party is responsible - the single person is too.

Anyone care to admit a weakness without following it with, "but........"
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 11:18 am
ehBeth wrote:
Chai Tea wrote:
ehBeth wrote:

They rarely are. That doesn't make it right to pick at the people who are not responsible for the survival of the marriage.

Which is why I think this thread was a set-up. You know who's posting at A2K - and you targeted them.

Sorry, not a set-up.
My response was flippant, the single one's ARE the ones I am trying to learn about.

Cutting to the chase - Everyone knows cheating on your spouse is wrong. Everyone knows having an affair with a married person is wrong.

I am not interested in hearing the tawdry little stories that got them into a situation.

I am wanting to learn what is their rationalization for doing something that everyone knows is wrong.

Why do I want to know?
Perhaps this can be translated into why people choose to do other things that everyone knows is wrong.
Stealing, lying, cheating on a test.

In other words, What's in it for you?

I'm trying to learn more about human nature, a life-long passion.
This is the target group I'm trying to learn about right now.

Why else does anyone ask questions here?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 11:42 am
CalamityJane wrote:
Quote:

Pretty hurtful statement for the ones who've written so far,
wouldn't you say so?

In reading this thread I have to agree with ehbeth: this
was a set-up from the first posting on. The few pro affair
answers you'd gotten, you dismissed in asking the other
99.9 % to respond (probably in the hopes to be more favorable with your experiences).

Personally, I don't have any experiences with adultery,
however, if I ever would be confronted with the issue, I'd
address it with my spouse, and my spouse only, as he
has committed himself to the rules we originally agreed upon.

The reason why women exclusively are seeking advice
in such relationship triangles is, that women mostly rely
on a network system with others and tend to discuss
problems in the open, whereas men could talk about fishing
tools with their close buddies for 10 hours straight and never
once address a problem they can't cope with alone.

I'm convinced there are enough male mistresses out there
as there are female, however men rarely feel compelled to discuss these issues openly. (except brave nimh Wink )

CJ - I feel your comments are actually reinforcing what I'm trying to communicate, evidently poorly. If you read my posts from the beginning, I acknowledge it's pretty much woman in the M&R threads, and of course that because we are the big communicators. Ergo, that's why I'm asking woman, because (a) there no men around, save NIMH (b) woman are around and (c) woman will share.
If I could get men to share about it, I would, but being pragmatic, I decided to aprroach it with the materials at hand.

I don't think there are any "pro-affair" people out there Smile
I don't think most people actively look for a married person (although they are out there)
What I was reacting about with the posters was the unproductive way they were addressing this.....
One can only listen to....."you just don't know", "wait until something happens to you" "you shouln't judge" (Actually, isn't that an oxymoron, a person judging me telling me I shouldn't judge?) and on and on.
As I said before, I don't live in a vacuum, and I'm no Rhodes scholar, but listening to the (and I'll say it again) peanut gallery making the same 2 or 3 points over and over does not a discussion make.

If, as NIMH did, steps forwards and says 'no,actually I don't consider the other spouse much at all' that's fine, it's an answer. Rest assured I'm not going to condemn that person.

The act itself is wrong, and the person who says 'I don't consider the other spouse' knows that is wrong, but is willing to do it to get what they want.
That is a valid answer, as well as "well, I was sincerely thinking it would work out" or "I was just being stupid" or any number of answers.

I'm trying to see the various thought processes that go into the decesion to commit adultery, or be involved with someone commiting adultery.

Or, is much of the world on auto-pilot?
0 Replies

trfirst

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 01:01 pm
OK Chai point taken with my comments about judging. No I am not a liar for coming back to post just curious to see others responses, and as I read I wanted to tell you some things. Guilty as charged for misreading your first post, I did think I was giving you my input on why I feel some affairs happen as you requested and how they feel while in the situation. I felt by writing in my first post that it is hard to pin point why affairs happen was a fair assumption, I believe they happen for all different reasons. Sometimes a way of people expressing their opinion and trying to answer questions is giving their own experience on how they got in the situation they are in.
I don't believe any reason given can make it morally correct, if we as single people would make the choice to stay away until they are divorced or let them work out their marriages and do not get caught up in all the **** they tell us we too would be better off in the long run. If the married individual would keep their commitments they made when getting married also many less people would be hurt, I just feel there are no good answers when discussing affairs because yes they are wrong, it does happen in this crazy world we live in. I know after reading a lot of the threads my self even after reading mine, I do believe it is important for us as single people to take responsibility for our own actions in the affairs. I hear all of us say it is the person that has made the commitment in the marriage but truth is what about the commitment we make to ourselves no matter married or single.

Chai, I have no idea if this is even what you are looking for but these are my thoughts whether agreed or not agreed.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 01:13 pm
trfirst wrote:
I hear all of us say it is the person that has made the commitment in the marriage but truth is what about the commitment we make to ourselves no matter married or single.

Nicely said.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 01:32 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
trfirst wrote:
I hear all of us say it is the person that has made the commitment in the marriage but truth is what about the commitment we make to ourselves no matter married or single.

Nicely said.

Yeah, that was really cool. Cool
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 01:43 pm
Quote:
If, as NIMH did, steps forwards and says 'no,actually I don't consider the other spouse much at all' that's fine, it's an answer. Rest assured I'm not going to condemn that person.

The act itself is wrong, and the person who says 'I don't consider the other spouse' knows that is wrong, but is willing to do it to get what they want.

Actually - but I know I'm a bit of a world-strange dogmatic about this - I dont think the third person is doing something wrong. And trust me, saying that doesnt come all that easily, because to complicate matters further I've also been cheated on by a long-time girlfriend (six-year relationship, African dancer (or two), you dont wanna know).

I may be atypical in that I'm really a bit of a fundamentalist about this personal responsibility thing. Perhaps through the experience of being on both sides, or perhaps because I was raised by a strong-willed feminist (will come back to that in a minute). When I cheated on my girlfriend, it was entirely my own decision, and it's a conscious enough one. Anyone who will go on to you about "gripped by passion" and "I didnt know what I was doing" is obfuscating. There is always this one moment - it may come at different points for different people, for the one when (s)he asks someone out on a date, for another just before kissing, and for a third the moment before he enters her - that you realise that you are making a choice here: one clouded (or fuelled) by passion, perhaps, but still the moment when you know: my partner would not agree. Unless you're totally drunk out of your mind, I suppose (wouldnt know about that), you will at one point think: oh what the hell. I want this - anyway.

My point here: when I did so, it was my responsibility entirely. Nobody else's. My lover didn't make me do it; I was no willess victim of her treacherous charms or my instincts (we are not animals, even if we'd like the excuse sometimes). And I would not accept anyone trying to lay the responsibility for it at her doorstep, I'd have been furious if my gf had tried to approach her and go off at her. Its me you want: if I hadnt wanted it to happen, it wouldnt have happened, I'm a grown man.

By that standard I hold others too. When my girlfriend let that guy kiss her, again and again, it was because she wanted him to. She could have said no at any point from there, she wasn't a child either. So what should I blame him for? If I'd been him I'd have done the same thing - hey, she was pretty damn cute. All he did was take an offer, however implicit. And the wrong that occurs in adultery, IMO, takes place in that gesture, in that offer. The offer she made. It was nobody else's responsibility to stop her for her own good. To tell her that what she thinks she wants is not really good for her, to protect her against herself.

This is where the upbringing thing comes in, I suppose. My mum was on the streets demanding to be "boss in own belly", as the abortion rights movement back then had it in Dutch. Nobody else but the woman has anything to say about what she does with her body - no man is to tell her she doesn't really want what she thinks she wants, she must just not have thought things through, He Knows Better. He'll take care of her, ensure she doesn't do anything wrong. I'm not going to tell a woman that I Know Better: if my girlfriend cheats on me, I'll be angry and tell her how I'm hurt - and I can draw my own consequences when she doesn't take that into account and does it again anyway (I left homegirl in the end). But I can't tell her what to do and I wont expect or want any other man, least the man she sleeps with, to take on that responsibility for her. Boss in own belly, OK; then deal with the responsibility that comes with that. Vice versa though, that means that if someone decides to sleep with me even though she is involved (like that married woman did, or that ex-lover of mine), I assume she knows what she's doing as well. That she does it for a reason that's good enough for her, whether it be lust, a bad relationship or perhaps even love. That's all that counts: if it's a good enough reason for her, then it's good enough for me. I don't feel the obligation to second-guess it.

Thats basically the rule I've gone by through an admittedly somewhat messy history. You could call it my rationalisation, I suppose - though the rationalisation was there before the affairs. I didnt come up with it to excuse myself - I guess if anything, you could say the ensuing mess shows the conviction is wrong, LOL. I stand by it though <seriously>. I think woman (and man) deserves to be treated like an independent, conscious adult and I try to do so. That does mean

Course, I suppose it's different if someone actually falls into your arms in a drunken daze, or if someone is obviously tormented by whether to let go or not - nothing wrong with "are you sure you want to do this?". But if someone really does decide she wants you? Then, from a certain point onwards, that's something she decided is what she wants or needs to do - and it might turn out to be a bad thing or a good thing (as in affairs that people use to finally rip themselves out of bad relationships). Either way, her call - whether it be my cheating girlfriend's or that of the woman I slept with who was already involved. I really don't think the third party carries any responsibility for the couple's relationship, so I don't actually think (s)he does do wrong. But then I already said that I'm a bit of a world-strange dogmatic about this.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 05:57 pm
Interesting post, nimh:)

I followed everything you wrote there, but i am wondering: Do you ever consider that dating/sleeping with a girl who is with someone else is going to be a bad deal FOR YOU? Or is it a gamble you are willing to take- to get involved in a complicated situation?

I came real close to getting involved with a guy who was w/someone. He was sexysexy (blow my mind) and we had great intelligent conversations. The guy was clear that he wanted me; HE had already made a decision about cheating. However, it made me spooked out. I questioned this guy seriously after hearing he was up for an affair. Suddenly, he wasn't so fantastic. He was a guy who could and would hurt people he cared about.

Do you ever get turned off knowing the one you are with is cheating on someone else? Or is it exciting and add to the desire to have her?

thanks
0 Replies

Tijeras

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 09:56 pm
Agreed with TR, CJ and Nimh
CJ is right --> women talk about this, men don't. I would really like to hear the married man point of view. I haven't yet.

TR--> nicely said, and I mean it.

NIMH--> I also agree with the "will" part, i.e. the fact that the married person cheats is nobody's responsability but his/hers. In any triangle, all have their piece: the cheater, the cheated, and the other (wo)man.

In our christian tradition we need to find sinners and those who carry the guilt, for the rest to feel better (I behave so well).

I am not pro-affaire either, but if you do have one, let your spouse know. Worse than the affaire itself, are the long term lies.
0 Replies

MorningDew

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 09:59 pm
where are the married men?
To give their male point of view? I am quite curious.
I cannot believe that all married men who are cheating actually enjoy it. There must be a reason to do so, or several reasons, irrational, but there are.
0 Replies

Bekaboo

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 12:51 am
Chai Tea wrote:

I am not interested in hearing the tawdry little stories that got them into a situation.
I am wanting to learn what is their rationalization for doing something that everyone knows is wrong.

Grr but how do you expect to GET the rationalisation without listening to their "tawdry little stories"? You people really frustrate me. Take bess - her motivation is that there is a long standing relationship there that has never quite died, that she would have maybe continued if it wasn't for the fact that in the craziness of breakup her exboyfriend went and got married.
That's pretty much all she wrote apart from explaining the time scale and how they got to that point. You have your reason. Right there. And I didn't hear any congratulations, only her being jumped on.
0 Replies

bess

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 03:40 am
What a response!

Thanks Nimh, Morning Dew, Bekaboo and anyone else I've missed.

Bekaboo, yes you're right, my rather long drawn out story, although obviously tiresome to some on here, was purely recited as a way of showing the reasons this thing has happened. Not all affairs are the result of a 5 minuit meeting and nothing more than lust!

I'm not proud of what's happening and in fact come close to finishing it last night (nothing to do with the slamming I got on here by the way)but more to do with the additional anxiety all this is causing to my MM not to say the upset it causes me, but he's pleaded with me to see him Friday, so have to think about things until then.

As the old saying goes "Love hurts"

bess
0 Replies