Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2022 09:09 am
@edgarblythe,
You have my sympathy.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2022 09:50 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

meh. I wanted to get low, I'd emulate your discussion "style".

Get a grip for pete's sake.

Well this explains a lot about the deterioration of discussion here.
My crime is questioning and criticizing political parties. You think mocking a really decent dead man is funny.

I’m grateful not to meet your standards in any way.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2022 10:27 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
There was the usual Republican song and dance, but no articles like the one in CNN that I ever read.

My point is simply that Obama didn't have a global pandemic and the associated fallout dumped in his lap. It possible that a president with better communication skills than Biden may have been able to ward off general criticism but that's just speculation.
Lash

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2022 10:52 am
@hightor,
I think it’s more about Biden having a congressional majority and the opportunity to help regular Americans, yet he refuses. He hasn’t put any mustard behind getting these things done.

He’s passively letting / seemingly encouraging two republicans in democrat clothing kill the Build Back Better infrastructure bill—making a lot of progressives believe he NEVER wanted it to pass in the first place. It looks like Manchin is doing Biden’s handiwork.

Biden’s popularity polling is tanking as a result.

It’s not just his poor communication skills.

He HAS the ability to support good things for regular Americans; he chooses not to.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2022 10:55 am
@Lash,
What should he do, no vague platitudes, real things he could do in the here and now with the current parliamentary make up?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2022 10:58 am
@hightor,
My point is there is lots he could do and isn't.
hightor wrote:

Quote:
There was the usual Republican song and dance, but no articles like the one in CNN that I ever read.

My point is simply that Obama didn't have a global pandemic and the associated fallout dumped in his lap. It possible that a president with better communication skills than Biden may have been able to ward off general criticism but that's just speculation.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2022 11:15 am
He could get a lot of votes with things he could do by executive order. But if he doesn't find a way to get the voting legislation approved this year millions of votes on his side likely will be lost.
neptuneblue

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2022 11:18 am
@edgarblythe,
I disagree. I might not like that he's doing nothing, but I will NEVER vote Republican ever again.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2022 11:21 am
@neptuneblue,
I made the same vow when Reagan was president. But if you're not allowed to vote just because you are expected to vote Democrat or if states are allowed to throw out election results they don't like, it's looking pretty sad right now.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2022 11:47 am
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:

I disagree. I might not like that he's doing nothing, but I will NEVER vote Republican ever again.

I agree.

I seldom simply withhold my vote...but if the Democrats nominate someone for whom I feel I cannot vote, I WILL withhold my vote rather than voting for a Republican.
Real Music

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2022 12:25 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I seldom simply withhold my vote...but if the Democrats nominate someone for whom I feel I cannot vote, I WILL withhold my vote rather than voting for a Republican.

1. As far the Trump and the republicans are concern, you choosing to withhold your vote and not voting for a democrat is almost as good as you voting republican. Either way, that helps Trump and other republicans get elected.

2. As far as Trump and the republicans are concern, you choosing to throw away your vote on a third party candidate is almost as good as you voting republican. Either way, that helps Trump and other republicans get elected.

3. I simply want to point out that who we choose to vote for has real consequences.

4. I also want to point out that choosing to stay home and not voting has real consequences.

5. I also want to point out that throwing your vote away on a third party candidate has real consequences.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2022 12:42 pm
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

Quote:

1. As far the Trump and the republicans are concern, you choosing to withhold your vote and not voting for a democrat is almost as good as you voting republican. Either way, that helps Trump and other republicans get elected.

2. As far as Trump and the republicans are concern, you choosing to throw away your vote on a third party candidate is almost as good as you voting republican. Either way, that helps Trump and other republicans get elected.

3. I simply want to point out that who we choose to vote for has real consequences.

4. I also want to point out that choosing to stay home and not voting has real consequences.

5. I also want to point out that throwing your vote away on a third party candidate has real consequences.

I want to point out that I have NEVER YET withheld my vote.

I also want to point out that I seriously doubt I would ever vote for a Republican again...and that if the Democrats chose someone for whom I could not in good conscience vote (like if they nominated Trump, Jr.)...I WOULD WITHHOLD MY VOTE NO MATTER THE CONSEQUENCES OF MY ACTION.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2022 01:06 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
But if he doesn't find a way to get the voting legislation approved this year millions of votes on his side likely will be lost.

He can't do that by executive order.

His electoral majority is only such on paper. If three House Democrats withhold their votes (and my Democratic congressman has, at times, voted with the GOP) any bill will be defeated. And even if bills are crafted to make it through the House, he can't count on fifty votes in the Senate. I disagree that Manchin is "doing his work for him". Manchin isn't working for anyone but himself.

The Democrats lost House members in '20. People voted for Biden but didn't vote for Dems down the ticket. We are looking at the result.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2022 01:26 pm
@hightor,
I don't recall suggesting that in any way shape or form. The keyword in that sentence is legislation. But go on and misrepresent it all you like.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2022 05:16 pm
https://scontent.fhou1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/272066950_1125336481535314_7704144296130860941_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=PPqLVpmuCkQAX_DnJTF&_nc_ht=scontent.fhou1-2.fna&oh=00_AT8yNpOO0cInOCsdS1T79YiwxX22ZqzqJSCPN3_cFfq_TQ&oe=61EAA1A4
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2022 06:39 pm
@Frank Apisa,
What Frank said here speaks a truth: Your vote has to be earned, not taken for granted. He may disagree with me on a number of points but he understands the principle involved.
Frank Apisa wrote:

neptuneblue wrote:

I agree.

0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2022 06:51 pm
@Lash,
But Lash, we don't know what's going on behind the scenes, do we? He and his team may be reaching out, etc., etc., etc. I'm not an American, can't and didn't vote, and don't know your peeps down there as well as you guys, but it seems to me that he's being stymied at every turn. I don't think many people would be able to function well if that is the case. He inherited a hot mess, is constantly having his hands tied, and is not a charismatic speaker. He's doomed. Add the pandemic to all of that - who WOULD do well? Or who do you think would do better?
Lash

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2022 08:44 pm
@Mame,
The politicians and activists I respect speak out for what they want and against what they don’t want.

Sanders, Cori Bush, Tlaib, Ilhan, & AOC do it all the time. They confront Manchin and Sinema in the media and constantly call for an end to student loans, and for Medicare for All, etc. Progressive policies.

Biden has the power to change these problems for Americans—he just doesn’t. The problem facing him and the Dems is that the Democrats used to be the party of the people and they’re just not anymore. During the Clinton years, Clinton saw the problem of Republicans out-funding Dems through corporate donations. Clinton solved the problem by getting in line for those corporate payoffs, too—netting Dems much more money than they could get from unions and citizen groups. So, he grew the Dems financially by ALSO taking payoffs from corporations…but,

Now, we have two corporate-aligned parties and NO ONE is seeing to the needs of regular people in this country. It.Is.A.Crisis.

Biden definitely could do more. He chooses not to because he doesn’t want to. He doesn’t have to. He got his one term. It looks like he was always just a one term president whose primary job was to prevent Bernie sanders from being elected.

I’m surprised that Kamala doesn’t seem to be making more of a play for the 2024 slot. It’s like they’re placeholders for someone else.

They’re just preserving the 1950s status quo for the next elitist jerk.

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2022 08:57 pm
@hightor,
Getting cheap points for misreading my post.
hightor wrote:

Quote:
But if he doesn't find a way to get the voting legislation approved this year millions of votes on his side likely will be lost.

He can't do that by executive order.

His electoral majority is only such on paper. If three House Democrats withhold their votes (and my Democratic congressman has, at times, voted with the GOP) any bill will be defeated. And even if bills are crafted to make it through the House, he can't count on fifty votes in the Senate. I disagree that Manchin is "doing his work for him". Manchin isn't working for anyone but himself.

The Democrats lost House members in '20. People voted for Biden but didn't vote for Dems down the ticket. We are looking at the result.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2022 09:03 pm
Headline on Yahoo News
INSIDER
Romney says he never got a call from the White House asking him to support a voting-rights bill

0 Replies